HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Discussion
Shut Down but no Crash...Hmmmm

Here is my motor in my 18" profile F22- Hobbyking 1806N 2500kv Brushless Micro Motor (19g) - Up until a couple days ago the motor powered the plane flawlessly and performance is exciting. Out of the blue yesterday, temp was 75 degrees, everything shut down in flight. Before impact the electronics reset and I was able to land with no problem. Just to be on the safe side I replaced the receiver and ESC (10 amp) one at a time trying to isolate the issue. 800mah 3S batteries are fully charged. Still shuts down, loss of power from ESC to the receiver but it will reset quickly discovered while static testing. I did not replace the motor but I'm wondering after many high speed flights if the motor is failing (high amps), overheating the ESC for a moment then shutting it down to the overheat situation. One thing, I have noticed a different sound in motor operation lately.

Any discussion would be appreciated.
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; May 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,854 Posts
How many servos? I know you probably have micro servos, but they may still be heating up the BEC, causing it to shut down, because of the 3S voltage. The different sound to the motor could be a bearing issue, causing it to draw more current and heat up the ESC - have you tested it with a wattmeter?
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old May 22, 2012, 03:20 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,024 Posts
If you get the same result with different Rx and ESC, then the finger definately points at the motor as the culprit. Does the motor feel different -- roughness when turning by hand, side-to-side and/or end-to-end slop for instance? A wattmeter should tell you whether it's overloading the ESC.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
I'll put my WattsUp wattmeter on it today and check amp draw. There are two micro servos operating the elevons and with many successful flights up till now I would not suspect a BEC problem. Several times while static testing the motor, at high rpm, it shook and squalled then stopped just before the esc/receiver shutdown, however, the esc would quickly reset, power reestablished to the receiver, the motor would tone as when first connected to the battery and would be ready to run again. Motor does not have any roughness or slop.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,802 Posts
From the last post you made it don't sound like the motor to me,this might sound strange as you said you have had a good few flights with this set up,but have you checked all solder joints,especially if you have changed any plugs on the ESC,battery and so on,as you might have a dry solder joint,just a thought as this has happened to me before and i thought it was everything apart from what it really was which was one of my solder joints in the end.

Let us know how you get on.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old May 23, 2012, 09:02 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Motor pulls 7.6 amps WOT.

Checked all connections and solder joints when the problem began. I did find one motor to esc connector not completely seated together but it appeared to be making adequate connection. No indication of heat build up on the connector.

I've avoided wondering if my DX7 could be the problem. Of course, I'll eliminate all other sources before pointing the finger at it. I will program it to my DX6i to eliminate the transmitter as the cause of the problem if I cannot pinpoint it elsewhere..

I installed a different motor yesterday and during static run up there was no adverse issues. Amp draw of the new motor is 7.6 amps.

Replacement motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail

When the wind dies down I'll give it a flight test.

Sure has been a mystery.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Another thought....I'm using a prop saver with the o-ring to secure the prop. The problem occurs at 1/2 throttle and if I go beyond that point there is no shutdown. Now I am wondering if it could be as simple as after many flights the prop bore has wobbled out some and the o-ring has relaxed enough to create vibration. I've read about some saying not to use prop savers on high rpm motors but this motor has a prop saver factory installed and I don't think it can be removed. Without the prop there is no problem and the motor runs any speed with no problem.

It could be as simple as replacing the prop and o-ring.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
Get rid of those O-rings, use the World's Best Prop Saver bands made with Thera-Band blue exercise tubing. You have to make them yourself so they have to be good!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419378

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Thanks, Jack,

Was considering using surgical tubing but certainly would like to try Thera-Band. Will have to get some ordered.

Allan
Old May 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
Other forms of surgical tubing have been much used and will work much better than O-rings. The Thera-Band exercise tubing just seems to be better in strength and elasticity than the common yellowish colored surgical tubing and slingshot rubbers.

Jack
Old May 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Would I have to order Thera-Band or do you think can I get it some place locally...like a medical supply?

Allan
Old May 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
I got my first sample from a local physical therapy clinic. They had a 250 foot box of it and just gave a couple of feet of it when I asked about it. They give it to people to do certain exercises and consider it just another consumable. So rehab clinics like that or at a hospital or medical center might have it.

It is a $1.50 a foot shipped do you from eBay last I checked, lots of people selling it there by the foot. A foot will make nearly 100 1/8" slices and all you need is a dowel and a razor blade or eXacto knife and a few minutes of time. Lots of info in that thread.

Jack
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:21 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Update:

Flying my UM PoleCat indoors yesterday I experienced the same total shutdown in flight as with the others I mentioned above.

My DX7 goes back to Horizon soon for a tuneup. I cannot rely on it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Additional Update

Sent my DX7 back to Horizon. They called this morning and said the tx has range issues and will require a replacement rf board. Total repair: $71.00.

Going to make me real gun shy purchasing used equipment and never again will I buy a used transmitter.

Now all I have to do is learn to trust it.

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Jun 18, 2012 at 02:26 PM.