HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Its just like that ...in the sabre the rotor barely clears the moulded in thrust tube and that basically becomes the shroud
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Thanks Keenan. Found some of your posts in another thread
Any suggestions about how to connect a fabricated shroud to th stator ring?
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Bill if you look at pic #8, I had 4 of the bell mouths pulled by a friend. I need to get more pulled for myself. Sorry i know that does not help you right now. Maybe you will be interested in this I'm having great results with a GP motor, GP 30 mm rotor cut to 25mm in a 25 mm Shapeways 5 stator housing. 73 grams of thrust on a 180 3 cell with no worries of burning up the motor. You have to be very careful of the GP 30 mm on 3 cells, you can burn it up. 73 grams of thrust will get the F-35 up 50 mph and unlimited vertical, that combo should come in at under 65 grams. So far it's the best combo I've come up with.
Thanks Sean
au117 is offline Find More Posts by au117
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:41 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by au117 View Post
Bill if you look at pic #8, I had 4 of the bell mouths pulled by a friend. I need to get more pulled for myself. Sorry i know that does not help you right now. Maybe you will be interested in this I'm having great results with a GP motor, GP 30 mm rotor cut to 25mm in a 25 mm Shapeways 5 stator housing. 73 grams of thrust on a 180 3 cell with no worries of burning up the motor. You have to be very careful of the GP 30 mm on 3 cells, you can burn it up. 73 grams of thrust will get the F-35 up 50 mph and unlimited vertical, that combo should come in at under 65 grams. So far it's the best combo I've come up with.
Thanks Sean
Any chance your friend could pull a few extra bells? I'm happy to pay anything reasonable and postage shouldn't be bad.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Any chance your friend could pull a few extra bells? I'm happy to pay anything reasonable and postage shouldn't be bad.
Bill I have used a top of a water bottle to make a bell. Just cut it down until it fits.

Tony
T-spin is online now Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
thanks t spin that should work
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
I flew mine yesterday, 3 tries to get it in the air. It was a little nose heavy so I flew it holding full up most of the time. The thrust vectoring is very powerful.
I only had elev. and left - right thrust, no elevons. It is fast and looks good. The 2 bad launches damaged the nose so I am rebuilding the nose today, easy.
Jack
Jack Brewer is offline Find More Posts by Jack Brewer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-spin View Post
Bill I have used a top of a water bottle to make a bell. Just cut it down until it fits.

Tony
Thanks Tony. Gonna try that tonight.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Jack,
I had to graft several new noses on my fleet of 35s. It's not that bad. Glad you're having success.
Bill,
Let us know how the bell mouth works out.
t spin, thanks again.
I wish I thought of that.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Oct 2007
136 Posts
HI Guys! This build is really a blessing! Im planning to build one my self.. This is way to much cool for me to pass..i usually get lazy in build..and so hard to order replacement parts to ship here in our country.

Thanks to AU17 for the efforts! He should get a nobel price for this! Your name will be definitely be added to my build as a decal

Just some questions...sorry if i did not see any responses reg my questions on the recent pages..

- What was the best f35 version that will fly on a 35mm set up? This came from a sky angel BAE nano hawk that i recently crashed..

- Can i use fixed nozzle and fly it with out the TV?

-What kind of material did you use for puty or filing for styros?

Thanks!
mikeramos is offline Find More Posts by mikeramos
Last edited by mikeramos; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:45 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
Painting!

au117,

Thank you so much for sharing your plans, I have just about finished up my F-35C. I have been searching through this thread for tips on painting, and I have some miniwax polycrylic on the way.

I have two questions though:

1.) did you just paint on the polycrylic, and sand the entire bird 3-4 times in between?

2.) what color and brand paint (is it spray paint?) do you recommend? What you have is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks!
DoubleOne is offline Find More Posts by DoubleOne
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
How much throw d i need on the elevons and also wheres the cg?
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan smith View Post
How much throw d i need on the elevons and also wheres the cg?
Look at the wing pattern it has the c/g marked on it

Tony
T-spin is online now Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
mikeramos,
Yes, you can build the F-35 without the thrust vectoring. I would recommend the C model, it torques less. All my A models have taken a bit of right on the thrust cone for proper left to right thrust angle. Meaning the plane will fly out of my hand straight and not roll left into the ground. At slower speeds and high thrust, the thrust angles take over. Being able to adjust this at the radio is nice. Wish I could comment on your 35mm. If the power is there and it's not to heavy, I would look at scaling the model up by 25%.
DoubleOne,
First filler, Dap light weight Spackle. Fill sand, fill sand, you know the drill. Then polycyclic, same thing. Do this until you like what what you see. At this stage the polycyclic has sealed the foam. I paint with lacquer it is very light. I use a product called Campbell and buy it by the gal. Decatur paint and varnish Decatur IL. I then paint the canopies with Testers chrome and sand with 1000 grit You will see every imperfection. Paint sand, paint sand, then a thin coat of copper Testers. Hope that helps guys.
Keenan smith,
I will get deflections and expos tonight.
T -spin,
Thanks once again.
Last edited by au117; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Pitch 3/8 up and down, 20 expo
Roll 3/8, for C model 20 to 25% more down then up. 5 to 10% for the A model. 20 expo
Yaw about 1/8 I use a high exp. 40
The differential in roll should be close. Cleans the roll up a lot.