HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
The flight was done on 2S. Is 3S safe with this fan/ESC combo?

It is a little anemic, basically just a bank and yank, going around in circles around the field.

Despite that, its an awesome plane to watch as it screams around the sky.

Anyone going to do one with Eflite Mig15 gear?
3S is fine for short bursts with the stock GP rotor from what I hear---I went with a clipped down GWS rotor from 6 blades to 3 blades on my Nitro Hawk with GP motor/shroud and plan to run this system hard...Amps seem to be easily in check with this rotor....

It's all about experimentation...If the airframe has so much drag it won't allow the fan/motor to unload then going with the cut down rotor as I have in my Hawk isn't the way to go...Raw thrust is needed to do high alpha and I believe the the stock GP system on 3S is the way to go to power out of high alpha...Since you're just "blipping" the throttle when in high alpha to keep the nose up I'm thinking that the stock GP motor/fan would do fine----But, a 10 amp ESC may be needed to provide a buffer...

I don't know all of this to be true but it just makes sense to me..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of another 5 minutes work...Back of the wing glued to the front with a carbon spar sandwich...Pic shows the top and bottom...Even now in this simplistic stage the glued parts are unbelievably ridgid...A testimony to a great design!!!

Kevin
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
It'd be cool if there were laser cut kits for these, along with the plastic components. I bet that would sell well

I brought my F-35 to the LHS today. The first employee asked "what is that, a rocket?" I guess micro EDFs are still hard to grasp
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Last edited by mkcp40; Aug 14, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,244 Posts
I would go for a laser cut kit !
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,314 Posts
still need to finish mine, been exhausted from working in the heat the last few days but wanna have it flying by Sunday. I'm going Blue Angel after a test flight if all goes well I'll build a second more powerful version.
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
I've decided to go a different route gearing up this plane...I'm going to go with ailerons and elevators instead of elevons...The elevators will get the single 2g servo and each aileron will get a 1.5g servo...

The reason for me going this way instead of elevons is that I want to fly high alpha as well as fast flight...The ailerons will give me better aileron control than the small flying surfaces of the elevons...I also have a micro gyro that I might experiment with on the ailerons to prevent wing rocking in high alpha...

The RX pictured is a 6 channel micro that I found on Ebay...I'm going to sell my AnyLink RX/Module system...

Kevin
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Well, now you've got me thinking Kevin. I have an AS3X Mig board sitting on my bench - be great for slow flight.....

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Well, now you've got me thinking Kevin. I have an AS3X Mig board sitting on my bench - be great for slow flight.....

An AS3X RX would be great for this plane!!!...I would install it if I had one---I'm also going with the GP fan/motor but on 3S...This combo should allow me plenty of thrust with some reserve to ride the throttle in high alpha...

Due to the AS3X reports I've read this RX should be good for high alpha/slow flight---It seems that the AS3X in the MiG gets a bit twitchy when flown fast on 3S...

I'm not going to incorporate thrust vectoring on this model at this moment...

Kevin
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Flimsy tail surfaces are to blame for that. A beef up tends to fix the problem.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,314 Posts
I'm planning to finish mine tonight with the AS3X board and aileron, rudder, and elevator. Rudders will be coupled via a pushrod that worked well on a bigger model. pics to come.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17 View Post
I'm planning to finish mine tonight with the AS3X board and aileron, rudder, and elevator. Rudders will be coupled via a pushrod that worked well on a bigger model. pics to come.
PLEASE---Post pics!!!.........

Kevin
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,314 Posts
well almost done and ran into a snag, my motor broke a lead, put it up for the night and a fresh start tomorrow. It is now the F-35 Superman edition as i didnt have the paint for the Blue Angel and improvised.

will try the mcross 30mm fan i was lucky to get and it should be hoverable
Last edited by MustangAce17; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added pics
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
finished the #4 F-35. will post decals this weak
au117 is offline Find More Posts by au117
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:15 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
I’m so fortunate to live close to the Master Builder AKA, AU117. I flew all three F35’s Sunday morning, and WOW!!!!! They all flew great as I’ve become accustom to feeling while flying Sean’s planes. The A model is an axial drill bit when asked to roll quickly! But as docile as an advanced sport model if needed. The C model is a pure pleasure to fly, stable smooth it’s roll is a little slower but it’s no slouch! I’m looking forward to getting some time and getting back to building mine! Thanks again Sean! I really enjoyed it.

Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,595 Posts
man, that looks incredible for such a small model!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by au117 View Post
finished the #4 F-35. will post decals this weak
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut