SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined May 2001
2,907 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Sold
Ultimate EasyStar UAV/FPV Package - $350 OBO

Here is a new, never-crashed EasyStar UAV/FPV aircraft. It can be flown with or without the FPV camera to save weight. The aircraft is completely assembled and everything is already installed. The batteries are charged, and the 72MHz receiver can bind to ANY 72MHz radio. Bind your transmitter, and go fly! Upload a mission from APM, and have it fly itself! However, I would probably NOT recommend this for a rank beginner...

RC: 72MHz
UAV Comms: 900MHz
FPV: 1.2GHz

Here is everything that is included in this package:

AIRCRAFT
  • Airframe: Multiplex EasyStar airframe with ailerons and larger rudder added + ParkFlyer Plastics plastic belly pan
  • Servos: 4 - S3101S Turnigy servos (rudder, elevator, two aileron). These are similar in size and specs to the Hitec HS-81. They were chosen because my testing showed they were unaffected by the VTX.
  • Motor: hexTronik (HXT) 2835 (380S) 2200kv inrunner brushless motor
  • Speed Control: Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
  • Prop: APC 6x4 thin electric prop
  • Batteries: Zippy 20C 2200mAh 3S batteries, 2 included (the plane will fly with a single battery or you can mount them on the shoulder and fly with two for longer duration)
  • Receiver: Corona RP8D1 Synthesized 72MHz receiver (compatible with all 72MHz radios)

• AUW
    With FPV pod and 2 batteries: 1368 grams/48 ounces (19oz/sq foot wing loading)
    Without FPV pod and 1 battery: 1029 grams/36 ounces (14oz/sq foot wing loading)

UAV COMPONENTS

FPV COMPONENTS

THINGS TO KNOW
  • The Ardupilot circuit is fully enclosed into the fuselage. You can not remove it without essentially cutting the aircraft apart. However, you can access the USB port (for loading missions), you can access the flight/configuration switch, and you can also access the binding button on the Corona receiver so you can "bind" it to your 72MHz radio, regardless of what channel you are on.

• If you leave the FPV pan/tilt pod off the fuselage, you can fly the aircraft with one battery in the fuse (the original EasyStar canopy is included for this purpose). In this mode you can fly as regular RC or UAV. Leave the VTX unplugged to avoid it drawing current.

• If you want to fly with the FPV pod, the CG will be offset such that you won't be able to keep the battery in the fuselage. There are mounting locations on the wing saddle and you can put 2 batteries above the wing, connected with the included Y-adapter. The plane will be much heavier in this configuration but it will balance and fly, and the second battery will increase capacity since you will have the additional draw of the VTX.

• The wings are removable for transport. Each wing has two plugs that connect into the side of the fuselage - one plug for the aileron servo, and the right wing has an additional plug for the 900MHz XBee, and the left wing has an additional plug for the 1.2Ghz VTX.

• Airspeed Sensor Issue: My airspeed sensor worked fine on the bench but after the aircraft was assembled, APM began giving me bizarre airspeed readings. Through a small access hole I cut in the belly of the aircraft, I was able to verify the sensor is putting out the correct voltages we would expect, so I can confirm the sensor is working. However I could not figure out why APM was reporting incorrect readings. Without cutting further into the fuselage it was not possible to troubleshoot any further. The airspeed sensor remains installed in the aircraft but it is unplugged from the APM. The APM does NOT need the airspeed sensor to fly the aircraft, and it will correctly detect that it is not attached (since it is unplugged). Just something to be aware of... you still get the sensor, and I know it works, and you can probably get it even to work with APM, since I was able to before installation, but it will have to wait until you remove the equipment to another airframe.

• Weights, and Why I am Selling: If you notice above, the weight of the full aircraft if you fly with the video camera, is pretty much excessive for this airframe. I wanted to combine full UAV/FPV into one plane, but a tricked out EasyStar is pushing it for such an application. The plane will fly but it is very fast. It flies much better without the camera pod and a single battery, but that's not really what I wanted. And, I can't really rip out the VTX since it is installed in the wing, so even with regular RC/UAV flying I am still carrying around some FPV weight.

This makes a perfectly usable UAV, although you will note this is the older version of APM installed in the aircraft. It is still supported and still works, but does not have all the features of the new hardware. You could also ditch the airframe and you will end up with a massive amount of equipment that can be used in other projects.

ASKING PRICE: I have over $800 into this setup. I am asking $350 shipped in the US. I will entertain all reasonable offers. I reserve the right to sell to the person with the highest offer, rather than the person with the first. Even if I receive an offer right away, I reserve the right to leave this post up for a few days to gauge interest.

Luke

LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
688 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
You should really post this in the FPV for sale thread. Good luck with the sale!
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Old May 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2001
2,907 Posts
Yeah, I realized that right away. I've asked the mods to move it.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Trader Rating: 66
Wow, nice setup and a good deal!
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old May 21, 2012, 10:23 PM
Mike Flyer
United States, NY
Joined Jan 2011
69 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
Wow...amazingly cheap. If i didnt already own two uav's...great buy guys...do not hesitate..
rellik demanon is offline Find More Posts by rellik demanon
Old May 21, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
I'm interested, just need to ask some basics.

Pm sent
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Old May 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,986 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
Do you mean it has a 2.4Ghz radio setup? You say 72Mhz and then "bind"?
johnbyrne is online now Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old May 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2001
2,907 Posts
The "bind" is a word I'm using figuratively - if you have ever used a Corona synthesized receiver before, you know the process they use is very similar to a 2.4GHz binding. A synthesized 72MHz receiver doesn't use any frequency crystals the way traditional 72MHz receivers do, and as such, they need to "memorize" the characteristics of your Tx. Sorry for the confusing terminology.

Anyway - the RC system on this aircraft is indeed 72MHz, just as stated. A 2.4GHz RC link would not probably be a wise choice in this arrangement, but that's just my opinion.

Luke
Old May 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,986 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
Ahhh, I see where you are coming from . Good info and totally agree on the 2.4 thing. Thank you.

Read all the time about crashes using 2.4 radio on FPV. Sounds like a solid setup. Was thinking about it but I need to keep my head on straight. I've already bought much of what I need using Eagletree so I better stick with that. Best of luck and thanks for the info. I'm sure this won't last long.
johnbyrne is online now Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old May 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2001
2,907 Posts
I am awaiting payment from a buyer, if it goes through this is sold.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined May 2001
2,907 Posts
Sold
Closed Thread