HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Mike View Post
These cheapos can be so much fun, I bought a 450mm long Exceed Z for $49,00, that has twin 380 motors and goes really well, sure the hull is plastic and the quality isnt sensational but it runs well and it does 25Kph or so the blurb on the box says, battery is a Mhi 7.2 Volt 1800Mha which only gives around 6 or 7 minutes toa charge, so a new battery is high on the agenda, but for $49 bucks , if it dies who cares, i can strip the bits out and use them for other projects.

Enjoy, and dont worry about the snobs on here that dont give you the time of day unless you are willing so spend thousands of dollars, its all just for fun, seems there fun is more in being nasty to people who are starting out in the hobby, rather than helping and encouraging

Cheers Mike

PS Just bought a sea plane of Ebay $50 second hand (unwanted gift so still new) - BONUS
Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I'm looking at the other higher-end micros and I really don't want to have to pull my flexshaft out after every run and re-lube it. I'm also reading up on the mino mono loosing props. It seems higher end also means more maintenance.

I make decent money, but I'm no Dr. and I'm also a tight-ass, so best bang for the buck is important to me.

I'm looking hard at the Warrior V2 from HK for 52 bucks.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
Took a peak at the RX\Speed Controller:

Here is the servo:

I should be able to re-use the servo and put in a cheap Hobby King 2.4 Ghz radio and speed controller for under 30 bucks right?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
i got one of these from my lhs today for $45, but it won't turn on. i switched on the transmitter, plugged in the battery, and nothing. is there a switch i am missing? or is it a problem with the rx unit? edit: never mind, i figured it out. it only works in the water.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Last edited by baconflyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,361 Posts
You can touch the drive shaft inside the boat and it will fire up to drive test things. My son had a duel drive and I had to touch both at the same time when not in the watah.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
I soldered the two wires together. This is now my recovery boat for my new Joysway Super Mono X. It's a good little boat, very low maintenance. If you do get bored of it, or your lake is larger than the range of the transmitter, look into the Joysway Offshore Warrior Lite if you want to step up to 2.4 Ghz with minimal $$$ investment. It's still a brushed motor, which keeps it in the low-maintenance category:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Of...0487522012019E
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I soldered the two wires together. This is now my recovery boat for my new Joysway Super Mono X. It's a good little boat, very low maintenance. If you do get bored of it, or your lake is larger than the range of the transmitter, look into the Joysway Offshore Warrior Lite if you want to step up to 2.4 Ghz with minimal $$$ investment. It's still a brushed motor, which keeps it in the low-maintenance category:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Of...0487522012019E
hmm, if i want to upgrade i can just put in my futaba radio and a cheap brushed speed controller. (maybe up it to 2s or maybe even 3s lipo?) then again, for 3s i would need to add water cooling, which i have not yet done. (i am a noob when it comes to boats)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
Which one, the Double Horse or Joysway?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
alright guys, i maidened it this weekend (went up camping, had a 18 meter wide river right by the campsite) and all i can say is WOW! for a $45 boat, i can't think of anything i have driven that runs better. however, the motor is pretty wiped (i ran 9 800mah 2s lipos through it in a row) i know, i know, i should have let it cool between runs, but now i get to bolt in the brushless motor from my bae hawk (rest it's soul) and run it on 3s! i should be pulling about 275 watts at WOT, and i am slightly terrified.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
Yeah mine ran pretty hot too, but I let it sit 15 minutes between batteries. If you're going to go brushless, you're going to need a new ESC. I'm assuming you're using your Futaba. I added some trim tabs to help stop porpoising and some turn fins would help with spinning out. Really the Joysway Offshore Warrior Lite or Super Mono X would be the next step.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Yeah mine ran pretty hot too, but I let it sit 15 minutes between batteries. If you're going to go brushless, you're going to need a new ESC. I'm assuming you're using your Futaba. I added some trim tabs to help stop porpoising and some turn fins would help with spinning out. Really the Joysway Offshore Warrior Lite or Super Mono X would be the next step.
but where's the fun in just BUYING a better boat? any fool can buy something.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
but where's the fun in just BUYING a better boat? any fool can buy something.
Well the Dash is just a bit too small for rougher waters. It's also not self-righting, which the Joysway boats are. If you're running in smaller waters it's great. I have a larger lake that I wanted to explore.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Problem with the circuit board?

I got one the other day. Charged the battery over night and put it in the boat. Tested the boat in the bath tub. I could get only a bust of motor run every 3 or 4 seconds. Every time, rudder turns left and right first (seems to be initializing process) and then the motor runs for a scond and stops. Nothing happens for 3 or 4 seconds even I pull the triger. And then the rudder start the initializing process again.
I am totally new to the speed boat. Any help will be greatful.

Thanks,
Robert
rob.lu is offline Find More Posts by rob.lu
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.lu View Post
I got one the other day. Charged the battery over night and put it in the boat. Tested the boat in the bath tub. I could get only a bust of motor run every 3 or 4 seconds. Every time, rudder turns left and right first (seems to be initializing process) and then the motor runs for a scond and stops. Nothing happens for 3 or 4 seconds even I pull the triger. And then the rudder start the initializing process again.
I am totally new to the speed boat. Any help will be greatful.

Thanks,
Robert
sounds like the prop is sucking too much of the water away from the drive shaft and the little screw, causing the safety system that doesn't let it turn on when it isn't in water to kick in. try soldering the red and black wires that connect to the drive shaft and a little screw together.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the help, baconflyer.
I did what you had suggested and it works perfectly now.
Time to go out and enjoy the boat.
rob.lu is offline Find More Posts by rob.lu
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.lu View Post
Thanks for the help, baconflyer.
I did what you had suggested and it works perfectly now.
Time to go out and enjoy the boat.
no problem. good luck! (and make sure you go gentle on the turning, or it will spin out and flip)