SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Discussion
Double Horse 7009 15"

Well, I wanted to get another boat since the cheapie Sundance Racer my GF got me corroded out.

I haven't seen any reviews for this, so I guess I'll be doing one (looks like it was just released).

Here are some close-ups

http://www.ujtoys.com/Double-Horse-7...-p/dh-7009.htm

and I ordered it from here:

http://www.amazon.com/7009-Double-Ho.../dp/B007RZ4OEO

Videos show sit moving pretty fast for a single 380-powered motor, but it's a small boat. Has proportional control and air cooling (have to see if it does anything when I get it).

Here's a youtube of it in action:

7009 boat (1 min 10 sec)

Hopefully it's worth the 50 bucks. If I like it I'll order more batteries for it.

I welcome any comments.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Wow 55 views and not one comment
Site Sponsor
Old May 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
It's funny, some subforums are active, others are dead at RC Groups.
Site Sponsor
Old May 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,390 Posts
Its a stock brushed boat if you hop it up some may be interested. = )
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old May 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Its a stock brushed boat if you hop it up some may be interested. = )
Hey a comment!?! Well here's the thing: Is there anything better that can be purchased for 50 bucks? Will such a small boat be able to handle more power?
Site Sponsor
Old May 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,390 Posts
Yes should be able to go up to about 130 watts on a 15in boat. your around 10amps my guess right now. 10a x 7v for 70w rough guess. The new smaller mono's have done well out the box on a 380/400 size brushed motors, great way to start for cheap. I would start off with a brushless boat and esc if at all possible.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Thanks. I got her in today and partially charged the battery to do a test run. This thing is pretty quick, just like the video. Gets up on plane fairly fast. I wish she were 2.4 Ghz for better range\interference, but I can't complain for 50 bucks. I have a Prophet Sport II charger that I've adapted to charge the battery faster\better than the stock one, which doesn't have automatic cut-off. I'll try and get my own video done this weekend.

I'm already wanting more range from this thing, so a 2.4 Ghz setup is my next upgrade\boat. Other than that it's great.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; May 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Rough water conditions:

Double Horse 7009 Micro Boat in Rough Water (2 min 15 sec)

Not glassy but better:

Double Horse 7009 Micro Boat in Smoother Water (1 min 55 sec)

I've added a shroud to the cooling fan:

and I'll add a motor heat sink later. I know, I should just retrofit water cooling. I've also put weaker springs in the remote as the stock ones were pretty stiff, making the controls hard to use with precision.

Pics:

Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; May 28, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
380(Speed-400 size)boats can be quite lively, built quite a few before Lipo&brushless became common and had a blast. Most converted well to 20mm brushless and Lipo really improved the speed a lot. Today its actually easier and cheaper to go brushless, my last good brushed speed-480/BB was almost $ 50 at the LHS. When it melted its brush holder it was replaced by a $15 KDA 20mm for an amazing jump in performance!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
380(Speed-400 size)boats can be quite lively, built quite a few before Lipo&brushless became common and had a blast. Most converted well to 20mm brushless and Lipo really improved the speed a lot. Today its actually easier and cheaper to go brushless, my last good brushed speed-480/BB was almost $ 50 at the LHS. When it melted its brush holder it was replaced by a $15 KDA 20mm for an amazing jump in performance!
My micro heli uses lipos, and I'm actually OK with brushed and NiMH for now as there's not as much maintenence\danger as you have with lips, but I'm sure I'll make the switch eventually. Right now I have chargers for NiMH, so the lipo charger would have to factor into my purchases (micro lipo charger isn't suitable for larger batteries).

I'm looking at the Warrior 2 or the Mini Mono next.
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,390 Posts
lighter higher kv and watt brushless motor/esc and metal prop upgrade should boost the speed 25% if not the lipo's change
Old May 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
My best results with brushed Speed-400/Speed-480 were with Octura X431 plastic or X430 bronze props. When I moved to brushless(4800 Kv)with 2 cells Lipo X430 was best for surface drive monos and X427 for 3 cells Hydroplane.
Boats in that size are really fun and less troubles to run than bigger boats, they can also be used in smaller pond. For brushed motors I was using a cheap GWS esc and 7-cells 1000mA Nimh, when I moved to Lipo&brushless I used 1800 or 2200 mA(2/3 cells)and CS Thunderbird-36 esc(Blew a few of the infamous
TowerPro W30A Brushless Speed Controller)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
I'm actually fine with the speed of this, knowing that a lipo-brushless could go much faster. I flipped her today with the winds of TS Beryl, but luckily she blew to shore. Only thing I'm really wishing for right now is more range. I appreciate the suggestions though.
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne North
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
These cheapos can be so much fun, I bought a 450mm long Exceed Z for $49,00, that has twin 380 motors and goes really well, sure the hull is plastic and the quality isnt sensational but it runs well and it does 25Kph or so the blurb on the box says, battery is a Mhi 7.2 Volt 1800Mha which only gives around 6 or 7 minutes toa charge, so a new battery is high on the agenda, but for $49 bucks , if it dies who cares, i can strip the bits out and use them for other projects.

Enjoy, and dont worry about the snobs on here that dont give you the time of day unless you are willing so spend thousands of dollars, its all just for fun, seems there fun is more in being nasty to people who are starting out in the hobby, rather than helping and encouraging

Cheers Mike

PS Just bought a sea plane of Ebay $50 second hand (unwanted gift so still new) - BONUS
Sailboat Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sailboat Mike
Old May 28, 2012, 03:07 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
875 Posts
WOW,so fast!can not wait to get one
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor