SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:47 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my frame due to some mid range projects kicking in. Can anyone who actually has the kit in his hands give some info about the quality of this frame? Are the landing skids up to the task for a hard landing?
Also what is the maximum prop that can be used in a hexa and quad configuration?
And lastly what batteries can the battery holder can fit?
I am pretty sure with this camera gimbal there is a lot of trial and error but once setup correctly the results should be very good.
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
Landing kids: I already wrote, they are a joke, broken from an average landing without any load, about 1200 grams quad only.

Maximum prop: depends where you place motors, arms are much longer than the name of this frame let you believe. They are not limited to 650mm motor to motor, but 90cm end to end of arms, when frame folded. Anyway, there is a lot of space even for 14" in hexa, but I doubt frame will handle such power airborne, because six times 14" props means some 4-5 kg, too much for so long 12mm tubes and the central plate. I wouldn't load more than 3kg auw this frame.

Battery holder: you mean the one on the steady cam ? You are not limited by size, but weight, you must use the right battery to balance your camera. This could be about 500 grams for a 4s 5000mAh, as for a NEX, and much less for a GoPro. There are no additional battery holders provided in this design, you must build your own.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:14 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
i will buy if supplier starts changing the arm booms to 16mm or 14mm. D:
take this as a request
Multor is offline Find More Posts by Multor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:22 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
Renatoa thank you very much for the brief answer. Is it possible to install thicker tubes without significant mods? Latest cameras seem to be lacking composite video out. Is there any space for a small fpv camera like the ecilop frame? 3kg is a very reasonable weight if Sony Nex 5n is planned to be carried. The only real problem is the landing skids of what you ve described above.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:41 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2004
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel32 View Post
I use Tarot GY650 and 9257 servo.
In fact,your gyros can work well.
I use Y line to connect two gyros share one channel.
After a lot of problems with my stupid ASSAN GA250 gyros(you can't use a Y-lead for the gain, they each need their own dedicated gain channel), I decided to try the HK401b gyros.

Well now it is all running beautifully, steady as a rock and with no bounce.
I'm very happy and looking forward to my next flight.

At the moment I'm using my Sony HX9v for the HD video; but I'm starting to think that a NEX-7 would be a good move so I could get some great stills.
The only problem is these cameras don't have a composite video out (But the GOPro does) so I will need to have a second video for framing up the shots. Not the most ideal situation. Any suggestions?

By the way, no complaints about the video the HX9v shoots, it's fantastic quality at Full HD and 60p/50p.
katipo is offline Find More Posts by katipo
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:00 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
To install thicker booms you need to replace the clip retention pieces of the arms, and the end of arm piece, where it rotates.
You can use the spare pieces from 650 frames, see here:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hobbies-a...are-parts.html
or here:
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...177&gtype=&p=2

Addresses above led to many pages sections, browse for strut parts and arms.

But this will led to increase of the distance between central frame plates, with consequences I can't evaluate right now.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
I'm going to film with a videocamera(Sony HDR CX570E/CX730) most of the time flying this hexa, but i need to modify/rebuild the cameraholder.

Does anyone have any good idea on how this can be done?

J
The simplest way would be to replace the bottom plat by a wider model, mount camera pointing lateral, and turn the frame orientation (FC or sensors) by 90 degrees.
Will lose the tilt function, though...

Or, what about mounting camera upside down, does it features any mirror / flip ?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
Upside down sounds good as long you have an fpv camera on board if you plan a live feed. Also my guess is that you would need to extend the skids somehow in order to keep it safe from landings. Mounting it upside down might need a different ratio between battery weight and camera weight. I guess you could esily play with this on the ground though.

Renatoa i guess the side effects of getting larger tubes would be massive for the gimbal unless it doesn't rely on both plates (top and bottom) for it's operation.

Does the frame pass any vibs onto the camera gimbal? I know that having different type of motors and props makes a huge different but overall speaking.....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
747 Posts
[QUOTE=katipo;23076655]After a lot of problems with my stupid ASSAN GA250 gyros(you can't use a Y-lead for the gain, they each need their own dedicated gain channel), I decided to try the HK401b gyros.

---My 401B's will arrive sometime in the future, ordered for two weeks ago and not sent yet from HK(no backorder) The same with the motors and ESC's to. Ordered two weeks before that. But it's good to hear that they work.

At the moment I'm using my Sony HX9v for the HD video; but I'm starting to think that a NEX-7 would be a good move so I could get some great stills.
The only problem is these cameras don't have a composite video out (But the GOPro does) so I will need to have a second video for framing up the shots. Not the most ideal situation. Any suggestions?

---I also have been looking for a camera/videocamera for FPV, and ended up with Sony HDR-CX570E(in US CX580E) after seeing a German site with a guy using this camera both for filming and video. I'll try to find the site and post the link later.

[QUOTE=RENATOA;23077082]The simplest way would be to replace the bottom plat by a wider model, mount camera pointing lateral, and turn the frame orientation (FC or sensors) by 90 degrees.
Will lose the tilt function, though...

---I'll post pictures of how i solved this just by replacing two CF parts later.

[QUOTE=panos2408;23077351]Upside down sounds good as long you have an fpv camera on board if you plan a live feed. Also my guess is that you would need to extend the skids somehow in order to keep it safe from landings. Mounting it upside down might need a different ratio between battery weight and camera weight. I guess you could esily play with this on the ground though.

--- I think i'll stay the right way since the German guy does not use a second cam. I'll post a link to that site later.

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Last edited by Ramnes; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katipo View Post
After a lot of problems with my stupid ASSAN GA250 gyros(you can't use a Y-lead for the gain, they each need their own dedicated gain channel), I decided to try the HK401b gyros.

By the way, no complaints about the video the HX9v shoots, it's fantastic quality at Full HD and 60p/50p.
I am very glad to see you succeed.
Congratulations.
NEX-5 have real-time video out .You need a converter from miniHDMI to AVI.
kernel32 is offline Find More Posts by kernel32
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
Ramnes can you give some links to some of these converters? How much they weight and do they have any diasadvantages against a direct av out device? (sorry to drag the thread in another direction)

The TBS69 camera offers a very sharp image for real time video needs.... it's a bit expensive though.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
747 Posts
Hi Guys
I dont know anything about a cable for the NEX-5 camera, but at this site you can see the German guy flying his copter with the Sony CX730/CX570E.

Take a look at the vidoes on his site and the raw video on youtube. He also take pictures with this setup. This guy flies for 17 minutes on 2x5000mah 4S batteries. No heavy lift and fancy gimbal, but one of the best pilots for this in Germany(my opinion)

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-33793.html

and here is another German guy's setup with the CX730 camera.
http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-po...tml#post391495

Now i'm going back to my gimbal mod for the Sony CX-570E videocamera.

Enjoy

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Last edited by Ramnes; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Germany, NRW, DO
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post

J
HDMI to composite converter?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....d=391266078204
Only 40 gramms.

CU Eddy
comicflyer is offline Find More Posts by comicflyer
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicflyer View Post
HDMI to composite converter?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....d=391266078204
Only 40 gramms.

CU Eddy
Thank you this will work perfectly i think.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
The converter yes, finding a short cable it's a mess.
If you have suicidal tendencies, attempt to shorten a standard 1.5m HDMI cable is the best exercise
Closed Thread