HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2003, 12:56 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Discussion
Bristol Boxkite

For those guys out there who are into the less mainstream airplanes, take a look at this opne. The 1/12 scale Farman Biplane (Bristol Boxkite) spans 35", is powered by a GWS "A" Drive and guided by 4 channel R/C. On 7, 300 NiMH cells the Boxkite weighs in just over 9 oz and will fly for around 9 minutes.
The model, dispite it's unusual appearance really flies great. If this is your bag, let me know and I'll fill in the "detail blanks", and if you just have to have one the short kits are finally available.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2003, 03:53 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
If it weren't for the proximity of the trees in that shot, I'd have said this was a photo of the Shuttleworth Collection's Boxkite! It looks a lovely model Pat, but I'm afraid all those sticks and strings would try my patience too much!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Nov 03, 2003, 05:10 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
Hi Pat glad to see you post. Your designs have many fans here.

I just purchased the plan for this beautiful aircraft. Two questions for you:

-Where/who/how much on the kit?
-I am thinking of scaling this up to either 49" or 72". From the looks of the plan it should scale up nicely, do you have any comments on that?
-whatever the size, I think lithium poly batteries would be perfect for this model (you could "hide" them easier on the wing and they would be lighter than round cells). Do you agree?
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Last edited by 4 Scale; Nov 03, 2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:04 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Pat
I have a whole stack of your kits backlogged waiting to be built. Sure would like to add this one to the collection. Please advise on how to get one.

I was at Shuttleworth a few years ago. We were just getting ready to leave when the announcer came on and said in a very Btitish accent "Ladies and Gentlemen. The winds seem to have abated a bit and we believe we will fly the Edwardians." The Boxkite was the first up and it was wonderful. I have many great photos from that event. Your photo of your model looks just like my shots of the real thing.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is online now Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Greg & Gerry, My guess is that the Boxkite should scale up fine. A 6 footer would be a HUGE airplane, the area would be over 1700 sq in.
The short kit's (without plans) are $51.00 PP. with plans they're $70.95 PP. Drop me an e-mail directly and I'll fix you up with the mailing address. (patscustommodels@aol.com)
PAT
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:16 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Gordon, Building with "sticks & string" isn't so bad, but it does take a little getting used to. I guess I've been doing it for so long I forgot how to do it with sheets of wood.
PAT
Old Nov 03, 2003, 10:12 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
FWIW - a lot more of you have seen the Shuttleworth Boxkite fly - it was built and flown in the movie "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines".

I recall reading that it's biggest problem is that where it should have had a huge prop with a rotary behind the prop, it had some kind of flat 4 or 6, with a rather itty-bitty prop. This somewhat limited it, but fly it does.

So Pat - did you duplicate the ailerons? They hang down when the aircraft's stationary and are streamed back into line with the wing when it gets to flying speed - aileron control is 'downgoing' aileron only - the one on the other side stays in line with the wing thanks to the airflow.

But wouldn't hold it against you if you cheated - it's a lovely model!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 04, 2003, 02:04 PM
TerryM
United States, AR, Heber Springs
Joined Sep 2001
731 Posts
Sticks and string

Pat,

I have plans for your Farnam bipe and have the
stabilizers, rudders and canard framed up.

A couple questions if you can please?

How do you secure the spider line to the struts
and other components when rigging?

How is the Nelson litefilm on covering the
undercambered surfaces work?

Are the front and rear "fuselage" sections butt glued
to the struts only? Seems like such a small gluing area
(1/8" square). Is it the rigging that give it the support
strength?

Thanks for a cool looking airplane. I hope to fly mine
indoors.

Terry
orectolobus is offline Find More Posts by orectolobus
Old Nov 04, 2003, 05:42 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Dereck, I hate to admit it, but I cheated. I seriousely contemplated doing the scale aileron system, but was afraid the model would be too slow to hold them up, and exibit too much adverse yaw to fly well. If you build one, DON"T overpower it. I tried 8 cells once (7 work the best), and at full power the lifting tail creates so much lift that the elevator/canard can't overcome the nose down attitude. When it became obviouse that crashing was inevitable, I pulled the power off and she piched up and went right back to flying. PAT
Old Nov 04, 2003, 05:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Terry, The fuse frames are but glued to the struts. So far in almost 80 flights, I have not broken anything but a LG strut, and that was on a landing I was definately not proud of. The rigging is pulled through small holes drilled in the frame, and secured with a drop of Cya after everything is pulled straight and true. The idea is to do as much rigging as possable using a single piece of string. PAT
Old Nov 06, 2003, 08:29 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
Pat, how do you cover an undercambered surface without ending up with a flat bottom airfoil?
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Nov 06, 2003, 08:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
(corrected 11/7/03)

Pat's amazing Curtis pusher variant was the scale winner at DEAF this year, just nosing out Paul Willenborg's RV-4. The Boxkite looks to be of the same amazing caliber.

The flight realism of that Curtis on a calm day is stunning.

A hearty welcome to the board, Pat. We always enjoy your presense at the local E meets.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 07, 2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:36 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
Yeah, the Edwardians are something else to watch alright... I saw the Boxkite fly as well: marginal hardly covers it. It took off, JUST cleared the hedge, and kinda sank out of sight; oh, dear. Announcer in the tower says, "yes ladies & gentlemen it is still airborne, but it may take a few minutes for it to come 'round. If you just chat among yourselves for a moment or two, we will continue..." LOL!
T. Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by T. Lyttle
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Greg, Covering the under camber is simply a matter of ironing the cover to the ribs as well as the LE & TE. I used litefilm on the Boxkite, so it was no big deal. Using silk as in the Curtiss Pusher is a bit more involved. If anyone is interested in how that's done I'll be more then happy to give details.
PAT
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:29 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Tom, The model that won scale at DEAF was not the Bristol, but rather the Curtiss Pusher, which is actually a 1914 Ingram Foster. The IF was a bootleg copy of the Curtiss Headless pusher built by a Ford dealer in Texas to to county and state fairs. What's really amazing about both of those models is how well they actually fly!
PAT