HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Harry H, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 07:23 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Very nice!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old May 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Thanks Buzz!

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
So cool! I just PM'ed you to ask you about this thing and then found this blog post.

Did you just put a piece of bent sheetmetal in there to support the clear top panel?

Do you have a link to the switch and input connector?

Are there any vent holes or fans to allow for cooling of the power supplies when they are under full load? I have mine set up with pin 4 shorted to ground to slow the speed down, but if I made a box like this I would probably float that pin and let them run fast again.

Was it difficult to cut the openings in the box? I have given mine a quick inspection and found that it appears to be a double wall construction (with an inner and outer shell). Was this easy to get apart for access to the wiring of the meters?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am very impressed with this thing!

Thanks!
spiff72 is online now Find More Posts by spiff72
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:41 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
- I used 3/4" aluminum L channel to hold up the plex

- The switch I got online but can't remember where I got it from but it was a 20A

- No vent cut into the box, I have my power supplies on turbo. How the box is constructed, there will be a gap on top where the plex meets the box wall. There is plenty of cooling without the need for extra vents.

- I did not separate the box walls, just cut what was necessary with a dremmel and exacto. The walls are hollow in most areas, at least where I installed the meters and shunt.

Harry
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
Cool - thanks Harry.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
Nice.
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:17 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Thanks jocanon.

H
Old May 11, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
Well, it will be a work in progress, but mine is underway! Ordered the AC power inlet/switch from Mouser, and some of the DC side stuff from Hobbyking (binding posts, meter, some 10 awg wire, etc). The AC stuff will be here Tuesday, but the HK stuff is probably a couple weeks out. I plan to get the supplies mounted with the AC wiring done next week, and the DC side will have to wait until the parts get here!

Just wanted to say thanks again for the inspiration - really looking forward to getting it set up. I just cut the opening in the side for the switch/inlet.

I ordered this (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25703) from HK in place of your displays - just hoping it is visible if I mount it in the same location that you did. Not sure if the TFT display will wash out at that angle - I will have to do some mockups when it gets here to find out.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:38 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Glad you are making progress. That meter from HK would make the install much easier than what I did and instead of cutting holes for it, you could just velcro it to the side as it looks pretty thin. The meters I used were rather deep and needed to be mounted in the wall. Keep me updated.

Harry

Or you could put the meter under the plex.
Last edited by Harry H; May 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added
Old May 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Glad you are making progress. That meter from HK would make the install much easier than what I did and instead of cutting holes for it, you could just velcro it to the side as it looks pretty thin. The meters I used were rather deep and needed to be mounted in the wall. Keep me updated.

Harry

Or you could put the meter under the plex.
Good point on putting it under the Plexi - that might be an option too, but I don't want to block it if I put a battery or paraboard over it while charging. I will have to wait until it arrives to see if it works.

Thanks again
Jeff
Old May 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
One more recommendation. I am going to get balance tap extensions, the taps on most batteries are so short and make connecting to paraboards difficult and can put stress on them. Something like this.
http://www.quantumhobby.com/6S-Balan...H-p/HK6226.htm

Harry
Old May 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
Not sure how you are using those...would you have one for each battery, and you would just leave them attached to the paraboards? And these would be specific to the size (cell count) of the batteries you are using?

I looked back at the photo you posted with the charger running - I assume that you don't have them in that photo, right? After looking more closely at that picture, I also see that you have extensions on the main power leads for the two paraboards, right? I might have to make some of these too.

My biggest batteries now are 3S 2200s, so I won't really be taxing the system very much. I do use both channels on the charger though - I will be charging the 3S batteries on one channel and then a paraboard with 6 2S 450s on the other channel. I see the top compartment coming in handy for all the various harnesses I have collected over time (3S and 6s serial harnesses for the tiny 160 mah batteries on my Nano, a mini paraboard for the same batteries, and then all the other cables).

If you ever get a chance, can you take a photo of the AC side under the plexi (or through it)? I would like to see how you managed the wiring on that side too.

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Not sure how you are using those...would you have one for each battery, and you would just leave them attached to the paraboards? And these would be specific to the size (cell count) of the batteries you are using?

Yes, one for each battery. I just ordered some 6S extentions from HK (10 for under $6) and some plug savers. Guess I'll leave them attached to the paraboard. They are specific for cell count but think they can be altered to accept other counts, just need to be careful when plugging in.

I looked back at the photo you posted with the charger running - I assume that you don't have them in that photo, right? After looking more closely at that picture, I also see that you have extensions on the main power leads for the two paraboards, right? I might have to make some of these too.

Yes, I did make extensions so I can move the paraboards around easily.

My biggest batteries now are 3S 2200s, so I won't really be taxing the system very much. I do use both channels on the charger though - I will be charging the 3S batteries on one channel and then a paraboard with 6 2S 450s on the other channel. I see the top compartment coming in handy for all the various harnesses I have collected over time (3S and 6s serial harnesses for the tiny 160 mah batteries on my Nano, a mini paraboard for the same batteries, and then all the other cables).

Really comes in handy. I keep all my extra wire, connectors, meter, cord....

If you ever get a chance, can you take a photo of the AC side under the plexi (or through it)? I would like to see how you managed the wiring on that side too.

Be happy to. I will post it by tomorrow.

Thanks!

Harry
Old May 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Here is a shot of the AC side. I used (2) - 12AWG power cords spliced together and everything is crimped.

Harry