Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,478 Posts
David,
I've been thinking about this (I bet you're impressed already!).
I believe you own a Merco .35...
Not installing it simply because of a bit of minor surgery around the engine cowl is a decision I wouldn't have made. They go so well together, and nicely done changes to the engine area could be almost invisible.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:10 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
917 Posts
I know what you mean Brian, and it would have been fairly easy to fit the Merco but what would I use the Irvine in once I'd fitted it?

The Merco is appreciably lighter than the Irvine and would have required less tail weight resulting in a lighter model overall. It does however fly very nicely even with a forward c of g position.

David
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
but what would I use the Irvine in once I'd fitted it?
That's an amazing statement. Even in the UK, there's no regulation against owning an engine that's not in a model (imagine my own situation!).
I remember when you started this thread, chants of "Merco, Merco, Merco..." could be heard coming from my place.
In fact, WOT, WOT, WOT you really need is another plane for the Irvine.
That way, everything would be nice and authentic and "in character".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:16 AM
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyE arner
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2006
838 Posts
Gents here's a couple of photos of my "Old Dear"
Red Zephyr is offline Find More Posts by Red Zephyr
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:25 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
You did a great job of the glazing, any chance of some close up pics for details of what you did?

Still want a little four stroke for ours, probably not very authentic but I reckon it would sound great just put putting around the sky.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
In fact, WOT, WOT, WOT you really need is another plane for the Irvine.
That way, everything would be nice and authentic and "in character".
You're a fundamentalist Brian!

The only model from Chris Foss's range which would suit a 30 sized engine is the Uno Wot, the trainer kit but I've far too many models to build or repair to entertain the idea of another Uno Wot. I used to have one but I sold it years ago. Wish I hadn't now.

Note for benighted Americans who don't know what we are talking about.

Chris Foss is a long established designer of both i/c power models and gliders. All of his power models are called WOT something which probably stands for "Wide Open Throttle." They were introduced in the 1970s but his models are commonplace on British flight-lines to this day.

The WOT 4 is a box a 52" wing on top and is usually flown with 40 or larger engine.
The Acrowot is a slightly larger low wing model which looks like racing aircraft and is usually flown with a 61 or larger engine.
The Wots Wot is a biplane equivalent of the Acrowot and the Uno Wot is an advanced trainer as stated above.

I own both a WOT 4 and an Acrowot. They both have a very wide speed envelope and are a delight to fly. The secret of their success is probably the design of the wing. Many of Chris Foss's designs are now available as ARTFs, the reduced-size foamy electric WOT 4 being particularly popular.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
You're a fundamentalist Brian!
David, I prefer the term "pure" if you don't mind...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
917 Posts
I've just had some shocking news.

Although some six or seven of us said that we were going to build Super Sixties in time for Greenacres last month, mine was only one of two which flew at the event and that for only half a circuit in very poor weather!

However, two modellers, Andy Green and Chris Jordan posted build logs on the RCM&E website www.modelflying.co.uk. Chris posted under the handle Big Bandit because he'd once owned a 1200cc Suzuki Bandit. He turned up to the event but didn't fly because of the conditions and because he hadn't yet got his A Certificate, but I did spend several hours chatting to him about building our Super Sixties and related aeromodelling topics.

Imagine my reaction when I found out that he had died on Saturday.

Tributes have been paid to him on the RCM&E website under the thread, "A Sad Loss.".

You never know what's around the corner do you?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Big Bandit Chris was in touch with me on the RCM&E website regarding the conversion of a 35 year old Mercury Matador. I also could not believe the news about his death. He was obviously an excellent modeller and like me had been flying for years but had not got round to the 'A test'.

I wondered whether his name Big Bandit was related to the KK Bandit. We did have a club member with an oversized KK Bandit but it was eventually lost after doing too many rolls!

MJE
michael j etheri is offline Find More Posts by michael j etheri
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That is sad news indeed. Thoughts to his family.

In other news, I got one of these for my son to learn to fly with, if only he could pry the transmitter from my hands It makes a real nice change of pace from my usual steeds.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Love that picture Aviefly. Vintage has got to be relaxing but that is taking it to a new level!!
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
That is sad news indeed. Thoughts to his family.

In other news, I got one of these for my son to learn to fly with, if only he could pry the transmitter from my hands It makes a real nice change of pace from my usual steeds.
Now that is just LAZY Aviefly! Mind you I am waiting for a new knee and 10 minutes standing up is my limit at present so I have resorted to a shooting stick! How about a swivel chair, that would make it easy to follow the circuits and save all that head turning.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I'm also sorry to hear the news about Chris 'big bandit. We shared a few snippets and stories on my Popsie build log the RCME forum a while ago, he had received a set of plans and hoped to get started on the build. I don't know if he got it built.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:53 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Well the Super 60 has done it's first season very well on the SC36, not put in massive amounts of flying time but what it did was faultless and great fun. Thinking of the coming season we originally thought that if we liked it we would splash out on a nice little four stroke for it because we love the sound of them however with almost all of the rest of the fleet on electric I felt the 60 would have gotten more air time with the convenience of electric too. I've had a look around RCG and see that quite a few have done electric versions and it seems an ideal candidate. Most of what I've seen have been built from the start with electric in mind and the nose built to suit the mounting of outrunners. I don't want to have to hack the nose of mine around too much leaving the options open to go back to IC at some point if we wanted to. Looking at the engine bearers and alloy plate mount for the IC engine on mine it got me thinking it would be easier to mount an inrunner than an outrunner but I don't have any experience of them so wouldn't know where to start on selecting a suitable system. Do those more knowledgeable than myself in these matters have an opinion on this? Would an inrunner setup be viable? or would I be better off making up some sort of mount for an outrunner that can be screwed to the original engine bearers? I don't suppose that would be too difficult if need be.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Outrunner every time for me. Good torque, reasonable prices and no need for a gearbox if you choose a suitable kV rating.
Someone on here will have done a lecky S60 and they will give better advice for something more specific.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59