HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
Both the BB & KK plans show the balance point at 3" back from the leading edge so I guess that's as a good a place as any to start

Best of luck to the wee man - lets hope it's the start of a long aeromodelling career and try to keep him away from too many ARTFs

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 29, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Thanks very much Ray. I'm not going to push him but he often asks to come flying with me now so thought I might as well have something with me for him to have a go with. I tried him on the Sim but he's not really into computer games soI'm not going to push that one, he's much more of an outdoor kid thankfully.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
Quote:
he's not really into computer games
I like him already

Ray
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Well it took 60g of lead in the tail to balance it at three inches, much as I hate adding weight it will do to see how we get on with it without buying a new engine for it. If we both enjoy it I quite fancy getting a nice little four stroker for it, any one have any suggestions on a suitable one for it?

How did you do for get on for balance Monza? that Irvine 30 must be a fair weight sharing a 40 crank case.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
She maidened today, should be just the ticket for the wee man to have a go with as is. The SC36 had plenty of power as you'd expect, cruising was around 1/3 throttle and the extra weight of the engine and the lead in the tail didn't seem to be a problem. There was a good breeze and on idle you could slow her right down to the point she was actually going backwards and she still remained controllable as she descended with full up elevator held in, ease off the elevator and back on the power and away she went again. I deliberately pushed the stick around in a random manner to see how much trouble my lad could land me in, answer is, not a lot yet she is still responsive enough to be able to put her where you want her. I got one of my pals to take the buddy box after the initial trimming flight to check it all out before my lad gets hold of it, I kept throttle control and just handed rudder and elevator control over to the buddy box. Even did some take off and landings with me controlling the throttle and my mate the rest, that felt real strange on take off, just opening up the throttle and watching it go. Can't wait to give my lad a go now, he seems quite exited about it and has been telling all his pals about his massive plane lol. I can see me having a line up of all his pals wanting a go too, fine with me if it encourages them into the hobby. It will be nice to have a plane set up that I can offer anyone who shows an interest a go with. I'll be sure to have the hat cam running for my wee man's maiden voyage
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:52 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good to hear of the successful maiden, and ....what a great view from your field!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:19 AM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
135 Posts
I am considering get the BB kit as a build project as i love the smell of balsa dust in the morning LOL going to cost me a bit to ship from UK but hay its a 3 month build so no big drama
I have a 46 2st to go in it which is a bit over powered but its what i have
when the kit arrives i will post build progress
Thanks Monza a good looking build there you should be proud espessly in these days of ARTF
Ray (from Aus)
unleaded218 is offline Find More Posts by unleaded218
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
Ray ( from Aus)

I would avoid BB kits as the quality is, shall we say, variable. It's such a simple build that all you really need is a plan and a few pieces of wood

Ray (from NI)
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:00 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
914 Posts
Sorry not to have replied sooner gentlemen, I've been on a motorcycling holiday in France. The weather was gorgeous until I returned to the UK then the heavens opened. A journey which normally takes me five hours from Dover to Shrewsbury took seven and a half hours owing to rain, spray and traffic density. Not pleasant. It took me all day yesterday to recover.

As to the c of g on my Super 60, I blush to admit that I've only just checked it! On my model it's well forward of the suggested position, only about an inch behind the leading edge of the wing! I suppose I must have used the TLAR principle before maidening it! No wonder it likes to nose over on landing! I might try moving the receiver battery rearwards before flying today. Longer term options include adding tail-weight or fitting a lighter engine.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Broken English and Sundancer for their kindness and hospitality during my recent trip to France and to apologise to Sundancer for popping the glue joint on the battery hatch of his Cardinal on landing it. I should have kept some power on to create a better airflow over the tailplane.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Broken English and Sundancer for their kindness and hospitality during my recent trip to France and to apologise to Sundancer for popping the glue joint on the battery hatch of his Cardinal on landing it. I should have kept some power on to create a better airflow over the tailplane.
Don't worry David it took all of 5 seconds to fix! I won't be flying it today though, or anything else as it is peeing down and blowing a hooligan! It was nice to meet you.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
914 Posts
Took the Super 60 flying yesterday morning and added some lead in the form of car alloy wheel balance weights to the tail on the suggestion of a clubmate. The balance point is still way ahead of the designated position and I didn't notice much difference in the way the model flew but it did stop its propensity to nose over on landing.

There were four flyers at the field when I arrived and another four turned up before I left at about 13.45. I was the only one flying an i/c powered model.

Sign of the times.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:47 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post

There were four flyers at the field when I arrived and another four turned up before I left at about 13.45. I was the only one flying an i/c powered model.

Sign of the times.
I still like the idea of I.C engines, but to be honest, the advantages of electric power far outweigh the disadvantages.

Being able to arrive at the field (or desert patch in my case) and be flying in a matter of a few minutes is great. No fuss, no mess to clean up, no problem with annoying anyone else. I'm well converted to this mode now.

Anyway, good to see that your C of G balance problems are improving.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:41 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I used lead tyre weights too only my tail is held on with bands so it was easy to remove the tail and add the weights to the inside.
The wee man got his first two flights in last week, I had the cam on my hat but completely forgot to turn it on in the excitement. Anyway first flight was fun but a little difficult, he's only 5 and being just the two of us at the field it was trickier to keep an eye on the plane and him at the same time than I thought it would be. There were moments of success but I realised he had a tendency to keep looking down at the transmitter . Second flight I enrolled the help of a good flying buddy to coach the wee man while I kept my eye on the plane, a much better experience for all. The important bit is he enjoyed it and wants to do more he did work out how to do loops, if only his dad would keep up and give him the power he needs
On the electric subject I have been flying exclusively electric of late and while it a pain to keep the super 60 clean it inspired me to look at getting some more ic gear out again.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
914 Posts
[QUOTE=sparks59;22113416]I still like the idea of I.C engines, but to be honest, the advantages of electric power far outweigh the disadvantages.

Doubtless the advantages of electric flight are many. I was teased by one of my colleagues on Sunday when the engine quit twice before I could take off. (I haven't got the slow speed running adjusted quite right yet.) I own a couple of electric powered Telemasters and appreciate the reliability, quietness and cleanliness of electric motors. I realise that electric flight is not the future, as many of its devotees claim, it is the present day!

I'm also very interested in scale models and if you check the Electric Scale forum on this site and compare it with the Fuel Scale forum you'll find that at least four times as many modellers are on line in the Electric Scale section than are on line in the Fuel Scale forum. Having said all of that, somehow they do not have the same "soul" as an i/c engine. Give me the beat of a well-tuned four stroke any time! I don't suppose people will be collecting electric motors in fifty years time either

As for the c of g problems, it's a testament to the Super Sixty design that it flew so well with the balance point so far forward. If I were to fit a 46 to the nose of a Super Sixty Unleaded, I'd probably build the four-channel version and you'll definitely have to add weight to the tail.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyE arner
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2006
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unleaded218 View Post
I am considering get the BB kit as a build project as i love the smell of balsa dust in the morning LOL going to cost me a bit to ship from UK but hay its a 3 month build so no big drama
I have a 46 2st to go in it which is a bit over powered but its what i have
when the kit arrives i will post build progress
Thanks Monza a good looking build there you should be proud espessly in these days of ARTF
Ray (from Aus)
G'day Ray, Mate I'll try to post some photos of my Super 60 later today. What I want to pass onto you is that with a .46 it'll go vertical which is OK if that's what you are looking for. I've had an LA40, 35 FP and an old 25 FP fitted in mine at some stage or another, the LA 40 was way to much for it and I believe that the 35 is also too much as well, I'm in the throes of saving my pennies for either an Enya 25BBD or a PAW 29, note that they are Diesels and they may not be your cup of tea but I would recommend that you hunt down a .30 something in glow.

Somewhere here I have a build article on the "60", they used a PAW 19, I suspect that it was built very light apparently tho' it flew very well with it, I guess that shows if nothing else, that the "60" is very versatile.

I'll see what I can come up with in the way of photos later.

Cheers Mate
Red Zephyr is offline Find More Posts by Red Zephyr