SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 07:35 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,640 Posts
For comparison here are the sections under discussion.

1) Junior 60 section from Ben Buckle plan described as "original 1946 version"

2) Super 60 section from my rather faded plan from a KK kit bought in 1963

3) Super 60 section from a Ben Buckle plan dated 1982. This was the one with the dreaded flat plate tailplane ( sorry Monza )

The drawing shown in my post #11 is from a most interesting little book published in 1962 by MAP called "Radio Control Big Four" describing the design and development of the Mercury Galahad, Frog Jackdaw, KK Super 60 and Veron Viscount. The Super 60 chapter was written by Ernie Webster. Well worth having if you can find a copy.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; May 23, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,678 Posts
The sections difference non-issue must be down to my memory being distorted by all these years of good, clean living... Sorry!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
......... all these years of good, clean living... Sorry!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Found a copy of RC4, it should be on its way to me..via my buddy in UK anytime now!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old May 27, 2012, 01:58 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
During the past week I've covered the wing and tail surfaces and glued in place the 1/64" ply tank bay cover. I had some difficulty getting the ply to adhere to the structure properly and if I were to build another Super Sixty, I'd sheet this part of the model in 1/16" balsa or or plank it in 3/32" strip. However, having once worked as a decorator, given enough sandpaper and filler, (spackle in America,) I can make most things look good!

Pictures show the nose with filler prior to sanding and ready for covering.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Well this is as far as I've got but then I went and broke my camera! However, my hill-walking companion came to the rescue and let me use hers.

The model is fully built and covered in Solartex. I now have to: glue and pin the rudder and elevator; fit the cabin glazing; fit the receiver and battery; connect up the controls; spray the entire model in Clearcoat and add some decals.

The white bits are to aid orientation as I can see me using this to teach elderly beginners with. The tail wheel is secured using a small nut soldered onto the wire which is itself secured using brass saddles and small screws screwed into plywood.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:20 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Looks Very good David,
Nice to meet you on Saturday.
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
That's a really lovely looking plane Monza. Great that you've used Solartex and not a shiny plastic covering. I always think that simple colour schemes look best on older designs.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Well I maidened it today!

At first I had great difficulty starting the engine though it had started up straight away on the test bench. In the end I gave up and flew the Super Scorpion, but I was helped by one of the "Enfield Petes" who flicked and flicked at the prop until it almost started. A swift application of the starter motor soon had the Irvine running like a hive of bees.

The first attempt at flight resulted in the engine cutting on take-off. On the second attempt I found that my non-standard rearward mounting position of the under carriage, (I had been told that Super 60s were prone to ground looping,) was causing the model to nose over and I got it all crossed up so I aborted the flight. The club chairman suggested a hand launch and I persuaded the other Enfield Pete to launch the model for me.

It flew beautifully and I cured the nosing over problem by bending the rear wheel wire to produce a higher A of A with the model on the ground. Two more flights took place, one from tarmac, the other from grass. Very pleased.

The model now awaits its graphics from a sign company.

Picture of the completed model in my back garden after the maiden flight.

I use more bands for flying .
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,056 Posts
She looks pretty. Congratulations on the maiden.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,877 Posts
Lovely! Always good to hear about a successful maiden
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Engines can ruin your day Surprised that an Irvine played up like that, they were real good lumps back when I came home smelling funny

Can't be that much fuss to move the UC forwards some, surely? Or did your tailwheel mod fix the problem permanently ?

Here's to many happy flying hours with her.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>It was easier to build and I didn't fancy plotting all those tailplane ribs!

But they do not need plotting! Just take the centre rib and use it as a template to cut smaller ribs from suitably sized blanks, keeping the nose profile 'as is' and lowering the rearward curvature to the thickness of the TE used. Easier and faster to do than explain.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Can't be that much fuss to move the UC forwards some, surely? Or did your tailwheel mod fix the problem permanently ?

Well I having re-bent the tail wheel wire, I had two successful take-offs, the first from tarmac, the second from mown grass so I'm hoping it'll be alright. If necessary I'll move the undercarriage forward.

Compared with a Junior 60 it flies a little more quickly but it is very stable and goes where you put it. I'm thinking of building an aileron wing for it.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice build Monza. I've just acquired one of these second hand, built 20 odd years ago but never flown. I was told its the Keil craft one but looking at it suspect its a bb one. It's tail is built up but flat, no aerofoil, and it doesn't look like four inches of dihedrel. Anyway I got it to set up on the buddie box to teach my five year old to fly, I know it too much motor for it really but I only had an sc 36 sitting spare for it. That leads me to the question of cog, where would be a good place to start off? I am pretty experienced but as I say its really for my wee man to get a start. I will keep throttle control to start off with and only give him rudder and elevator. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Last edited by Aviefly; Jun 28, 2012 at 04:08 PM.