SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
988 Posts
Build Log
Super 60 Build for Greenacres: This Is My Poor Effort!

Hi Everybody

At the turn of the year some 50 of us opted to build vintage models for a fly-in to be held by the Greenacres Club in conjunction with the magazine Radio Controlled Models and Electronics (RCM&E) near Walsall in the English Midlands. The event is to be held on the weekend of 23rd-24th June. I chose the Keil Kraft Super 60 as it was the model I intended to build as my first r/c model and more British modellers in the Sixties and early Seventies probably learned to fly on the Super 60 than on anything else. In the event I ended up building a Junior 60 but that is another story, besides I already had two plans for the model; one the original single channel plan, the other the Ben Buckle manifestation.

The model has turned out to be something of a hybrid featuring the early fuselage but the later flat-plate tailplane! It has also ended up with neither the 4 inch dihedral of the original nor the 2 inch dihedral of the Ben Buckle option. Somehow I've managed to get a 2.5 inch dihedral under each wing tip but at least they're equal! Some of the joints weren't as tight as they should have been but I've repaired (or bodged) them with scrap balsa and cyano and I didn't do a good job of the wing ribs with the result that the trailing edge is not as fine as I would have liked. Maybe I'm being overly critical but although I enjoy building I don't profess to be particularly good at it, besides at the halfway stage I frequently find myself losing interest and patience with the project. Having said all of that, none of my models have disintegrated in the air or upon landing unlike some ARTFs.

I plan to power it with an i/c engine and have opted to fit an Irvine 30 which is not quite period but sharing the same crankcase as the Irvine 40, its carburettor clears the nose. If I were to fit the more authentic Merco 35 I would have to file a groove in the nose blocking.

Finally I have been impressed by the overall strength of the design especially the wing. I have used spruce for the main spars as all of the 1/4 sq balsa strip I had in stock was a little too soft. I also enjoyed carving all of that 1/2 inch sheet which makes up the nose.

Here are a few pictures of the build. Note the extremely tidy work-bench!
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Ireland, Wexford
Joined Aug 2010
61 Posts
That's not a poor effort it all looks pretty damn good to me.

Ian
sprocket42 is online now Find More Posts by sprocket42
Old May 21, 2012, 03:54 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
What's wrong with that? If everything is straight it will fly beautifully.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old May 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
315 Posts
The trailing edge doesn't have to be 'fine' unless you are going for the F1A etc World Championships! It's better to leave it a bit blunt for strength. The airflow will have detached from the upper surface long before.
I'll have to try to go to Greenacres - I only live three miles away, although I am mostly into free flight models.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old May 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,600 Posts
The one thing I remember about building the Super 60 wing from the KK kit was inserting all the little vertical grain webs between the trailing edge top and bottom sheets. A real pain to do and something I've never used since

Build looks fine to me Monza but a black mark for the flat plate tailplane

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old May 22, 2012, 12:23 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
988 Posts
It was easier to build and I didn't fancy plotting all those tailplane ribs! :
Old May 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Apr 2011
81 Posts
I think you should be pleased with your work. I have flown my electric Super 60 quite a lot and it still gives me a lot of pleasure to fly. My Super is as per KK plan except for addition of an elevator and Ben Buckle 2 inch dihedral. I think you will find 2.5 inch spot on, if I built another one I would go for a bit more than 2 inches. Good luck with the rest of the project, I'm sure it will fly just great.
ukengineman is online now Find More Posts by ukengineman
Old May 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Looks fine Monza Red. You'll have a really nice flier.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
988 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your kind and encouraging comments, I thought I'd post a picture of a less-than-perfectly-built model to encourage the weaker bretheren!

Here is a picture of the tank installation. It is retained by silicone on the underside of the tank as well as the cable tie.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,617 Posts
Thanks to this thread I've learnt (40 odd years late!) that the BB S60 (which I've built and have the plan) isn't the same as the first KK version.
Does anyone have any means of posting the first version plan, or at least the differences in relation to the BB version?
I'll put a request on the plans thread.
The S60 plan on Outerzone has an amusing error. It's the BB version of the plan, and someone has added the wing rib patterns, but they're the wing ribs from the first version of the JUNIOR 60!
I'll send a mail to Steve.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,600 Posts
This is the original KK kit version of the Super 60.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old May 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Am I imagining things again, or did the Super 60 start out in life with an undercambered wing section like the Junior 60?

Red - as long as they don't fall apart when flying, they're good. You've done a great job, now finish her up and go have fun flying your model.

Regards
Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 23, 2012, 03:13 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Am I imagining things again, or did the Super 60 start out in life with an undercambered wing section like the Junior 60?

Red - as long as they don't fall apart when flying, they're good. You've done a great job, now finish her up and go have fun flying your model.

Regards
Dereck
Think you are Dereck, as far as I know the S60 had a FB wing section from the start, certainly from the first run of kits.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
Sundancer is right. I still use my original plans and well worn and the wing section is a flat not undercambered. If, however, we want to start a discussion I believe that a number of David Boddington's designs used that same section or very close to it. Am I wrong? I'm not criticising David Boddington because I've used on models it because it is so predictable.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old May 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,617 Posts
Gentlemen (yes, I know it sounds a bit improbable...),
One other point, perhaps minor, concerning the wing section.
Ray has kindly posted what looks like the original drawing. Just at a glance, I'm pretty sure the wing section on that early drawing is significantly thicker than the one on my BB plan.
Does anyone else have an opinion?
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member