HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Discussion
Building my first foamie

I am new to the RC world and want to build my 1st plane. I have a blade cx2 heli. I have heard that the yak 54 & 55 are good starters. I wanted to ask what do I need to build one. I know the retail kits do not really come with much so needed a list of what else to buy. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, I am about to buy the Spektrum dx6i or 7i.
cgilr is offline Find More Posts by cgilr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I would go with something like the EzFly. You can either cut it out yourself of buy this kit.
http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=12_14

I just put one together for my dad and it flies great. Here's a list of electronics that go well with that plane. You can get all the below parts from Hobbyking too but i find that headsuprc's low shipping offsets the savings from HK. Just my 2 cents

Motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Esc
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-10-Amp/Detail

Servos (2)
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5g-SG50/Detail

Receiver (If you don't buy the radio that comes with one)
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...hz-DSM2/Detail

Battery
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...mah-35C/Detail
Jtupnsmoke is offline Find More Posts by Jtupnsmoke
Old May 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Thanks Jtupnsmoke. I will check that out.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
cgilr,

I have to agree with Jt...you won't find a better plane to start with than this one. You will learn the basics of building an EPP plane and it is almost indestructible.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old May 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Good to know hankg. Sounds like the EzFly it is. I may move up to the Sky Surfer and then a Yak after I get use to the EzFly. I also bought Real Flight 6 Simulator to practice on as well but you cannot beat the real thing to get the feeling.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
cgilr,

That's a sound plan. Flying these foam airplanes is a lot of fun but getting your brain's neurons and your thumbs to work in harmony takes a lot of practice, practice, practice. Once things begin to "click" you really get a sense of accomplishment along with really having a good time.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Hankg
Old May 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
99941 EzFly trainer kit w/ hardware
The kit consists of all the foam pieces precut from white EPP foam. The control surfaces come prebeveled and the spar slot is routed. The kit also... $25.00

So, I think I have everything listed below that I need, except the Radio, right?

12 5 gram Servo
Size : 22.9x11.4x22 mm / 0.9x0.45x0.87 in Voltage : 3v ~ 6v Weight: 5g / 0.18oz Speed : 0.10 sec/60(4.8V) Torque : 0.8 kg-cm $5.00

Add:

80 BEC Female Connector
This is one female BEC connector with wires. You'll need this to go with the speed controls under 10 amps. This is the matching plug for the small... $1.25

Add:

33 R610 - DSM2 compatable 6 channel receiver
Weight: 9.8 grams with case. Compatible with DSM2 aircraft radio and module systems. 6 Channels. Size: 43x22x13mm. Input voltage: 3.7~9.6V. This is... $13.00

Add:

0 Welders Adhesive
2-Pack 1 Oz. Professional Welder You can use this contact adhesive to assemble all the parts of one of our EPP planes. For gluing two pieces together... $5.50

... more info

3 26gr 2730-1500kv motor
No. Of cells:2-3 Li-Poly RPM/V:1500 RMP/V Dimensions:32x43 mm Shaft diameter: 3 mm Weight:26 g Propeller: 8x4.3 $15.00

Add:

139 stick motor mount
Length: 75mm (can cut to any size) Width: 10mm Base: 24mm Diameter Internal Diameter: 8mm The 26gr motor will mount into the stick without needing... $1.75

Add:

48 Razor horns - 2 pair
Height: 0.8125 (13/16) 4/pkg 0.49 grams/ea. These are very durable. $3.00

Add:

43 12-15A ESC
Weight: 7.1g Size: 22x18x5mm Cells: 2-3S (Auto Detect) Max Current: 12A Burst: 15A BEC: 2A Click the button to download the instructions: $11.00

Add:

26 GWS prop 7x6 $1.25

Add:

4 Hyperion 20C, 450mah 3s li-po battery
Voltage: 11.1 Capacity: 450mah Connector: JST Balance plug: Yes Size(mm):55.8x30.0x14.8 Weight: 42.48 Grams $14.95

Add:
Old May 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
do I have everything listed above what I need besides the radio?
Old May 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
cgilr,

Make sure you have a receiver that is compatible with your radio, i.e.when you invest in a radio, the manufacturer will also stipulate a receiver to go with it. As you gain experience, you will find other receivers available but when you start out I found it best to go with the set stipulated by the manufacturer...others may disagree but those that do usually have a lot of experience under their belts.

Go to Walgreens or Staples and buy a sheet or two of Poster Board. ALWAYS make templates of every EPP part you get when you buy a precut kit. After that plane is a pile of rubble, you may want to buy a sheet of 9mm EPP and build another one for your self or a friend and you will have the templates available.

If you can't get Welders glue, Loctite stick and seal, found at Walmart will work just as well.

You will need 1 motor...1500Kv.
2 servos...one for the elevator, one for the rudder.
1 plastic motor mount...the 8 mm bearing housing will slide into it.
1 7x6 GWS prop and 1 prop saver.
1 12-15 amp ESC and 1 JST female connector. The female connector will have to be soldered to the red and black wires coming from the ESC and then covered with 1/8 shrink tube to insulate the connections. This plug will plug into the JST plug on the battery.

The three motor leads will be soldered to the 3 leads on the ESC via 2mm plugs. The soldered joints will be covered with 1/8" shrink tube for insulating purposes. Also, you can unplug any two leads and reverse them easily so you get the right rotation on your motor. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...nectors/Detail

I'll stop here because I've added a lot to the simplicity of the setup...ask questions before you order. There are plenty of people reading this that will help you out.

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...go to this site and read what another first time builder ( Blackboots 1337) had to say about his build.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=blackboot..
Last edited by hankg; May 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
You rock Hankg! That is a lot of infromation and I appreciate you takign the time to write. I will do soem more research and post what I find. Have a good one!
Old May 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
I plan to buyt the Spektrum dx61 but their receivers are expensive. How can you tell what is compataible with their radios?
Old May 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
it looks like i need to buy a spektrum 6 channel receive if I get the spektrum dx6i.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the spektrum dx6i. My Hobby Town has it for $219 (includes a receiver) but I am sure i could get it cheaper somewhere else. Any ideas?
Old May 21, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
cgilr,

Here's the question you have to ask yourself cg...am I going to stay with this hobby or am I going to try it out and see where it goes. If you scroll down to the very bottom of this site, there is a section made up of buyers and sellers of everything you can think of...a lot of transmitters for sale there.

You can build one of these foamies for around $60.00 not counting the transmitter and receiver. You will have to buy a battery charger to charge your LiPos. That will cost another $40.0 to $60.00 if you get a decent one. You might want to consider a cheap HobbyKing transmitter and receiver to use until you decide where you are going with this hobby. I use a Futaba transmitter but just for the heck of it I bought a cheap 2.4 Ghz transmitter and receiver from the U.S hobbyking outlet for $30.00 including shipping ( they're out right now). With hobbyKing you take your chances but I've had decent luck with them over the last four years. I've used it with my Yak55 for two years without a hitch. It isn't a sophisticated piece of equipment like a Spectrum or Futaba...no computers or mixing etc, but it does the job when you want to go to the park and fly.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Just a thought...I know I'm going to catch it from a lot of the people on this site but this hobby can be like the fitness craze that goes on in the US...there's a lot of ab machines sitting in garages around the country.

Regards,

Hankg
Last edited by hankg; May 21, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Thanks hankg. That is great advice. I have a 2 1/2 yr daughter and a 1 1/2 son so would like to stick with it for fun times with them. Yeah, the radio cost is what is killing me right now so I am open top other options. i willt ake a lott at other threads and see what they say. I also have a friend who has been doing this for many years and he really enjoys the dx6i. He said your main two investments are the Sim and the radio. After that, you are pretty much set up. Have a great day!