HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:34 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
The more Zlin on this thread the better!

Well the winds for the last few weeks have been +20mph & we've been getting rain. That's a good thing (the rain). But for taxi testing, ground flips are a real possibility, ask me how I know. Today finally back to the hobby shop where the Zlin will receive some final detailing in trim. Hopefully after a few hours it will be looking like it will for it's mainden. Still winds forcasted in the 20s however when it is ready I will be keeping an eye out and look forward to a taxi test.

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
WELL..... What's the news. Still windy and rainy I suppose.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
The more Zlin on this thread the better!
Ill take you at your words (swedish saying, dont know if it aply in english)

Thank you Ken for the building articles!

I have now received a package from US with laser cut parts from Dick van Mouricks design. Ooh I want to start building!!

/Mattias
Hammra is offline Find More Posts by Hammra
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
Mattias

Traplet has the cowl and canopy. The belly pan on the wing will have to be fabricated. At one point I was conversing with LDS on having the belly pan parts laser cut to be included in the short kit. Did he do this yet?

Ken
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Cowl and canopy ordered! Thank you Ken for yet another great tip!!

I have not yet checked the kit more than a fast glance. I will check and report later.

/Mattias
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
just to be sure -is the belly pan the lower fuselage under the middle section of the wing?

/Mattias
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
Yes, that is correct. At one time it was available as a fiberglass part. Now you will have to build it. It stays attached to the wing so not a big deal. And it looks simple enough to build.

Do yourself a favor and Google "strip planking". I did and used the technique on the forward turtle deck on the CAP in my avatar. It goes fast and is easier to do than forming a solid sheet. You will make good use of it on the Zlin. Cut a bunch of strips first and make sure they are beveled. I'll also look for the link just in case.

Ken

PS
I'm wondering if we should start a new thread for the building hints on this plane?? I've just barely started on mine we could share our build together. It will give me motivation to get going on it

EDIT: Strip planking article.
http://www.raysmodels.ca/Technical%2...%20article.doc
Last edited by kenh3497; Sep 29, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Hi Ken!

I have not yet looked at the balsa parts if there is anything for the belly pan, but I would guess that there isn't. Not a problem I think/hope.

About strip planking method I have not used the technique so for no other reason I would like to try, have to check that article later. Started to think (hurts a bit as always) how to do strip planking.. without knowing the meaning of the word beveled , it all came together when I looked that up

Would be great with a thread for sharing the build! I just hope I will have time to build this winter. Already in progress with some other planes, to many other hobbies and soon to be father again I'm afraid it will be a challenge. I'd like to try though!

/Mattias PS. Cowl and canopy arrived the other day
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
I hear you about the building part. I was given an Extra 300 that lost the firewall, rest of the plane is without damage to rebuild. Also a Carl Goldberg Monster Pits S12. Broken nose and lower wing half messed up. Rest of the plane is good. And a Sig Ultimate Bipe profile kit, with one wing built, that was going to be burned as the previous owner didn't want it????

I also have to build a new wing for the CAP in my avatar as I broke the wing in flight last Sunday. The fuse is fine but it was an exciting ride down. Here is the link to the first rebuild. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10804273/tm.htm

I may have to quit my job so as to have time to get all this done by next summer

Ken
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:23 PM
Schweiz, SG, Wil
Joined Oct 2006
28 Posts
Hi

Great to read that you are doing a build-thread. I also received my LDS short kit of the "van Mourik Zlin". I plan to do a Zlin 226AS. This model has a fixed gear therefore les cost. Here is picture of the choosen one. I must say it is cheated. Some manipulation on the photo made a 2 seater 226MS into a single seater 226ASM. The original 226A had the old style canopy and a fixpitch propeller. Some got upgraded to the variable prop and the nice looking canopy. For me thats the one.

Regards, Aldo
Aldo Rebsamen is online now Find More Posts by Aldo Rebsamen
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
Isaiah 40:31
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
I like the older long canopy versions. Must have let in a ton of rain when exiting/entering the cockpit.
rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:34 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
OK, I finally found it. A thread on the "other site" about a Zlin build.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59..._1/key_/tm.htm

Ken
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:27 PM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
I hear you about the building part. I was given an Extra 300 that lost the firewall, rest of the plane is without damage to rebuild. Also a Carl Goldberg Monster Pits S12. Broken nose and lower wing half messed up. Rest of the plane is good. And a Sig Ultimate Bipe profile kit, with one wing built, that was going to be burned as the previous owner didn't want it????
Well Ken, what can I say I just have one real project with a balsa scratch build and 1,2 or 3 small other more or less(!) spectacular foamies. Good deed saving the Ultimate away the flames! A small Ultimate foamie is by the way almost the only thing I have flown this summer

Quote:
I also have to build a new wing for the CAP in my avatar as I broke the wing in flight last Sunday. The fuse is fine but it was an exciting ride down. Here is the link to the first rebuild.
Man, exiting is no exaggeration Have you read this? Scroll down to Snapped Wing Spar: http://www.historynet.com/the-10-gre...y-landings.htm

Quote:
I may have to quit my job so as to have time to get all this done by next summer
Hope it goes well with your job! I just signed papers for a house with access to it perfectly timed with birth of our second child so time is perfect nevertheless I will try to start to build the Zlin this winter, it will most certainly not be airborne by next summer but who knows?

Ken, if you feel like it, please start a thread. I suspect the hints will be mostly from you but Ill do my best to contribute!

Aldo, hopefully you will join in too

/Mattias
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
I'll probably start a new thread in this section. http://www.rcgroups.com/balsa-builders-807/ It is new and just opened up a few days ago. It is already filled with very good "stuff" and I've already learned a few good tricks.

There is a complete story with the accident investigation report someplace on the web. Talk about needing a fresh pair of underwear

Hope to see you in the Balsa builders section Mattias

Ken

My build thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754920 It will be a slow go so build so be patient.
Last edited by kenh3497; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
I'm still here & alive! Been extream;y busy w/ family these last many weeks, but even today driving 150 miles rounding up steering parts for das BMW. Done. Maybe now I can sneek back into the hobby room.

Good to see some Zlin things flying around on this thread. Going to have to check you out over at RCU Mr. Ken! Thank you for a very nice picture Aldo, lots of "bare" aluminum! He, he.

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E