HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Looking at your photos in the previous post and this one I see what you are doing. To bad you have to jump through so many hoops for such a simple thing. I would have been so easy to bury a servo in each wing, before they were attached to each other. That is what I did on mine and I added the scale spades. I made the horn and spade mount as one piece and it worked slick.

You will get tot he end and as I said I wish I could be there for the maiden.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:21 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Exactly, and it's done! Looks & works well even. Seperate servos L&R. Photos to come soon.

Have to rub elbows w/ the BMW parts dept this morning, then change out the overflow tank. Then time to polish all that aluminum!

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
676 Posts
This one of my favorites. I thought it would be easy to find this kit, it's a VERY hard bird to find! Great job!
rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc capo View Post
This one of my favorites. I thought it would be easy to find this kit, it's a VERY hard bird to find! Great job!
It's been out of production for 25 or 30 years and I don't think the kit was all that popular. You do see it on one of the auction sites from time to time.

I have this one on the bench now. I've lost a bit of interest for the moment but will get back on it this winter.

http://store.laser-design-services.c...products_id=70

Be forewarned while the short kit is cut exactly to the plans the plans are not 100% correct. It will take a bit of tweaking to get it perfect. In a way that's not all bad as you can make everything fit just right. I have a copy of the original RCM article I grabbed off the interweb if anybody needs it. It's no longer out there

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
This one of my favorites. I thought it would be easy to find this kit, it's a VERY hard bird to find! Great job! Thanks RC Capo! It was a freebie, given away because somebody's wifey said "it had to go" The appreciation will only grow from here. So here are some pics as it is currently.....
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
This Zlin Akrobat; Sig Kit of the late 60s & early 70s does have important history, if not only as a rare aircraft, but as it's history in aviation as a significant (and still effective) stunt plane. But in RC, a winner at the 1969 NATS, well here is what the box says...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
some interesting history in the 1st picture
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
True story....

Somebody was flying a 526 coming out of a dive when the main spar snapped. The pilot rolled inverted and the wing returned to it's normal position. He flew inverted to a low enough altitude, rolled upright and crashed next to the runway. He walked away from the crash. All 526's from that point on had the main spar pressurized with nitrogen with a gauge. You checked the gauge before each flight. if the pressure dropped, you knew the spar had cracked.

There is a detailed account buy the investigating body someplace on the interweb.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Hey Ken-

"Designed by Dick van Mourik" So this is the Zlin you're doing. Nice & big too! Q: The RCM article your speaking of, is this for the Sig Zlin, or for the one your building?

My servo batteries are low, can't get the retracts down. May try in 30 minutes and shoot & post a pic or two.

Next for this is a bunch of finalization for details like...

LiPo installation - currently the 5s / 5000Mah won't fit through the hatch whoops! I may need to radius a couple of cross braces.

Canopy - some trim needed to express the scale accuracy

Cowling - needs mounting points, will go w/ the same fasteners as the canopy. Should be invisable against the foil skin. I'm used to plastic or fiberglass. Balsa is very soft even w/ the foil. May look into a plastic #2 shoulder washer.

Wing/fuse mating - have a small gap on one side.

Detail - don't know where to start actually. Thinking of just starting at one end and seeing what else that can be done (at this point) to assure scale looks. Also need to see what my collected vinyl collection will do to add some fancy color. I have lots of Orange, need black on the forward cockpit canopy area, have some reflective dark Blue, Lt Blue, Yellow, Red, so it needs to see some "show colors".

I'm still debating the right side cowl vents. I think that if I can assemble all the louvers in a single assembly, it would strenghten the piece, and cooling needs to be adressed as well.

So no problem, this is getting exciting as a taxi is just around the corner...should of been yesterday Ae Ken? Exactly, the heat has let back a few degrees (less than 100) these last couple of days so it's starting to be flying weather again. Let me check on the servo battery....

Doug
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
You checked the gauge before each flight Wow, me an ex B-52 Crew Chief, I can realise the benefit in that. Boeing would of made it a multi million dollar mistake, but they just these last few years have made anything that exceeded Mach I

Doug
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
I think I'm addicated to Zlins for my next build.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
Hey Ken-

"Designed by Dick van Mourik" So this is the Zlin you're doing. Nice & big too! Q: The RCM article your speaking of, is this for the Sig Zlin, or for the one your building?

Doug

It's the van Mourik Zlin. I also have some documentation from another fellow while he built his van Mourik Zlin.

I have to get to work on that thing. You are making me jealous with yours. I was hopping for you to maiden yours like two years ago

It's looking good though. Did you see the guy putting sheet aluminum on his DC3? A work of art!!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Capricorn's DC-3. Work of art to say the least. Can't wait to see the wing & fuse together. Currently my fav build to watch.

Doug
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mattias
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
It's been out of production for 25 or 30 years and I don't think the kit was all that popular. You do see it on one of the auction sites from time to time.

I have this one on the bench now. I've lost a bit of interest for the moment but will get back on it this winter.

http://store.laser-design-services.c...products_id=70

Be forewarned while the short kit is cut exactly to the plans the plans are not 100% correct. It will take a bit of tweaking to get it perfect. In a way that's not all bad as you can make everything fit just right. I have a copy of the original RCM article I grabbed off the interweb if anybody needs it. It's no longer out there

Ken
Ken, I just ordered that kit and it's on it's way to Sweden now. I would realy like to read that article you saved!
Regards
Mattias
Hammra is offline Find More Posts by Hammra
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammra View Post
Ken, I just ordered that kit and it's on it's way to Sweden now. I would realy like to read that article you saved!
Regards
Mattias

PM your e-mail address to me I'll forward what I have.

Ken
RCG Plus Member