HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
My Zlin is looooong gone. Wish I still had it though! It was one of those "disaster" planes. Everything and anything that could happen to it did I was a bearcat to build Just after completion, a door setting against the wall fell over. You know where the Zlin was setting..... Big crease in one of the wing panels. Lost the rudder on the second or third flight.... ya the big flappy thing on the back of the plane engine shook loose cause I was to lazy to pull the cowl and check things out I know there were a couple of other things also. BUT, it was a nice flying plane overall. That's why I have a 20% scale in the works. the prototype had a 150 four cycle on it. 83 inch wing to give you some scale of the size.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:06 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Here is a quick video of this plane at it's current state

Zlin Akrobat 70in 032 (3 min 16 sec)
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Just after completion, a door setting against the wall fell over Oh Ken, I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand. My kids just turning into young adults, so finally the last few years I started back into this hobby knowing that I'd be better at than the years past, especially with the brushless craze going on. I get real "anal" about certin things and especially maintenance points. I'm most likely a better builder than a flyer so, might as well take care of my babies- though my hanger after this one is completed, it'll be quite full.

Sheeting this weekend of the fuselage & starting on some detailing of the wheel wells. I need to find some light green paint to simulate a Zinc Chromate finish.

Regards all,
Doug
Last edited by 43851E; Jun 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Hello all,

During the last few days, the work has been mounting the servos and running the pull-pull system. So far today it looks to be working well with everything trimmed. The deflection is perhaps 25% too much at the elevator, but I need that for now to make sure the mechanical limits are pushed back. I'm using #2 ballbearing clevis-swivel connections at the exterior -horn conection points. So it will be all disconnected from the control surfaces getting ready for covering and the final installation with glueing the sub-flush hinges.

So untill the covering happens this is the time to go over everything. I need to attach a stringer (1/8th) sq balsa down the fuse fron the LE back on each side for the scale look, & build a small shelf for the receiver and find a place for the receiver battery.

The electrical I will get into shortly. This plane will use the MPI "arming switch", removable 12awg jumper and a flush mounted 3 LED voltage indicating - charging plate.

Please excuse no pictures, the wife is gone for a couple of weeks w/ the camera, but I have one that should do the trick -UPDATE ._...._ _ ._ .._.....if my charger will corperate~
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
Looking good Doug!!!

Once I get my CAP sorted out I'll get back to my 20% Zlin build....unless I get distracted again. You will love the way the Zlin flies once you get it in the air. I would describe it as "majestic".

Ken
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:08 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
The 'ole camera works, all 1.3 megapixels. Went to the LHS today to buy another roll of Jet White Monocoat. This will make 3 rolls total. Just broke into the 1st roll last night. My baby, she's wearing clothes!

I did go ahead and go the route of putting a good coating of MinWax Fast Drying PU (silver can) on the fuse & wing. It feels really sealed now, though the wood soaked it up quite a bit.

LiPos, I ordered some of these
....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25523 Some sort of new smaller LiPo, HK was hold'en out on the good stuff, I knew it!

I'll run 2 in parallel giving me 8000mah at 3s. This nose is VERY tight mind you, excuse me...'yall.

Cooling issues expected currently, will need to come up with something good looking and fuctional. Scoops man, scoops, duct work I'm tell'in ya, smoooooth and coooool!

Alright, enough "professional procrastation", off to the shop & kill some more trees streaming music off the internet website "www.lastfm.com"

Doug
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Looking good Doug!!!

Once I get my CAP sorted out I'll get back to my 20% Zlin build....unless I get distracted again. You will love the way the Zlin flies once you get it in the air. I would describe it as "majestic".

Ken
Man that's music to my ears, how it will fly from an actual experienced pilot of this exact plane...AND...that you plan on "gett'in 'er done", your 20% Zlin. That means that you're back at it. I pray that you'll back at 100% or close as possible
Ken. Thanks again for all your help with this build, it's like wind under the wings if you know what I mean

I Did a terrible thing, looked at 2 sheets of Jet White film and then one, hummm, think I'll shoot some white spray can paint early in the morning. Man, it'll really pop white then. I was looking at some trim colors today at the LHS. Teal, dark blue & dark purple. Looks like some hot rod color scheme from Boyd Coddington (RIP).

Next 2 days are all on this bird, too hot to fly, well it's the LiPos you know....yea, yea ~

Doug
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:45 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
I would leave off the rudder trimmer. It is a fairly large rudder and it's just one more thing to break....

Speaking of rudder, you will learn to use the rudder flying this plane. It likes the rudder as much as the ailerons. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it wants to swap ends ( ground loop) you need to be aware of what you are doing and not let the plane get ahead of you. After a couple of practice take offs, you'll see what I mean. Don't be afraid of it, just respect it. It just flies nicer if some rudder is used, just like the full scale plane does.

You're finding out about the tight nose. Some how I managed to stuff a 60 two stroke and a custom made muffler in there and nothing hung out in the breeze. I would think an electric would fit like a dream.

I did the paint scheme like was pictured on the kit box. It was a lot of work but it looked sharp when done.

Your old girl is looking pretty snazzy!!!! Keep up the good work.

Ken
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
U.P. Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
131 Posts
I have a similar story with a more common plane. A few years ago I was given a carl goldberg super chipmunk that a guy was going to turn into kindling for his garage wood stove. Because I showed interest, he asked me if I wanted it. It is still in pretty sad shape but one day I am going to get her in the air. This thread might help with that. I could be wrong but the Super Chipmunk and Zlin should fly similar as their construction is so. Right?
101stAB is offline Find More Posts by 101stAB
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:12 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
101stAB,

Folks just don't accept and old scratch kit plane anymore sometimes. I mean this Sig here was left for gone. Nobody wanted it, and I'm still joyus to have it. What do they say....beauity is in the eye of the beholder? I wish you much enjoyment undertaking your Chipmunk build. I wish you will start a build log, especially of it's long history in this sport. I'm sure that it will be watched and hopefully be good for others to donate experience & yourself to show us your baby and it's rebuilding. I got over a hundred hours in this one!

Ken, Boy what I would have given to see you Akrobat up close, especially w/ all that custom exhaust work. Thanks for the rudder info, I'll plan on a little mix to aileron. That big flappy thing, no kidding.

Motor & ESC positioning is been decieded. The standoff length is the only deal left. As I start going through all the plastic assortment, I am discovering some spinner parts. I think I will have to cut my own prop blade exit holes. The prop is sort of a 2 ended boat paddle looking thing. Sig gives a design to use, but for now I'll be going w/ a birtch 12 or 13".

I put discriptions in the pics. More soon.

Doug
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
It' s been a rainy July so far here in SE Texas, but that's OK compared to the 100 days of 100+ days last year this time. And so it's inside building cool planes in the air conditioning. Sort of like the "winter builds" up north here.

Well currently there are soooo many items to finalize, or should say to rework if the final design fails on the bench. Not so much the latter thank goodness. Still needing to order some metallic red Monocoat for the fuse & wings, the white & "Insignia blue" I have plenty of on hand. Tower will get this order as they have the best selection always on the films. So as I get this bad boy sorted out, I thought I'd jump in to the nose. Sig back then of course gave the builder lots of leeway (ways to figure your you-know-what from a hole in the ground), so away I go with this one. My motor has no theads inside the end of the radial prop adaptor, so this means a lathe job, and my old trusty 8x19 will be more than happy to "get'er done". I'll be installing a 1/2 (12mm) deep 4-40 thread for screwing the nose piece on. The alloy I'm guessing is 6061-T6, but would be blessed if it was 7075-T6, but the prior takes plating much better as it's anodized black already. The stand off length was settled on finally after a night of two along with the front cover of the cowling which has to receive it's final position, then the cowling sanded to it's outside shape & glued after painting which will be the "Fusion" type of cataylitic plastic paint satin white.

The rudder (big floppy thingy) is having a bit of a hard time centering, my total servo swing is good so the centering should be good. One thing is that the hidden hinge kisses up against the inside of the vertical stab, that combined with the length of the stab makes a small centering issue look BIG, so the moving surface is'nt coming out, yet....(rubbing forehead). I'll have to come up with something, changing the geometry I believe won't help as I'm using the most of the servo travel at present. Only about +/- 20 at the stab. Maybe slipping a .032" piano wire rod down and acuate the rudder rolling the rod to help compress the materials in the shielded area.

I want to play around with some "Flight Metal", actually I'll use the high polished aluminum duct tape for some areas of this plane. Between colors and perhaps on the back of the cowl and maybe on the wing tips. Here is a how to I did a few years back using this methold....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145808

On my way out to the local "street tunes" shop to buy some power cable for wiring the electrics. 12 awg, silicone, fine strand. The best place to drive by locally and pick up some quality wire at a good price. So after that, I'll slip back into the grotto(shop) for the rest of today.

Enjoy this Saturday everyone!

Doug
Last edited by 43851E; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
The motor mounting is complete. Just painted the parts w/ some Rustolium (spelling?) "Fusion" satin white. The prop is a Zinger Pro 13x8 which will be the "speed" prop if I go w/ 4 cells. I need to do some bench tests with this prop, a 12x10 won't pull 40 amps on 3s as the motor is rated up to 50 something FLA.

Thinking tomorrow will see the wing finally receiving the mounting bolts. 1/4-20 nylon bolts. Also have to get going on the scale details such as the cockpit, canopy attachment, cowling attachment, charging plate, arming jack, and wiring.

Check out my free 8 gauge silicone fine strand cable. I scrounged 7 feet from the "scraps" box at my local car auido shop. The owner was away and his techs were interested in the electric RC application. Especially the possibility of on board video keycams. So it was a good visit talking with some young techies about big electric RC planes. They were all eyes when I said "8 gauge, 70 inch wing span, 80 MPH". Well maybe not this plane, but my Extra 300 roars at half throttle.

Cooling is there, at least there are some scoops in this plane as scale. So it's up to me to make that happen. There is a series of slats on the right side of the cowling that I still have to figure out a good way to install them. These would be helpfull however the internal nose (under the cowling) will have to receive an opening. Thats alright seeing that the front motor cover has a big opening in the front. That kind of marks the Ackrobat in an average line up.

My trusty Chinese high precision 8x19 lathe. It's has wide "ways". When tapping, I leave the spindle running and slide the tap into the chucked part. Drill out the end starting with a center bit, little stubby short drill, then w/ the tap drill. When it's ready for the thread, just put the tap in the tail piece, and then turn off the spindle and push the tap into the part. Normally I get 4 to 5 threads before the spindle stops. Never broke a tap yet using this methold. Use a teflon crayon for lubrication, this does plug the flutes, but the lube factor of the teflon really works well. Never heat teflon when machining, it produces extreamly hazardous gas. Phosgene Gas. The Teflon crayon is typically available a Home Depot in the plumbing section where the pipe dope is located. I use it to chase threads tapped into plywood applied to the screw after CA is filled into the freshly tapped hole. Use this stuff when tapping any thread, but beware that you will have to clean out the cuttings more often.

MPI makes some very much required accessories. The most important is the arming switch. This is a short jumper of 12 awg wire that you carry around with you so you can leave your charged LiPos in the plane, it's not a charging jack. Never charge your LiPo batteries in the plane. You must monitor them while charging on a bench with fire danger managed. Saftey does not exsist, one must invent it each time one needs it. The other MPI part is the receiver/servo battery charge and voltage monitor plate. It has 3 leds (red, yellow & green) that let you know the condition of the voltage level when under load with the power switch, it also had a charging jack with a door keeping it clean inside. When the LiPos are charged & installed, simply turn on the 5 volt supply to the REC, preform your pre-flight inspection, and then plug in the LiPo jumper and you ready to go flying.

Back to working on that list. So close, but still so far away!

Doug
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
Sorry for not getting back here quicker. Our "puter contracted that ugly virus that was the latest rage earlier this week. A reformat of the hard drive was my only solution..... but that's another story

I would be very cautious of that plastic spinner. I think it was for static display only. I searched high and low for a spinner to match the Zlin spinner. Both then and now. It appears there is nothing available. Imagine that! Like the Zlin is a popular and commonly seen airplane.

It's looking pretty good though. Keep plugging away. It won't be long before it's flying.

Ken
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Re-format the HD? OH man i'm so sorry. Yep, I heard of that virus last week. I heard about it from a friend who is about the 2nd or 3rd best it around these parts, he mentioned that the federal government had to shutdown some of it's mainframes, to which I replied;"that most likely where it's coming from".

For static display only?? I had it going strong but the nose piece at the very end does have to be screwed on. I left the spinner base unglued. The spinner it's self is out of round as it came from the box. OK, so that makes mefeel better if I go with the tried & true OTC spinner. Tried it on 4s, hummmm I believe that's where I'm going. 46 amps out of 53 FLA for the motor (full load amp) on a 13x8. It's a 3530 at 570Kv, A brand called "T" motor I received as a sample when I was considering retailing their line until I saw Lucian Miller @ Inov8tive already carried their smallest line of motors.

Check out the sub-flush LiPo jumper box. The jumper cable only sticks out 1/4" into the airstream. Soldered up a brand set of 4 NiMh AA cells, 2200Mah.

Finish scheme, been thinking of the aluminum foil "flight metal look" that I have become versed with. Check out the DC-3 I did the wings with. For this Zlin, I was envisioning the LE & TE with a 2 inch color (insigina dk blue on the LE & red at the TE) with the most of the middle a dark polished Aluminum. At 6 grams/sq ft why not. here is my old RCG how to link.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145808

Good job Ken fixing that PC!

Getting closer.....

Doug
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
I just read your aluminum foil duct tape thread. You're making me jealous I figured it would be much harder to work with.

Ken