HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Is a 15cm (6") aircraft with a 10g payload possible
yes 42 93.33%
no 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2003
177 Posts
thanks again - the one thing this project is certainly good at is growing! The more I learn the more I know I need to know, and the less I know I know about it
Viper2000 is offline Find More Posts by Viper2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:23 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Now I have no idea where im remembering this from.. so i cant point you at the MAV it was in refference to..

but i do remember someone useing the maxton motor that is available from astro flight as the Firefly.. but with out the gear box.. if i find the info i'll post it.

Piers
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
177 Posts
thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:29 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...roducts:af-796

This is the motor, they give you a pretty good run down off its abilities on there..

Im affraid working out the current draw for the sort of rpm your after is beyond me now ... haha... really havent applied my electronics degree at any point since i graduated..

Piers
Old Jan 31, 2004, 01:22 PM
Gainesville, Fla
Joined Aug 2002
125 Posts
U-80's are best comercial prop for those motors they work even better when you try crop them a little. (about 1/8-1/4")
Kallikrates is offline Find More Posts by Kallikrates
Old Jan 31, 2004, 01:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
177 Posts
thanks guys! I'll put those numbers into the model and see what happens.

Matt
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:23 PM
Gainesville, Fla
Joined Aug 2002
125 Posts
Just some info: we were able to fly a 5 3/4" (If I remember) for about 11.5 min last year to win the endurance competition on some older 250mah etech cells and a maxon + cropped u-80. Wish I could remember which one of the re-10's it was.

Nasa langly was going to publish all of the reports from last years competition I think they have but they are all only available via hardcopy versions from the reports center which means non free.
Kallikrates is offline Find More Posts by Kallikrates
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:39 AM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Did you have any luck with your project ?

Piers
Old Apr 18, 2004, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
177 Posts
unfortunately the whole thing kinda collapsed - I'd bought a load of bits and uni decided they weren't interested, so I'm somewhat "out of pocket". On the other hand, I've learnt a lot and have a new hobby, so I guess you win some, you lose some. They also said that after all that they weren't going to fund me to do the competitions. So I ended up stopping development because I couldn't get them to change their minds on it. Also the Zagi which I'd hoped to use for avionics development broke up in mid air due to flutter. I haven't got new cores for it because they haven't given me the money for the work I'd already done. By the time I stopped work I must have spent about 800 on tools and aircraft . So I'm waiting for my bank balance to recover for a while. Then I'll get some more bits and get back in the air - despite it all, it was great fun

Currently I'm waiting for a wingwarrior to come for me from the states - I bought it as a last ditch effort to get things rolling again - plus it was on special offer, plus I wanted to have a toy to play with after the death of the zagi. It made it to Atlanta alright, but then my relatives who were going to bring it over had second thoughts when they saw the size of the box and decided to post it to me instead. Anyway to cut a long story short, that's been in the post for several weeks, and I'm starting to worry that it might have been impounded or something...

Once that comes, I'll get back to playing about with some micro stuff...

I'm also slowly building a tigermoth of about 22" span, which I'll probably electrify. However, having looked at it in the cold light of day it's not quite straight, so I'm not sure if it'll fly. But, as with the MAV thing, I've learnt a lot, and if it doesn't fly it'll make for a pretty display item, or a good bonfire!

In other news, I'm transferring to Leeds uni now to do aviation technology with pilot studies, in september, which means I'll get some flying, and should leave with a PPL. Hopefully leeds will be more interested in the whole MAV thing - if so then I may be able to continue the project. Fingers crossed

Why is it that as soon as any project involves the words "aviation", "aircraft", "aeroplane" etc, it suddenly ends up being about 3 times as hard as you first expect ? I read a book about supermarine that said they found that if they worked out the man hours needed on a project to the best of their ability in good faith, and multiplied it by pi then they usually ended up with about the right answer!

Anyway, it was fun, and I'd like to thank everyone who helped by replying to the threads I started. I'll be back! You never know - I might even get an MAV out to the comp one day

Matt
Last edited by Viper2000; Apr 18, 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 07:41 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Ahh thats a terrible shame.. it happens only to often though..

Good look with the new course.

How come you decided to go with the Wing Warrior, rather than the easier to get Unicorn or Combat wing - both available in the UK

Piers
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:04 AM
Joined Nov 2003
177 Posts
there was a special offer on - which combined with the exchange rate made it very very cheap - brushless motor (mega 4 turn), esc and battery thrown in with the aircraft, all for about 130!

M
Old Apr 19, 2004, 02:26 AM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Ahhh now thats a good reason

The exchane rate is very helpfull at the moment

Piers