HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Need a little help with some electronics

Hi

I'm new, I'm sean, and i'm in the middle of a building an RC rocket proppelled, Rocked deployed, glider, you may debate as to whether or not the addition of the rocket stops it from being classified as a glider or not, though for a majority of it's flight it will be gliding, thus, i chose the term glider. Anyway, as you can imagine even though my eyesight is about as good as it gets, spotting and controlling a small lump of tubing from 300m away is a little tricky (i tried a few test models, with no RC gear, just tubes and wings and, well, I've no idea where they are) thus i have deduced, a camera is required, im planning to use something a little like this:

http://www.amazplus.com/catalog/prod...7?currency=USD (note the term, like this, I haven't actually decided, feel free to advise)

though a range of 20m (i've seen ones like this up to about 50m range) isn't really enough, what i need to know is how to improve this range, the only cameras i've seen with a suitable range have either been the size of a brick, or stupid money.

Out of interest, has anyone seen anywhere online that sells an adapter that will allow me to input AUX signal into my laptop (i'd imagine into usb)?

Thanks very much
Sean
SeanHowson is offline Find More Posts by SeanHowson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
If anyone has a schematic for a signal amplifier or something that may work that'd be great? :S
Old May 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Co. Wexford, Ireland
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
hi Sean,

I'm not that familiar with the fpv application of wireless cameras but as a general rule, a bigger antenna gets more gain. The bigger the antenna on both sides, the more range you will get.

A more powerful transmitter and a more sensitive receiver also help the range.

That camera looks very cheap and you will be getting what you paid for. There are many, many small, light and better quality systems out there. Do you have a target budget? What about maximum weight?

You are probably better looking for a camera and separate transmitter. Should still be small and light but leaves you more flexibility in placement on the glider.

Also, not sure about your location. If in the US, is 1.2GHz an open frequency?

Just from a quick google, here is a camera with 300ft distance with the tiny antenna on the back.
5.8 GHz Hidden Wireless Mini Color Camera Set (0 min 41 sec)

You could hack it and get much greater distances but better to find separates as I said earlier and preferably with an external antenna connector.
broadband155 is offline Find More Posts by broadband155
Old May 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Hiya

Thanks for the reply

Yeah i know the camera's relatively cheap it was more of an example peice if im honest as there are so many of that general style, the camera you've linked looks pretty good, i'm looked to stick to about 20 to be honest, it's actually part of a school project.

on the subject of separate transmitters, i had actually considered, taking a normal webcam, giving it it's own power source, and taking it's video signal and sending that via a transmitter back to a receiver which could then be attached to the remains of the original usb lead although they seem to have a video+ and a video- lead coming out of the camera, so wasn't sure if this would work at all, just an idea, not to familar with camera electronics, hence why i wanted something like one of the little security cameras with an external mod, in terms of weight im hoping to keep it to 30g at the most (keeping in mind i can take casings off if i want to reduce weight etc)

i'm in the u.k. so you know, i'll probably run it on 2.4GHz, (again the one i linked was more just to give a general idea)

thanks for your help, i watched the video but the laptop is having one of those days i'm afraid and cant seem to open the product page, roughly how much is the camera you linked do you know? 300ft is a good range in comparison, how much do you think the extended ariel could increase this by?

cheers
sean
Old May 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
upside to the usb idea being i could have it running into the laptop while i fly, this is good as it gives me an excuse to take the laptop out (i'll have to run the video through the laptop somehow anyway, it's a large, readily available screen with the ability to play steppenwolf and lynyrd skynyrd this oppertuity cannot be dismissed)
Old May 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
http://www.ezspycam.com/ETX-001.htm this looked useful, untill i saw the price