Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Eastcoast78, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,366 Posts
Discussion
New QuadCopter El Cheapo frame!!

I put my Quadcopter in a few weeks ago. So had to build a new one.
This time wanted folding arms, the arm broke on the last one,resulting is atotalled frame.
Now with foldable/removable arms, in the event of a crash. Its as easy as replacing a arm vs the entire frame.

The frame is based on the Elcheapo Home Depot" basswood and ply frame.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543356

I used a 6''x 12'' 1/8 Ply Cut in half for a 6''x 6'' Main frame.
The arms are 10mmx10mm 36'' stock. The come in a variety of sizes.
This time i decided to shorten up the arms by 1'' making them 13''. The arms are in the Quad's "Main body 3''. Which gives a 10'' arm.

Using 4 #6 1/1/2'' bolts, they well act as the pivot point for the arms to fold inward, to the back and to the front! I used 2 washers, locking washer plus a wing nut.
The wing nut well allow for easy tightening and loosing of the arms for transportation, storage, also it well give, if there is ever a mishap.

On my last ECHD quad, i glued the arms directly to the 6''x6''ply. It was pretty darn tuff, i used the new Gorilla Super Glue. Boy is that stuff strong. Sets in about 30 secs and is crazy strong, its light and drys clear.
I highly recommend it

So back to the build.

Cutting eight 2'' blocks, i glued 2 too each end of the arms. Giving enough area to mount the motors later.

The way i lined up the arms to be perfect(as good as i could get) was a bit tricky.
First i inset each arm the distance i wanted! 3inchs! Then i traced around the arm which well help line things up when drilling the holes for the bolts. I used the corner of the ply wood to mark a center point to the 10mm dowels.

Once i had all 4 traced, i clamped the arms(one at a time) to one of the plywood plates. Top or bottom is does not really matter.
i marked the centre point and drilled a hole 1'' in from the end of the dowel and though the plywood

Once all 4 were done, i flipped it over, using the 4 holes i made for the 550 hili skid, i used them as a guide ,i then clamped the plate to the arms and opposite plate, set the drill in the holes i had just made and finished drilling into the ply.

Mounting the motors are pretty straight forward,used zip ties again. The rubber matting i used on the belly for the battey is the non slip mattingoyu can find at wall mart etc, itsused in the cupboards etc.
Should be in the kitchen section.

I have not installed the LEDS yet! This time i ma goin with just 2 colors. Red and blue i think!

Cover is the reused CD case. Mounted and CA'd on 5-6 blocks of foam mounting tape.
Had to mount it off the top ply plate as the ESC wires need to get to the Power distribution board

So heres a Piture and video run down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MT0zaiMyifM
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,366 Posts
Some more pictures
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; May 20, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Stranraer
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
I have started to build a Quad based on your procedure, I was a tad unsure on the integrity of CA glue, so, I decided to drill two holes to accommodate 2 x 4mm wooden dowel kept in place using PVA wood glue. I then added some double sided sticky foam and then stuck on 3mm plywood base plate, just need to drill the holes in them to take the zip ties that will hold the motors in place. I used 15mm x15mm square softwood for the arms.

I waiting on M4 x 30 nylon plastic bolts with wing nuts and washers to fix the arms to the body... will post up some pics when that process is completed...

cheers once again for posting your pictorial workflow...

few pics: each arm tips the scales at 39g
davyg is offline Find More Posts by davyg