SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Build Log
SU-57(Heinz)

I saw a pic awhile back of a jet that I thought would be a good subject for a 64mm detrum combo. I have the plans drawn up and the parts templates laid out. I will try to post progress pics as I go. I decided to design a mixture of elements into the jet from: F-16, F-22, SU-27, SU-37, SU47, and MIG-29. I kept the plans very simple with no bending or complex angels but I think it should make for a really sweet looking park jet.

OOPS.. forgot to give the specs:
span = 26"
length = 33"
fan = 64mm 4400kv 24oz. rated thrust
batt = 1600mah 3s 20c lipo
AUW = apox 16-18ozs
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; May 19, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
706 Posts
Nice design..check out frank40 for his project7 as it has forward swept wings and flies incredibly well!!!
Take care and good luck.......chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old May 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey thanks for that, I had intended to use a touch of washout on the tips but wasn't altogether positive that was the way to go or not, but frank40 used a little washout on his design and obviously it works great.
Joe
Old May 20, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
parts templates made and got all the parts cut this evening.
Last edited by sloperjoe; May 20, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Interesting project Joe. W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old May 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
thanks Walt,
got a good bit done today, the local hobby shop didn't have the CF spar material in the size I needed so I built the spars by laminating CF ribbon to light ply spars I cut to 5mm x 13.5inchs x 1/8th inch thick. came out fairly well. cut the slots and epoxied them in. next I used the CF ribbon and laminated to the bottom of the tail feathers. next I set up in the garage(the wife tolerates my building in the dining room and the kitchen counter top pretty well, but draws the line on Loctite spray adhesive(the 200lb rated stuff) in the house....women ) anyhow used tape and lead to flatten it all out. there are 3/32" shims under each trailing edge tip for washout, this can be changed later with a little heat but I suspect it will be just right. everything lined up good and now the main wing section is ready for shape sanding. I cut the canards loose temporarily till after the sanding is done. so far so good
Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; May 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking good Joe, don't forget you can still use hardwood for spars, with the CF getting more availible and cheaper folks tend to forget you can still use hardwood and it works very well, I use it on at least 50% of my builds.... Your LHS should have a good supply also, don't know where your located(take a minute to fill in your location on your groups ID, folks appreciate that)... good luck, keep up the build! w.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
oops, thanks for letting me know about that. haven't been a member of a forum for awhile and forgot about filling in the personal info.
I thought about using spruce witch I have, but the light ply was there and it was a coin toss, it seems good and stiff. the second layer on the wing really adds strength all by itself. I almost built it without any spar at all then decided what the hail not that much added weight anyway.
just got off work (swing) the wings and most of the main shaping is done just need to do a little more sanding to finish out the strake blend. after that the rest of the build is a piece-o-cake. hope to glide test by Friday and maiden by Sunday if it quits raining anyway.
Joe
Old May 22, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
all the shaping complete with canards sanded and remounted total time sanding 3hrs. will do more fine sanding after fuselage section is mounted to blend it in.
so far so good!
Joe
Old May 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking really cool Joe!! W
Old May 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
thanks Walt,
ohhoooo now its lookin like a jet! got the fuse framed, planked, and mounted, it keyed perfectly into the wing section. got the ducting on too. all that's left is adding the stabs and shaping the canopy. then test glide time

my oh my

Joe
Old May 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
here we go! all the major build part is complete, ready for glide testing to find the optimum cg. then I can add the power-plant and other components

Joe
Old May 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
674 Posts
congratulations .. is a good job!!!!
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick
Old May 24, 2012, 07:38 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
706 Posts
Looks great Joe...
Fast build as well...good luck on the glide test..
Have you decided on the electronics for your bird....?esc's,servos?
Take care..........chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old May 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
thanks guys,
its actually a fairly simple build, most time consuming part was the sanding to shape and that wasn't too god awful bad.
well the plan was to test glide for cg location this morning before going to work...but it is raining pretty good right now and intermittently gusty...if it stops for just 5mins I can get it flown.....
anyhow, the power system will be:

Detrum 64mm fan combo package from Hobbypartz.

64mm fan
440kv brushless motor (rated thrust is 690grms/24oz.'s...I believe it is accurate as there is quite a surplus of power)
40amp esc
2x 9grm servos (4 come in combo set but I only need 2)
1600mah 3s 20c

this is the third plane I have used these combo packages in and can say they are well worth the $38 bucks. flies my 26" span F-15, and my SU-27 easily with oodles of power to spare. highly recommend them for park jets.
Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; May 24, 2012 at 02:44 PM.