Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:25 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,664 Posts
Discussion
Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 - LATEST Addition to the fleet!

Got back from my business trip and the flying club is now open and running. One of the lads there, Dave Ellis, had a PA Extra 260 he had purchased and built and put about 14 flights on. He was not enjoying the plane, it's more for 3D and he enjoys a faster plane that is more for sport aerobatics / pattern flying. As a result he sold it to me for a very reasonable price.

I had been looking at one of these for some time, wanting to get into 3D flying, but just didn't want to order it and pay the high price of a new one so this worked out great for me! Plopped an AR500 into it that I had bought off another club member who does not fly spectrum and voila, new to me used plane in the fleet.

First impression ... SIMPLY AMAZING! What a super flying plane. No bad tendancies at all. WILDLY slow and stable on the bottom end. Tons of power and verticle, even with the sport prop on it. (I have to get the 3D prop!)

Was incredibly easy to land. What can I say, just a jem. Have even been getting pretty good hovers out of it. Nice flat spins, nice knife edges, nice harriers, walls, etc. Just a beauty of a plane that makes me look like a much better pilot than I am.

Here is a video of the maiden.

Marlin

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 Maiden Flight (8 min 49 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
I don't think it's my imagination. It appears that the rudder and vertical stab are quite a bit taller on your plane than those on the three-year-old 260 I recently wiped out.

I never liked that plane. No matter what I did, it always felt like it was about to get away from me. It was basically unstable and very difficult to work with. I know two other guys who had them and sold them really cheap. They just gave up on them. One was an ace 3D pilot who can fly absolutely anything.

I wonder: Has PA revised the plane with a taller rudder and stab? From the closeups in your video, it looks like they have.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old May 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
I don't think it's my imagination. It appears that the rudder and vertical stab are quite a bit taller on your plane than those on the three-year-old 260 I recently wiped out.

I never liked that plane. No matter what I did, it always felt like it was about to get away from me. It was basically unstable and very difficult to work with. I know two other guys who had them and sold them really cheap. They just gave up on them. One was an ace 3D pilot who can fly absolutely anything.

I wonder: Has PA revised the plane with a taller rudder and stab? From the closeups in your video, it looks like they have.
Interesting ... I have no idea whether they changed it or not. This one was purchased from their US shop last year by the fellow who I bought it from. If you have measurements I could compare them, just out of curiousity.

I would have to say that this plane is VERY stable, and while I am no 3D pilot, as that is what I bought it for, to learn 3D, it is working very well for me. Will try to upload some new video soon.

Take care and happy flying,

Marlin
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,664 Posts
Here is a video of me doing my first serious HOVER practice session. Basically ran 4 lipos through, one after the other, doing nothing but hover attempts, recovery, then another attempt. I think by the end I was getting better. The plane still had on the 14x7 sport prop so it was hard to hit the SWEET spot and if it started to fall backwards the prop would cavitate and not be able to pull out vertically.

Overall though, amazing plane.

Marlin

PA Extra 260 Hover Practice! (9 min 3 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:42 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,664 Posts
More hover practice, but this time with the Vox 13x5 prop, specifically recommended for 3D flying. I found it gave much better control of power setting for hover / harrier. (Have to edit up the harrier practice videos.)

Still lots to learn but getting better.

Marlin

PA Extra 260 - New Prop - Hovers (5 min 59 sec)