HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Discussion
New Hanger 9 Corsair 50!

Well I have been neglecting the BLOG for while so have a couple updates. First off, I got the Hanger 9 Corsair 50 size for Christmas. Over the winter I put it together and went with an electrical setup. All HITECH servos, Turnigy G42 motor, 4c 4000 & 5000 mah lipos and 70A ESC, MAS 13x8x3 prop. Using a Spectrum 6 channel full scale Rx with satelite Rx on my DX6i.

The build was pretty straight forward, though getting the gull wings together at the correct angle was a bit tricky. The molded belly plate was a bit out of shape so it took a lot of hot gun and bending to get it right. Other than those two things everything else was VERY EASY to do. Templates for the electrical motor mounting were great, as was provided mount. (I found the holes for the G42 might be ever so slightly off from the Power 42 from Eflite and required a bit of finessing to get it to fit, but nothing big.)

I got it out for a maiden flight right before leaving town for a 3 week business trip. All went GREAT, it looks amazing in the sky and is very stable, even in some wind. Landing was much easier than I thought it would be. Overall, was VERY impressed with this model.

Marlin

Hanger 9 Corsair 50 - Maiden Only - No Music (9 min 2 sec)
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Nice maiden. Gotta be a good build when you only have a couple of clicks of trim.

Perfect first landing. I also enjoyed your comment just before take off.

Noticed your transmitter antenna orientation was just like mine used to be until I lost a plane due to that orientation. Friend of mine pointed me to this article: http://edrcc.com/?p=281 and suggested I prove it with a range test with the antenna pointed straight at the plane, I did that and it convinced me to move the antenna 90 degrees to the right so it's pointing straight up to the sky instead of over at the horizon.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old May 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Nice maiden. Gotta be a good build when you only have a couple of clicks of trim.

Perfect first landing. I also enjoyed your comment just before take off.

Noticed your transmitter antenna orientation was just like mine used to be until I lost a plane due to that orientation. Friend of mine pointed me to this article: http://edrcc.com/?p=281 and suggested I prove it with a range test with the antenna pointed straight at the plane, I did that and it convinced me to move the antenna 90 degrees to the right so it's pointing straight up to the sky instead of over at the horizon.
Hey, thanks for the compliment, I sure was nervous as it was my FIRST EVER non-foamie plane and I had put quite a bit of work into it over the winter. (Probably the most was to custom paint the pilot who looks amazing, if I say so myself!)

You are most correct, I normally ALWAYS fly with my antenna pointed 90 degrees and flat to the site so that the plane will NEVER be directly in line with the end of the antenna. GOOD CATCH to notice that. I was so worried about the flight I actually forgot to scroll OUT of range check mode on my DX6i. Then forgot to START the timer with the trainer switch on take off. You hear me at one point near the end "START THE TIMER" when the plane was way out to the left over the field. What I actually did was do an IN FLIGHT range check from WAY too far out. Just a blurp and clearly the Tx and Rx never lost contact, but I was more LUCKY than GOOD that flight. Too many nerves.

Love the plane, and with the rotating retracts now it is just AMAZING looking in the sky. Hands down my favourite model to fly, though I always get nervous when I take her up. (Up to about 8 flights now.)

Marlin
Old May 20, 2012, 05:38 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
You certainly didn't look nervous in the sky, it was flown and landed with great confidence. Well done.

Funny how you miss things on a nervous maiden. 8 flights is a great start, here's to many many more.

My longest lasting plane made it to 96 flights before it went in. It's replacement has made nearly 60 flights now and I've got several other models that are well over the 60 count as well. Sure is a great hobby!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old May 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
You certainly didn't look nervous in the sky, it was flown and landed with great confidence. Well done.

Funny how you miss things on a nervous maiden. 8 flights is a great start, here's to many many more.

My longest lasting plane made it to 96 flights before it went in. It's replacement has made nearly 60 flights now and I've got several other models that are well over the 60 count as well. Sure is a great hobby!
Thanks, it was nice after she was in the air and flying, realized the bigger planes actually fly easier, just need to think a bit further ahead with them.

You're right on the great hobby part! I have several of my PZ aircraft (Extra 300, ME 109, Stinson) that have 2 years of flying on them and are flying great. Lost track of how many flights.

Wonderfull, affordable and easy time to get into the hobby.

Had this one out again this morning, couple flights through it, and it flys like a CHAMP! Just love it, even in some pretty solid cross winds.

Marlin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:35 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Demo Video

Just a short demo video of my Corsair 50 from Hanger 9. Great flying bird.

Marlin

Hanger 9 Corsair 50 - Demo Flight - Uneditted (8 min 10 sec)
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Marlin,
First you didn't seem nervous during the maiden flight, at least not like I am. What type camera were you using to film with and helment camera it appears.
I have a request if you could, I bought a second hand damaged Corsair that I think is a Hanger 9 like yours. Could you measure the lenght and diameter of the cowl as mine needs a cowl and don't want to buy the wrong one.

Thanks in advance
Wayne
evarnad is offline Find More Posts by evarnad
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Thanks Wayne, though I will tell you I was VERY nervous. I use a Contour GPS HD Sports Camera (kinda like the GoPro) with a headband mount to shoot all my videos. VERY good quality, though no zoom.

I wish I could help you out on this, but right near the end of the flying season I pulled dumb thumb. Doing a low WOT pass (about 6 feet off the deck) when a fellow club member decided to "form up" with me. Unfortunately he came down from above and I got nervous, thinking he was going to hit me. Tried to coax the plane down a bit more, but obviously inputted too much down ele. Pulled up too late and pancaked it on the runway at 50+ mph. VERY impressive wreckage, completely totaled the plane! I save most the electronics but the airframe went into the garbage in many pieces.

Hope you enjoy yours, I LOVED this plane. (Am thinking about another to be honest!)

Marlin
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Thanks Wayne, though I will tell you I was VERY nervous. I use a Contour GPS HD Sports Camera (kinda like the GoPro) with a headband mount to shoot all my videos. VERY good quality, though no zoom.

I wish I could help you out on this, but right near the end of the flying season I pulled dumb thumb. Doing a low WOT pass (about 6 feet off the deck) when a fellow club member decided to "form up" with me. Unfortunately he came down from above and I got nervous, thinking he was going to hit me. Tried to coax the plane down a bit more, but obviously inputted too much down ele. Pulled up too late and pancaked it on the runway at 50+ mph. VERY impressive wreckage, completely totaled the plane! I save most the electronics but the airframe went into the garbage in many pieces.

Hope you enjoy yours, I LOVED this plane. (Am thinking about another to be honest!)

Marlin
I appreciate your reply and sorry to heard about the Corsair better luck with the next one.
I'll see if I can find another thread about the Hanger 9 Corsair 50.

Thanks
Wayne
evarnad is offline Find More Posts by evarnad