HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,145 Posts
New Product
Acro Wot Mk2 Foam-E

Ordered one of the new Acro Wot Foam-E planes designed by Chris Foss. Was originally due to be released end of May but now they are saying June. I'm getting impatient!

Specifications
Wingspan: 1250mm (49.0")
Length: 1015mm (40.0")
Servos: 4x 9g Servos (Included.)
Radio System: 4-5 Channel
Electric Motor: Brushless (Included.)
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
I feed my planes red bull
Joined Apr 2012
115 Posts
how much was it? was it an ARF or a PNP?
flightmaster909 is offline Find More Posts by flightmaster909
Old May 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
If it is anything like the WOT-4, I bet it is good. We cannot get them here. Looks a bit like the Switch.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmaster909 View Post
how much was it? was it an ARF or a PNP?
When they come into the shops they'll be 135 ($213) for the ARTF and 190 for the RTF with a Futaba Tx. There will also be a Futaba transmitter-ready version for 162.

I flew the glow engine Wot-4 for a while and really liked that, so I'm hoping the quality will be as good.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1 Posts
Looks like most places have the plug n play version in stock, I've just ordered one to go with the foamie wot 4 I got last month.

I'm just getting back into the 'hobby' and loving these new electric toys, went through a few ic wot4's in the past and at least 1 maybe 2 acro wots so can't wait to try out the electric acro as well.

Great gettin back into this game ... Just need the space haha
sandman112 is offline Find More Posts by sandman112
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
I pre-ordered an Acro Wot Foam-E from Kings Lynn models, it arrived today, I am a huge fan of the wot4, and love my Foam-E, but this one has the same issue with ESC/battery installation.

The ESC position seems to have been an afterthought, as mine is just tucked inside the battery hatch, its very awkward to squeeze the battery in past it, and there is then nowhere to put the ESC without either fouling the motor or obscuring the battery hatch ???

Looking inside the moulding, it looks like there is a neat location for the esc under the battery, but the motor/esc wires are nowhere near long enough to get the ESC into that position without keyhole surgery and some extra wire.

On my wot4 due to ESC cooling (I have an early one) I mounted the ESC externally and it looks fine, but this isn't an option with this one - anyone worked out a way to do this ??
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Last edited by jblackmore; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,679 Posts
Hi,

Looks like Tower Hobbies will be carrying these in the United States.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore View Post
The ESC position seems to have been an afterthought, as mine is just tucked inside the battery hatch, its very awkward to squeeze the battery in past it, and there is then nowhere to put the ESC without either fouling the motor or obscuring the battery hatch ???
I bought this plane last Friday, first flight Sunday. The first flight was fine and also the second, except that immediately after landing I lost the bind and the Rx ceased to function. I swapped the Rx and flew again with the same result, loss of bind and non-functioning Rx immediately after landing (wouldn't even taxi back). Neither landing was harsh. Rx worked in another plane and I eventually worked out the ESC was the problem - just connecting the battery for 1 second made it too hot to touch.

Fortunately my LHS replaced the ESC for free, I fitted the new one and everything is perfect now - it's lovely to fly and very responsive.

Locating the ESC is now much easier because it is new, it isn't tied down with cable ties like the old one and I can move it around more. It's still a slightly awkward fit though.
S Lawson is offline Find More Posts by S Lawson
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
Does the new ESC have longer motor wires or have you routed them differently ? Mine are routed under both sides of the metal motor mount, I wonder if I snipped the cable ties unplugged and ran them up the side if this might give more movement for ESC, as it is this is impossible, see better pics attached.

Oh and the stickers are pre-cut and clear backed, much easier to do than the old wot4 ones were (wheels are better/bigger too, and the aileron servo's plug into a proper Y adaptor - the wot4 had one plug crimped onto both servo's which is awkward for connecting to receiver without an extension, and would mean cutting wires to replace a servo - so they've certainly made good improvements), however in my enthusiasm I put both chequered flag stickers on, and was really pleased with how neatly they were on before I realised I put them on the top of the wing, not the bottom - oops - anyway, I worked around it and at least I will be able to tell mine apart at the flying field !!
Last edited by jblackmore; Jun 16, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Diss
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Looking at the above posts it looks like it could have some of the same problems as the Wot 4 Foam-e.
Is there any ventilation in the battery/esc compartment & has anyone weighed it.
I was thinking of getting one to go with my Wot4 Foam-e but not sure now.
Can you get to the motor?.

Regards Fuzzflier
fuzzyflier is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyflier
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:16 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyflier View Post
Is there any ventilation in the battery/esc compartment & has anyone weighed it.
The front side scoops are wide open, so there should be a ton of airflow through the battery compartment, it definitely looks like they have made improvements (its also a hobbywing 40A esc which looks much chunkier than the ESC with my early wot4 foam-e).

Weight, I just weighed mine and its 961g without battery, so with a 2200 30C pack flying weight will be 1151g.

The motor looks like you can unscrew from the front, and it will extract out through the battery hatch will be fiddly to refit (lining up holes) but doesn't look too hard - not as easy as the wot4 foam-e with removing front cowl though as the motor/mount is completely encased in the fuz foam - but looks neater as a result and I guess less parts/moulding so cheaper to manufacture.

If you like the wot4 foam-e you have to get the acro wot foam-e to go with it - don't fight it, its not optional !

Still need to work out ESC position though, I have emailed ripmax to see if they say anything, my guess is the ESC was changed late and has shorter wires than they tested with, I will probably just snip the cable ties holding motor wires to the 2nd motor strut, unplug esc from motor and re-route the wires straight back (will be very fiddly to plug back in using forceps as access is very tight) and try to get the ESC either up side or in the gap below (with hatch up) battery, ideally without cutting any foam out inside.
Last edited by jblackmore; Jun 14, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the updates - got mine two days ago and haven't had a chance to open the box yet!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Diss
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Hi jblackmore

Thank's for the info my Wot4 weighs in at 1170g with battery, but that's with taped hinges and 24g in the tail.
Let us know how you get on with the ESC position, is it a 40amp Hobbyking as standard.

Fuzzyflier
fuzzyflier is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyflier
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:40 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
The ESC which came with mine is not hobbyking (from Ripmax ?? Really?), its a hobbyWING skywalker 40A esc, and looks pretty chunky, just googled and this is a stock picture.

Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore View Post
Does the new ESC have longer motor wires or have you routed them differently ? Mine are routed under both sides of the metal motor mount, I wonder if I snipped the cable ties unplugged and ran them up the side if this might give more movement for ESC, as it is this is impossible, see better pics attached.
I did indeed snip the ties (as we had to remove the old ESC anyway), then re-routed the cabling up the left (as you look from the nose down into the housing) and used the extra length to let me place the ESC down below the battery (above when the plane is right way up). I was a bit concerned what this would do for the cooling but it hasn't got even slightly warm since.

For the avoidance of doubt it flies really well and the wheels seem a lot less wobbly than the Wot4 Foam.
S Lawson is offline Find More Posts by S Lawson