HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbilbo91z9f View Post
I've been building planes for 30 years+++ and I've been reading this thread for a few weeks. I have also assembled a TopModel kit before and can understand your dismay, but feel you must be in over your head with the build. I don't want to sound unsympathetic to your plight, but THROW THE JIG AWAY!!!!!! It's not that big a deal.......You don't need it and can build the kit without it.........
I know now...!

Quote:

#1) I fully agree with Glen from post #3. The TopModel people assume that you have enough experience to assemble the ARF with little-to-no instructions. The instructions they supply are little more than pictures and dimensions anyway and you take it from there. Most kits can be built in different formats; servo locations, wing joiners, battery trays, LE angles, etc.......... The instructions are only a "Suggested" way to put the kit together. Depending on your intended usage, you might want to do things differently.

#2) The kits (ARF's) that they sell are not listed for beginners. You need to have enough building experience to be able to make critical decisions for yourself. As in your case, if the pitch was the wrong way - DON'T DO IT!!!! Ask the manufacturer or ask here on RC Groups. There is always someone willing to help.
I am not a begginer in building ARFs, but couldn't imagine it was so diffferent with a sailplane. As for asking about what it was profoundly wrong, it was totally my fault. I just thought that a company like that, knows what they produce and if they build it this way, then i might miss something. (No experience on sailplanes)

Quote:

#3) Understand your project completely "BEFORE" you start. If you have a problem or didn't understand something, ask the questions before starting to cut or drill something wrong. It's a lot harder to fix after.
I read the manual many many times before starting, while waiting for it to come, noting on the manual etc, but with that so little instructions couldn't do better.

Experience is based on wrong decisions, almost wrong decisions and correct by mistake decisions. So i guess i get mine through the wrong decisions, which at least turns out to be of no big deal as the problem is already fixed and the plane is flying wonderfully.

Thanks for all the directions given, i ll make my way through it. Actully i am used on assembling Helis, which have gr8 manuals and nothing is left in good or bad decisions. Of course they need their experience also.

Thanks again
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
Can you show us a few pictures of your current situation? Nose on - right side - top?
How did you fix the motormount? I've had screwups in the past and just dremmeled out the motormount, made a new one and glued it back in. This time the right way (ok, so one time I glued it back in wrong again. But nobody saw it so it doesn't count...)
I ll get you pics, as soon as i can. As for the mount, i didn't changed anything after realising tha i cut it wrong ways. I just fit the motor, puting some shims, making the motor to point to the correct direction. when you see the photo, you ll see that there is more gap an the left side than it is on the right.
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old May 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
213 Posts
I am so glad that the plane is flying Okay. Enjoy It.

Paul M.
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f