SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Build Log
DHC-2 Beaver - Foam and Balsa

OK.... been building for a while now (since Jan 2012) mainly evenings after work and studies for an hour or two so the going is pretty slow. One of the most daunting factors is building up on the tools, materials and techniques to do this stuff. Most you see and learn on this website but it really does take a lot of time, practice, skill and money to take on a scale project

Many thanks to the other builders: J Morgan; demonGti and Sparks to name a few, here who have really inspired and taught via this wonderful thing we call the internet, and of course RCGROUPS.COM.

I started off with my sketchup drawings to get a feel for the plane and be able to print the parts for cutting and shaping. (Access to a lasercutter would be great for the plywood bits!) Wingspan is 2000mm or 78.7 inches. AUW?? ..... no idea at this stage. I am guessing it will fly well on about 1000watts or a .46 equivalent. I will have to consult with the guru..... demonGti.
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Last edited by darook; May 19, 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: more detail
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
More details on the wings
Old May 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Fuselage

Put the fuselage and tailfeathers together. Front section of fuselage is 3mm liteply for strength because of the carbon spar running through the top. The wings are giong to be removable so the upper part of the canopy area needs to be pretty robust. I believe the same may hold true for the lower part because the we all know how the landing gear areas take a beating.

The elevator servo is in place and the pushrod routed. I need the horizontal stab in place so I can route to the rudder.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
North Island of New Zealand
Joined Jan 2009
104 Posts
Looking very good. Will continue to watch with great interest
AirspeedNZ is offline Find More Posts by AirspeedNZ
Old May 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks Airspeed.....
Old May 20, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Trying to get canopy area right, going to need a bit of work here. Shaped a filler for the dash bit and carved some foam out to get it in. Chopped the windows out too..... makes a big difference.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
More work on the fus. 2mm balsa Sheeting and also the balsa leading edge are glued in place.

I want to start work on the landing gear but want to do a little more work than usual here. Not sure if the scale of the model will work with the added weight and details. I first got the idea when looking at supercubman's awesome DHC-2 build over here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...503908&page=11

I intend using the same kind of setup except maybe using 60mm long 1/10 rc buggy dampers for suspension.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,031 Posts
Excellent D!
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old May 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
alanstraw
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Absolutely awesome!
alanstraw is offline Find More Posts by alanstraw
Old May 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks Guys!

Sanded the leading edge support and added more sheeting to canopy area. Its a tricky part and methinks I got it all wrong because its got that weird section where flat and square goes into round .... maybe I can fix it or maybe for a next version. Maybe get the glass etc to hide it a bit.

I could not resist fitting the wings in place. I think this was the most nerve wracking part of the build... getting everything square and at the right angle with dihedral etc etc.... I did sweat a lot over this. I think next time I will build the centre section as part of the removable wing. THat way I can do it all on a bench and make sure everything is aligned before it gets glued and sets. Then all you have to align is one wing and one fus....
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Have finally got back to doing a bit of work ..... flaps!

Wanted fowler flaps so I went for the next best option with offset hinges. Problem is I need balsa where I insert the robarts or I think the hinges may just pull straight out. Mental note..... remember the balsa support blocks before sheeting.... uuurr.
Last edited by darook; Jun 07, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:40 AM
alanstraw
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Really looking stunning!
alanstraw is offline Find More Posts by alanstraw
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks Alan.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Spent the evening inserting balsa reinforcement blocks for the robart hinges..... PITA ...