Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Owner Billet Works Designs
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
New Product
Billet Works Designs TR1 Tricopter Airframe

I've been developing/manufacturing hobby products on some level for nearly ten years now...some of you may have even owned my DNA outrunner mounts for wings from '06. Anyway, for the last several years my focus has been the Rock Crawling market (my products have sold under the names Visionary Fabrication, DNA R/C Products, and now Billet Works Designs), but I recently decided it was time to take some of my multi rotor ideas to the CNC and broaden my product line. I've got a lot of stuff in the design phase for multi rotor's, but wanted to start with a fresh Tricopter frame...simply because they are fun to fly. That said, I wanted to take a different approach on it.

The 4 main frame components and the tail motor plate are machined from 1/8" G10. I machined the skids, canopy, and tail motor pivot components from delrin. The tail motor pivots on a 1/4" delrin shaft (with the ends turned down to 5mm) riding on a pair of 5x11mm bearings from fast eddy for smooth motion. It's all tied together with stainless hardware.

For components on the prototype, I went with:

HK V2.1 board (reflashed with lazyzero tri) - I have a pair of Quadrinos I picked up from Witespy, one of which will end up on a frame like this with some nicer motors, but wanted to hit some cool factor on a budget with the proto.
HK power dist board
18a Plushes
Orange Rx
HK Male/Male connectors
HK 2 and 3.5mm bullet connectors
HK T type connectors
Suppo 2208 outrunners with 8" props (from Witespy)
Hitec HS85MG with 1" Hangar 9 arm
2x Traxxas Revo rod ends
Gens Ace 2200 3s 30c packs

All up weight RTF with 2200 30c 3s came in at 31 ounces.

It's being controlled by a DX7

This thing has progressed very fast this past week. I went from having some rough CAD pulled together prior to this last Sunday, to finalizing CAD, writing CNC programs, cutting parts, assembling the airframe, and getting my good friend Chris Moon to run the sticks on her maiden while I ran the cameras on Thursday....and most of that work had to be done after hours. I had no time/forgot to balance props before hand, so Chris was a real trooper putting her in the air and performing.

Anyway, enough of my book for now...on to some pics.

Also, here's a link to the video I shot of Chris flying it on Thursday evening.

Tricopter - TR1 Prototype by Billet Works Designs (3 min 0 sec)

Any of you NTX guys are always to come by the shop and check it out in person...maybe we can do some flying together as well

Don
Billet Works is offline Find More Posts by Billet Works
Last edited by Billet Works; Jun 05, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Don, keeping up the fine work as usual I've been using your crawler parts for years...looks like I'll be flying your multirotors as well

I'm actually in the market for a new unique tri copter...let me know when your ready for a production run I'll post up in the RCC thread as well.

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old May 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,944 Posts
John just told me about these. Looks like a neat little tricopter. Any idea of pricing yet?...probably still to early in the game, but it do like the looks. What's size is this...from center frame to prop shaft.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
OK, I'll want one of these.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old May 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
809 Posts
Looking good. Refreshing to see an aberation from the omnipresent quads.
What is the frame weight and motor2motor span?
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old May 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Don, keeping up the fine work as usual I've been using your crawler parts for years...looks like I'll be flying your multirotors as well

I'm actually in the market for a new unique tri copter...let me know when your ready for a production run I'll post up in the RCC thread as well.

John
Thanks buddy, I knew some of my crawler buddies were into multi rotors. I'm not sure how unique it is...but I was going for different when I developed this lil guy. I'm actually doing a lighter weight small version of this as well as a large 480 motor size one. At this point, the only tweaking I've done has been electronic wise. I've found no reason to tweak on the air frame or tilt system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
John just told me about these. Looks like a neat little tricopter. Any idea of pricing yet?...probably still to early in the game, but it do like the looks. What's size is this...from center frame to prop shaft.
Thanks very much. Pricing should be pretty much set this week. Prop shafts are 16" on center on this one, I am doing a bigger and smaller version as well tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
OK, I'll want one of these.
I was hoping it would interest at least a few folks. I developed it for myself out of personal desire for a different tri, but since makin hobby products is what I do for a living, I figured I'd see what interest may exist. I know one dealer, is already discussing bringing this platform into their inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
Looking good. Refreshing to see an aberation from the omnipresent quads.
What is the frame weight and motor2motor span?
Thanks very much, it's the exact reason I designed and put this together.

I'm making some kits this week and will bolt one together for naked pics and overall stripped airframe weight...and will post them here. That said, fully rtf as in the pics and video, with a big gens ace 2200 30c 3s on board all up weight came to 31 ounces. I'm sure a few ounces could be easily trimmed...but she ready feels nice and light in the air with these lil 2208's on board. Motor shaft to shaft is 16".

Don
Old May 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,269 Posts
I hope too see a couple of these too.

Good work
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old May 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
I hope too see a couple of these too.

Good work
I'm planning to at least make one up for ya to check out this week

Thanks
Old May 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet Works View Post
Thanks very much. Pricing should be pretty much set this week. Prop shafts are 16" on center on this one, I am doing a bigger and smaller version as well tho.
Thanks Don. I'd be most interested in a larger version. I'm into FPVing and a tricopter seems to make a great platform. A frame large enough to handle a GoPro and associate equipment would be most most most interesting. I'd be glad to beta test a larger frame for you!!!!
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Awesome flying Tri.. It is only going to get better
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old May 22, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'm New
Joined Mar 2012
714 Posts
That looks nice. I like the frame and would love to see a larger version.
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old May 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
So no new info is missed I'm linking the thread on RCC... I can't wait to get the smaller one

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...tricopter.html
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old May 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Well, we went back out to shoot the next video yesterday evening...here ya go!

Tricopter - Round 2 - TR1 Prototype by Billet Works Designs (4 min 28 sec)

Don
Old May 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
I'm New
Joined Mar 2012
714 Posts
I might have to drop by since you're on pioneer
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old May 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004