Old May 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
Discussion
So let me get this straight

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GI9L420120518

Republicans VETO Obama's defense budget cuts? Pentagon says they don't want the extra money, but they're getting it anyhow?

One explanation: Sweetheart deals...and we pay for it. And it ain't Obama's fault-HE was the one who wanted the cuts!
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old May 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Let's be a bit more clear on using the word "Republican"...

Quote:
The House, in a 299-120 vote on its annual defense policy bill, also affirmed that the president has the power to indefinitely detain suspected terrorists arrested in the United States and transfer them to military custody.
See my point?
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
299-120 ... seems like a lot of dems walked over.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old May 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
He was still trying to cut. This isn't the first time in the last few decades the Pentagon said they don't need/want the money, either.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
He was still trying to cut. This isn't the first time in the last few decades the Pentagon said they don't need/want the money, either.
that is true ... of that I do not dispute. What I do dispute is characterizing this as a "republican" thing what it was pass with bipartisan support in the House.

And the "veto" wasn't from Congress ... Congress was passing a bill inspite of Obama's veto threat.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:15 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
So a bill passed by a Republican lead congress, which came out of a committee lead (and passed) by Republicans, and with the majority of votes for it being Republican, is not Republican?

That's some amazingly thin shaving going on.

Oh lookie. The Speaker of the House even issued a press release supporting it.

And lets not forget that this very same Speaker is going to complain that it is the Democrats who are spending all the money.

The reality is this was a bill put together with the intention of allowing Republicans to beat their breasts at photo ops supporting their reelection campaigns. No doubt several Democrats (at least the ones who didn't vote for it) will use the same bill (with the opposite spin) for their reelection campaigns.

And you and I will get to pick up the tab.

But you are fooling yourself if you think this wasn't put together by the Republican leadership.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old May 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
The Republicans talk a good game but boy do they spend a lot of money.

Reagan ran us in to debt and raised taxes.

Bush Sr. told us to read his lips and then raised taxes and ran us in to debt.

Bush Jr. took a $5 trillion dollar surplus and left us with $15 trillion in debt.

Why do we trust these guys with the checkbook?
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old May 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post
The Republicans talk a good game but boy do they spend a lot of money.

Reagan ran us in to debt and raised taxes.

Bush Sr. told us to read his lips and then raised taxes and ran us in to debt.

Bush Jr. took a $5 trillion dollar surplus and left us with $15 trillion in debt.

On this I cannot disagree. Republicans are just as guilty/bad as the Democrats for being big government and big spending.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
Ultimately what this tells us is who REALLY intends to cut and how likely it is cuts will happen.

Show of hands here; who didn't know you were really voting for Boeing/Lockheed/McDonnell/General Dynamics?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post

Oh, didn't you hear, they're the one who are supposed to save us from ourselves.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old May 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Oh, didn't you hear, they're the one who are supposed to save us from ourselves.
You just described ALL of government. And yet there continues to be support from both sides for larger controll by the government.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GI9L420120518

Republicans VETO Obama's defense budget cuts?
One explanation: Sweetheart deals...and we pay for it. And it ain't Obama's fault-HE was the one who wanted the cuts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
299-120 ... seems like a lot of dems walked over.
Quote:
Why do you find it necessary to make things up to prove a point that you also made up?

1. It wasn't "Republicans". It was a rare bi-partisan vote that included lots and lots from both sides.

2. Your "One explanation" is YOUR explanation that has no basis in fact, and you offer no real evidence of your vacuous accusation.

3. The Pentagon has many Obama appointees within it, and it is that set of Obama lackies who echo Obama's silly talk. When a grown up who better understands "national security" as called out in the Constitution (a document ignored by Obama) takes over in November, these important decisions will turn on a dime, just like they turned on a dime in '08 when the False One was voted in so that this country could finally put the last nail in the coffin and prove that it wasn't a "racist" nation.
Now it's time to vote smart and get rid of the False One.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Not watchin from the sideline
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
They've been debating this for the past week now. I watched alot of it live on c-span itself; here are a couple of the wrap-ups I could find online.

House Session 2012-05-16 (18:25:52-19:30:01) (1 hr 4 min 10 sec)

House Session 2012-05-16 (14:19:59-15:20:58) (1 hr 0 min 17 sec)

House Session 2012-05-17 (17:09:12-18:13:19) (1 hr 4 min 8 sec)

House Session 2012-05-18 (12:07:33-13:08:57) (1 hr 1 min 25 sec)
Yeaman is offline Find More Posts by Yeaman
Old May 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Why do you find it necessary to make things up to prove a point that you also made up?

1. It wasn't "Republicans". It was a rare bi-partisan vote that included lots and lots from both sides.

2. Your "One explanation" is YOUR explanation that has no basis in fact, and you offer no real evidence of your vacuous accusation.

3. The Pentagon has many Obama appointees within it, and it is that set of Obama lackies who echo Obama's silly talk. When a grown up who better understands "national security" as called out in the Constitution (a document ignored by Obama) takes over in November, these important decisions will turn on a dime, just like they turned on a dime in '08 when the False One was voted in so that this country could finally put the last nail in the coffin and prove that it wasn't a "racist" nation.
Now it's time to vote smart and get rid of the False One.
Fine...and you think anyone else is not gonna do sweetheart deals and porkbarrel spending?
Old May 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Fine...and you think anyone else is not gonna do sweetheart deals and porkbarrel spending?
oh, they all do ... so why even bothering saying it's "republican" thing or a "democrat" thing? Because let's be honest ... it's a Government thing.