Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:46 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,315 Posts
I'll have to weigh it. Last time I had a sports tube and a wooden box made over there which had my D60, D80, 4m Exploder, Noodle, D40, reaper, Atomic wedgee, half bad and something else. As long as it all weighs less than 32kg I think it is.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,167 Posts
My box weighed 5.5kg empty. Weighed 23.8kg fully packed with K100, D60, Windburner, RT30, RT28, Stobel, Falcon Radar, Transmitter and plenty of bubble wrap. Max you can take on most airlines is 32kg with an extra cost incurred.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Thanks Alex. I am looking at using an aluminum composite but weight of the sample was 6kg a square meter and estimated box weight was 19.5kg.

I have spoken to my father inlaw and hope to get the lighter 3mm sheet dropping the weight to 2-3Kg and a box weight no greater than 10kg
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,473 Posts
In the USA trip planning thread I did a build log of my coreflute box, which did a great job. I couldn't get a wooden box down to the weight of the 5mm coreflute. All you need is a couple of big sheets of coreflute, a few "peel" rivets, and some 3M Super 77. You do need to make the box double walled as one layer of coreflute is too bendy on its own. Mine was double layered 5mm, and I think that was perfect for a 2.1m long box (to fit a one piece 2M wing) but I wonder how it would go with double layer 3mm for a shorter box ... probably fine if you used some reinforcements along the long corners.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post20861120

And there are more updates on the following pages ... just search the thread for "coreflute".

Remember your box needs to be stiff enough for someone to drop it on a rail or be perched on a trolley bar, without crushing into the box.

Even after using extra reinforcements etc, the final weight, fully set up and reinforced of this 2100 x 370 x 370mm box was was 7.1kg. Qantas have a weight limit of 23kg for included baggage, but for an extra $55 you can get "overweight" allowed up to an absolute max of 32kg. You cannot take an item over 32kg at all. Usually they allow 2 items of included baggage but if you're like me and have a suitcase, a big tool box and a glider box, you can pay $150 for an extra item (or $105 I think if you pay it online during the week before the trip). When I went to the US, the $105 covered the extra baggage for both legs of the trip.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Jul 09, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Thanks Andrew,

A 3rd option I was planning was an alumimum frame with coreflute walls.
lined with foam. I am flying Jetstar and have a 40Kg limit that include no single item over 32Kg and no londer than 1.9m
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
I might not be very international but I am so keen for this. What date is it kicking off?
ReaperRob is offline Find More Posts by ReaperRob
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,167 Posts
Joe Manor is here very beginning of Dec, I think Asto from Aus is here beginning on Dec too, and a larger contingent of Aussies are invading on the 6th of Dec I think. I haven't sorted when i will be taking time off yet
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:18 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Awesome, I have a good friend down there. Glenn and I will make the mission and pack a ton of birds. I will see if they have space to put anyone else up. We will rent a car down there so can do some running around as needed.
ReaperRob is offline Find More Posts by ReaperRob
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,315 Posts
I'm there from the 3rd to the 20th. Got a house booked and a 4wd. There are 4 of us in the house so far. I've been talking to Chris Daboz and he may even make the trip with Billy.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,167 Posts
He damn well better! He said he would (yes you did Chris!)

HAHA

We need someone to give us a hard time lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:22 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,167 Posts
So some of the local NZ guys here are slowly coming out of the woodwork for this event.

A local guy said he can put up a couple of people if they need accommodation. My Father also said he can put up a few too.

Sing out if you need any help or advice or directions.

My airport taxi service will be at the ready for all flying into Christchurch
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Looking forward to it Alex, just got my reverb from HK so list so far will include

2 foam wings (Bat and Tipan)
Samurai
2m Omega (molded hotliner LMR)
Reverb (fully moulded)
Speedo (unbuilt)

Also have AVBs faser fuse I would like a wing for but time will tell if this project off the ground.

Still to get out and ds but what better way to learn than in NZ with some of the best.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:16 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,273 Posts
Hey mick, leave your fazer alone and build yourself a really nice JW, wait make it two- heavy and light and use them and your other foamies for ds and keep the rest for the front or till youre really confident. You will have a ball with a JW!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:16 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,167 Posts
Haha fantastic, I love your enthusiasm!

I agree, no better place to learn than here. Well actually Weldon would be my pick of best place to learn DS but that cost a LOT more to get there
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey mick, leave your fazer alone and build yourself a really nice JW, wait make it two- heavy and light and use them and your other foamies for ds and keep the rest for the front or till youre really confident. You will have a ball with a JW!
JW would be a good move but can't justify another foamy. Maybe an old d60 with 2 or 3 layers of sock and ampreg wing would be a good trainer. The faser would be purely frontside