HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Just wanting to know from those who recently travelled to the US if they had Lipo batteries and what is required for packaging etc to ensure once I get to NZ I have planes I can fly
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,490 Posts
I had a big LiPo battery. I just made sure it only had 20% charge, insulated the connectors from each other and wrapped it in bubble wrap.

Not sure if it was legal, but was safe
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,604 Posts
I was flying on a mine charter flight a little while ago where the actual battery regulation was posted for everyone to read. You were limited to a certain kWh capacity which I can't remember. But I vaguely remember working out it was the equivalent of 2 batteries of 5000mAh 3S. (12kWh?)
Try looking on the CASA website.
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old May 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,490 Posts
Best way is to find correct legislation for anything you are concerned about, print it off so you have it on hand, and if you encounter any problems, thrust it into their face =)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
895 Posts
Count me in a this stage.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old May 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,490 Posts
SWEET! SO glad to see the support for this idea!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
I AM THERE.......wed 5th of December to the 12th

Initial planning is done but would like to hear from others befor booking accomodation and transport.

So far I have found the cheapest flight from Melbourne (Tullamarine) to Christchurch with JETSTAR @ AU$375 with 35KG of checked baggage

Campervan range from $50 - $250 a day for 2 - 5 berth
Old May 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,403 Posts
Ill be coming too hopefully but will just plan around everyone else and my workload at the time. Should be unreal!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 31, 2012, 11:25 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
I was out at one of the possible sites today so took a couple of photos. Just with my phone I'm afraid so apologies for the quality.

The hill in the photo is actually a long ridge that faces directly to the northwest, where our strong winds come from. It has unobstructed flow from upwind over the lake, and the backside is the same sort of steepness as the frontside. There's easy road access to the bottom and a 4WD track to the top.

This is about 15 minutes drive from Tekapo township.

Yeah, I know, living here is tough!

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:29 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,490 Posts
Cool man! Didn't get down there last week, will try do so on Tuesday as there is NW forecast
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:38 AM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Actually planning to be out there again tuesday myself, work related though so won't be able to hang around.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:41 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,490 Posts
What time you heading there? You could inform me on the conditions lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Should be there by 1000 or so but if the wind's up I'll know at home so I can txt you before then. Swing by work later on if you like, we've got full contours on our GIS mapping system at work, can use it to scout some locations.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:37 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Transporting batteries

Details for carriage of Dangerous Goods are officially documented in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations 52nd edition 2011. I don't have easy access to a copy of it right now but I found this useful document on the IATA website:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...-2012-V1.1.pdf

Page 10 states that you must carry spare Lithium Ion (or polymer) batteries in your carry on luggage. The 100 Wh rating limit of batteries is way above anything we're likely to carry. Batteries must be separated (eg. Individually wrapped in bubble wrap) and have any exposed terminals taped, for obvious reasons.

Page 11 defines Lithium Polymer batteries as a type of Lithium Ion battery.

Page 12 shows how to work out how many Wh's your Lithium battery is rated at.

I'm not sure what is required for carrying spare NiMh batteries but as a precaution I travel with those in my carry on luggage with the same provisions as for LiPo, just to be sure.

Expect to have your bag searched and swabbed at security. Many security staff don't know the finer details of IATA DG regs so the earlier suggestion of printing off these regs could be helpful. I had my bag totally emptied at Heathrow recently because i had four 2,000MAh NiMh with me. The guy had to call the supervisor because he wasn't sure what to do. If i had a copy of the regs i could have politely shown them to him and maybe have reduced the amount of hassle and delay. Regular folk have no idea about RC equipment and we all know that security treat us as guilty unless proven innocent. Expect hassle!

Oh, and don't bring any fruit, honey, or any other organic product to NZ. They'll only bin it and if you forget to declare it after your tiresome journey accross the world, they will fine you. They take protecting NZ agriculture very seriously. Same applies to Australia I think. I completely forgot about two apples that worked their way down inside my bag during a trip from England to NZ. Because I didn't declare them they fined me $200! No amount of apology or explanation helped get me out of that one.
Hot Air is offline Find More Posts by Hot Air
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Air View Post
Details for carriage of Dangerous Goods are officially documented in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations 52nd edition 2011. I don't have easy access to a copy of it right now but I found this useful document on the IATA website:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...-2012-V1.1.pdf

Page 10 states that you must carry spare Lithium Ion (or polymer) batteries in your carry on luggage. The 100 Wh rating limit of batteries is way above anything we're likely to carry. Batteries must be separated (eg. Individually wrapped in bubble wrap) and have any exposed terminals taped, for obvious reasons.

Page 11 defines Lithium Polymer batteries as a type of Lithium Ion battery.

Page 12 shows how to work out how many Wh's your Lithium battery is rated at.

I'm not sure what is required for carrying spare NiMh batteries but as a precaution I travel with those in my carry on luggage with the same provisions as for LiPo, just to be sure.

Expect to have your bag searched and swabbed at security. Many security staff don't know the finer details of IATA DG regs so the earlier suggestion of printing off these regs could be helpful. I had my bag totally emptied at Heathrow recently because i had four 2,000MAh NiMh with me. The guy had to call the supervisor because he wasn't sure what to do. If i had a copy of the regs i could have politely shown them to him and maybe have reduced the amount of hassle and delay. Regular folk have no idea about RC equipment and we all know that security treat us as guilty unless proven innocent. Expect hassle!

Oh, and don't bring any fruit, honey, or any other organic product to NZ. They'll only bin it and if you forget to declare it after your tiresome journey accross the world, they will fine you. They take protecting NZ agriculture very seriously. Same applies to Australia I think. I completely forgot about two apples that worked their way down inside my bag during a trip from England to NZ. Because I didn't declare them they fined me $200! No amount of apology or explanation helped get me out of that one.
Thanks I will take a look later though one of the flying wings has 2 lipos taped in the wing a pain if I need to remove them