SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,045 Posts
Asto, where did you put your Tx batteries? Did you take them out or just disconnect them?
I have put my Tx case into the suitcase. It will go into the cargo. rx batteries I left in their models disconnected.
I wrote to air NZ about the batteries, they just sent me a general dangerous goods guide. According to that I should be able to to take it in the cabin instead of putting it in the luggage. Or is it only meant for lithium batteries over 100Wh?
Or does any of you understand that different?
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNut45 View Post
Asto, where did you put your Tx batteries? Did you take them out or just disconnect them?
I have put my Tx case into the suitcase. It will go into the cargo. rx batteries I left in their models disconnected.
I wrote to air NZ about the batteries, they just sent me a general dangerous goods guide. According to that I should be able to to take it in the cabin instead of putting it in the luggage. Or is it only meant for lithium batteries over 100Wh?
Or does any of you understand that different?
I left them in the planes and were sent through no problems. I wouldn't carry them in carry on. Unplug them if you can.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
This was a previous post in relation to lipos from Jetsate/Qantas

Basicly Lipos must be in carry on with terminal taped and in zip lock bags to prevent shorting

Because the batteries are not greater than 100 Watt Hours you do not require any pre-approval from the airline (this just means that if you have very large batteries you need airline approval)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
I recently sent an email to the Dangerous Goods Operations & Compliance section of Qantas in relation to the trip as I wanted confirmation in relation to the transportation of Lithium batteries for 2 electric gliders

I had said the batteries are likely to be installed(disconnected with terminals taped) inside gliders but could be removed if required and taken in carryon baggage as I thought given the nature of the batteries we use I may have had issues with security.

I also supplied a picture of one of the batteries

This is the reply;

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your email. My suggestion would be to remove the batteries and take them as carry-on baggage. The batteries need to be protected from short circuit by place tape over the terminals or by placing each battery in a separate plastic zip lock sandwich bag. Because the batteries are not greater than 100 Watt Hours you do not require any pre-approval from the airline.

The new dangerous goods requirements from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) which is part of the United Nations states that all spare batteries must be taken as carry-on baggage only. Unfortunately if the batteries are disconnected they are considered as "spares" and must be taken as carry-on. I understand that what you proposed is a safe option but unfortunately it doesn't meet the regulations and I would hate for you to have any issues when checking in etc.

I hope this information helps but please feel free to call or email me if you require any further help.

Cheers

Trev

Trevor Amos
Dangerous Goods Operations & Compliance

Qantas Airlines Safety | Qantas Airways Limited
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
559 Posts
Car packed. I am ready to go!!!
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Planes packed, carry on packed just need clothes, leaving in about 7 hours and arrive at 5am.

Hope I've pack everything I need.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Well cloth are now packed too.

After packing the suit case and weighing it I have thrown clothes into a large backpack leaving me about 5kg free.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:58 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,315 Posts
We had a good fly today at wainui ridge, which is a massive site! Conditions changed all day, from no wind, to wind with cloud cover and then some really good wind for a while. we all got lots of flying in, I got 163 with the old scorcher, Asto got 167 with the light burner and 143 with the d40. Dad and I are so stuffed now, as we have had 1 hour sleep in the last two days or so, In fact i dont even know what day it is!
Cheers
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:34 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,231 Posts
All packed and ready for a early start, glad Garath has a big van, taking more stuff than Manilla.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
All packed too. Lucky I don't have to take anything extra for the work I'm doing down there otherwise we would be low on space. Ill see Dave just before 5am, then Jono at the ferry at 7. Then around 9 hours later we'll be in Christchurch. Have packed just about everything I could possibly need, even the pc and espresso machine!
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:33 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,579 Posts
If you'd mentioned the expresso machine earlier you would have had Andrew there as well.

ps I'm green with envy and watching closely.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Currently at the gate waiting to board in 90min
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:29 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
Yep. Espresso machine ... making me more envious than before. Hey you could get a small generator too, to keep the supply up on the hills. "Cafe DS"
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:39 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
559 Posts
We are on the ferry. The journey has started
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,231 Posts