SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:15 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
I have Wed-Friday off work this week so I can help with arrivals etc and also head up Flying and help with test flights and set-ups etc. I work Sunday Night as it is time and a Half.

I am on night shift next week, so am free in the day, but can take leave for a half night here and there if the weather is great for flying, in which case I would start at 8:15pm
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:36 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
I will be selling some models at the DS fest;

LEG Le-Fish Bind N Fly for FrSky. 66" Aerobatic Slope and acro DS foamie. LiFe flight pack and MG digital servos
Le Fish DS Acro (6 min 29 sec)

Le Fish DS Acro 2 (5 min 6 sec)

Jazz 48 DS. Proven to 149mph. Now lam filmed, Add rx to fly. 6V 1100Mah battery and hitec servos
Tekapo DS day 1 (6 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,326 Posts
I just finished work (shrink rapped and packed a bin of continental cucumbers plus 80 boxes of leb cues too,) washed the van.Now I've got half an hour left to have a shower and load up the trungee and head off to the airport.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
Haha awesome! See you soon mate
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,506 Posts
Go Asto......burn up the sky's mate. Have fun.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
The wind's gonna be HONKIN' at Wainui on Friday! And I'll be at my son's year-4 school camp... a dad's gotta do what a dad's gotta do. Remember the sunscreen you guys from the hot climates. Just because it's cooler doesn't mean you won't get sunburned. I got nailed at Wainui last time cos I was having so much fun I forgot to put on my hat. See you guys on Sunday, wherever it's at.

Richard
Sailplane Nut is offline Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:26 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
Hey, I maidened my new Scorcher on the front side today in about 25-30 knots. I was worried that I had cut the ailerons too small for good low speed handling so I was pretty nervous. I gave it a big hoik and it did a bit of a grass skim and then off into the lift, and the ailerons were more than responsive enough. I have tripple rates and I think I'll shuffle them all down one step, with a super low one for high speed. Everything else was copied off my other heavy one so felt pretty familiar (I probably have a total of ten minutes front side with that one so a bit hard to tell really!) Flaps are dialled in so I will have more confidence in landing too. Total weight is about 4kg, where my heavy glass one is 3.5kg with lots of tip weight. All the weight is in the wing with this one so I went without tip weight. If I feel I need it I can put some in while in NZ. I think it could be up to 5kg and still get some use at our sites.
I also did a practice pack of the box and it all looks like it will fit, though I need to put some sort of frame in for the wheels so they dont collapse. Ive got all day tomorrow to get all the stuff together, then Dad and I are off at about midnight tomorrow.
See you guys in a couple of days!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:01 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
585 Posts
Got a final decision on what to take, all packed and ready to go:
Ellipse
Typhoon
Minivec
Destiny
Windburner
Zipper
AFP60
Bee
JW
Raven/AFP hybrid
Scorpion
Fusion (always need a Fusion even if it is not a good DS’er)
Bat
Alula

That should just about do it. Now the pile of spares, tools, glue etc, seems to getting alarmingly big. I hope everything fits in

For the first time in a couple of months, it looks like I just might be ready in time

See you all on Friday
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:08 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,586 Posts
Excellent work Josh! Good on you for getting out and maidening it. I know that everyone says more weight, but I think you'll be happy at 4kg. The DSX feels fabulous at 4.5kg, and doesn't really seem to go faster with more weight, in most of the conditions I've flown it in. But I think if you get a wild 60kt+ day, you'd want more weight to really get warp speed with good handling. Do you have a ballast tube? Or a way of bolting more weight into the fuz?

I had wheels on my first boxes but gave up on them with the recent NZ one. They tend to hang up on stuff, take up weight, and usually I perch the box on a trolley, bridged across my tall suitcase and over the trolley handle. It's easy to manoeuvre it through the queues on a trolley. And if necessary for short distances I just drag it.

I really hope you guys have a great, great time. I wish I was going. I do feel a small lump in my chest knowing you guys are headed over and I'm not! It's another world over there and I hope Hughie turns on the best weather for you.

Richard I know what you're talking about ... the sun over there is quite intense even when it's cold. I've never seen my transitions sunnies go as black as they did on those NZ hills.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
Thanks Andrew. I think the only way I could put weight in it is with lead shot in the tips and by pouring it permanently into the belly- which is not so crazy as I can just have two fuses for it. There is just not enough room for a ballast tube, or at least one that would make any difference. I think tip weight makes more difference anyway, so Ill go that way if I need to, but most likely when I get home. I had originally thought of filling up the d boxes but there is barely any space up in there because of the big spar. We shall see!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:48 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,244 Posts
A few days to go, models are in the box, tools etc still to pack, bring on friday. Will be great to meet everyone.
pope is online now Find More Posts by pope
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:34 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
Josh, it will do 300 at the weight it is at. About to head off to pick up Asto!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
It's all sounding good, great to hear you got to maiden the scorcher Josh

See you all on Friday morning
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:06 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
Just got home from picking up Asto and getting him safely to his new dwelling for the next week and a bit.

A pic to prove he is here (just in case you think it is all a big hoax...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:11 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
Argh! Just checked forecast, looks like Friday could be a write off.. RAIN!!
RCG Plus Member