SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
You guys are worrying about stuff too much. Don't put anything like tools (that could possibly be seen as weapons) or weird electronics like radar guns and transmitters (that could look suspiciously like terrorist stuff) in your carry-on. The suitcase is a great place for transmitters, fragile V-tails, etc because you can wrap these things up in huge amounts of clothing to protect them. If you have spare weight in your suitcase, pull all your ballast etc out of the box and put it in the suitcase, and pack another plane!

There are obviously 2 schools of thought about packing boxes ... 1) putting planes in frames and braces or 2) just shoving it in with lots of padding. I like to have all the wings and fuzes in their own thick bags for protection, arrange them all in there like a puzzle so it's an efficient fit. Slide sheets of cardboard or foam around the sides of things that might press on other things. Then shove solid but light blocks of white foam or rolled up cardboard between gaps so things can't move much. Then use huge amounts of bubble wrap or any sort of padding to jam the gaps and fill the box so nothing can move. You should be able to flip the box around and not hear the things inside moving.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNut45 View Post
What a great place the forums are.
I didn't know about that. I have tried with a soldering iron which didn't work too well.
I just went out and tried this stuff ( flooring underlay ). With a covering iron it works great, it melts the foam but not the foil.
I had asked my wife to saw them. Now since I have seen this I will not have to bother her anymore.
Thanks for the tip Knut, Ill definitely try that one!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:50 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
Andrew is Master of box packing DS models, go by whatever he says =) He has done it more than most!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:46 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,259 Posts
packing

When we packed for manilla, and I have done that 3 times, the 100 was 100% gliders in wing bags, plus radios, tools and parts, only used bubble wrap for some small gaps. Andrew is right you could turns it on end and nothing moves, thats what you want, the airlines will test it out.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Well I have made some foam braces but have also taped some things to the bottom and side walls of the box to stop them moving around and all looks (sounds) secure.

I plan to take a trip to the airport tomorrow to have it properly weighed and checked by airline staff
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
You guys better be here for Friday!

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/Akaroa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:08 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
Asto, you want to head to Tekapo on Wednesday?

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/twizel_lake_pukaki
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/sebastapol

30-40mph up top I reckon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
Maybe we should stay in CHCH being the first day, not a huge Tekapo forecast but strong for ChCh, may get a good 60mph at Cass... http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lincoln_christchurch

Or could try out at Forsyth. I think that is the better option
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:55 PM
R.I.P
Joined Jan 2010
3,508 Posts
Woohoo thats pumping!
Did a test pack on my box last night, it all fits! Now I just need to pack everything in bubble wrap/ foam/ cardboard etc. Weight of planes is around 15kg, box is less than 10, so gives me plenty of spare weight for some bags/ spares and packing. Just need to arrange some sort of wheels and handles for the box now. Whats the deal with tools eg knives and screwdrivers? These are alright if they are checked in hey?
With some luck I will be able to head out to Hollowback to have a test fly of the new Scorcher on tuesday too.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:58 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Woohoo thats pumping!
Whats the deal with tools eg knives and screwdrivers? These are alright if they are checked in hey?
Yep. I have never had a problem with tools in checked baggage.
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:58 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
DONT BREAK IT!

Good conditions for Wainui on friday so keep it good for that

Already seen a couple of people break models on test flights over the last few weeks, including myself
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:02 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Maybe we should stay in CHCH being the first day, not a huge Tekapo forecast but strong for ChCh, may get a good 60mph at Cass... http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lincoln_christchurch

Or could try out at Forsyth. I think that is the better option
That may be a better option for me. I'll have to go back to the airport to pick up the car. Plus I gotta few planes to maiden and setup when I arrive.

1 MORE DAY LEFT
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:05 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
1 MORE DAY LEFT
4 days for me
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
That may be a better option for me. I'll have to go back to the airport to pick up the car. Plus I gotta few planes to maiden and setup when I arrive.

1 MORE DAY LEFT
Asto that works well I arrive about 5am Friday, with no sleep and straight to a hill 3 day 16.5 hours until I leave.

I have had this date on countdown on my phone for months and seeing the number of days in single digits is exciting (it was originally something like 172 days)
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
R.I.P
Joined Jan 2010
3,508 Posts
Two days for me! I promise not to breakit Alex, its just gentle front side with a big LZ, no DS before NZ! I dont really need to test it as I copied my other setups but it'd be good for piece of mind.
Alex do you still have a kinetic coming?
let me know if you guys want some servo covers- I have a fair bit of plastic left over and they are really easy for me to make.