HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Not sure If I will be there when everyone else is going unless we have some dates in place. Im kind of thinking of going mid December and returning the first week of Jan. A two week stay sometime during that period. What do you guys think?
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Not sure If I will be there when everyone else is going unless we have some dates in place. Im kind of thinking of going mid December and returning the first week of Jan. A two week stay sometime during that period. What do you guys think?
Possibly to close to christmas given family commitments etc' also note the first week of Jan would be school holiday peek

I was thinking early December
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old May 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Awesome plan Alex! I very much doubt I could make it, which is a real shame, but I will try. I miss my home country for sure and the chance to DS with you and your mates, catch up with good friends in CHC and meet the RCG guys, absolutely brilliant.

For those planning to visit NZ from afar, book 4 weeks (if you can). The more time the better but minimum 3 weeks if you also want to explore the country, do some touristy things, go fishing, surfing, diving, hiking, climbing, chill out on some secluded beaches or crystal clear fresh water lakes. There is so much to do and time will race by. It also takes up to a week to get over the time zone change. Bear this in mind if you are going to be doing lots of 300+ It might be 3am where your body is set to and you will therefore feel less than sharp on the sticks - or on the roads where the USA boys will be driving on the 'wrong side'.

If I can sort something out with work, I will find my way there. Even if i'm only there for a few days. Best wishes all. Hope to meet you all at the end of the year.
Hot Air is offline Find More Posts by Hot Air
Old May 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,728 Posts
I'm not setting any firm dates, as different times will suit different people. Which is fair enough.

Like the recent DS trip to the US, people were coming and going over the space of a month. So the month of December on the whole should work.

I will try set one MAIN week same as the recent US trip, maybe 2nd week of December???

And like mentioned above, don't just come for the flying. This is one of the most touristy countries around, and for a reason!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Yes, I wasnt asking for exact dates. The month of December is close enough for me. I was really asking for others who plan on going when is good for them. We know your gonna be there Alex.

Yeah, I want to stay for at least two weeks. I plan to do some fishing, sightseeing etc. My wife and I will likely be driving from Auckland to Christchurch. We would enjoy the two day drive I think. We are very much looking forward to the trip. One question though. Is there any need for 4WD? Wondering what kind of vehicle to rent. SUV for sure but 4WD?
Old May 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
Possibly to close to christmas given family commitments etc' also note the first week of Jan would be school holiday peek

I was thinking early December
+1 Early Dec would be better for getting flights, accommodation, avoiding the xmas rush, etc.
skaffen is online now Find More Posts by skaffen
Old May 21, 2012, 02:02 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,728 Posts
We haven't been up Tekapo yet, so not sure if you need 4WD there. But all other sites I can access with my Mazda 3. So 2WD will work IMO
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 02:09 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Wait. It is not possible to drive from auckland to Christchurch is it? Looks like that plan isnt going to happen. Im such an idiot.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:13 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Nevermind. Looks like there is a ferry from Wellington to Picton.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:51 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,665 Posts
Don't worry, when travelling in strange places, such as NZ (aka Middle Earth), being "such an idiot" is par for the course and at least half the fun.

At the moment the only thing holding me back from joining in is the sure knowledge that with so many pilots in NZ the weather in Aust will be perfect for flying
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old May 21, 2012, 03:17 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,891 Posts
I'll come on down to be a part of this. Should be fun! Maybe even make it a holiday with the wife and spend some time doing the holiday thing.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old May 21, 2012, 06:07 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,728 Posts
I've been looking at Tekapo springs as a holiday spot. Not bad accommodation costs either down there. The wife wants to spend some time down there after showing her

Best place for finding Accommodation costs is on www.travelbug.co.nz Remembering that prices are in NZ dollars! So don't be shocked
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 06:25 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,512 Posts
Tekapo is perfect and central. As anyone who hasnt must fly into milford sound from queenstown. And see all around that area. .
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old May 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,694 Posts
We took some of the family over there a few yrs ago for nearly 3 weeks. It was beautiful. My wife is still organizing the many hundreds of photos! We hired a 6 berth campervan ... with 4 of my kids in the back it was hell on wheels but the country is just amazing. I really want to go back. I agree, take as long as you can. We kept on the move but there's heaps we didn't get to see. We started in Auckland - Bay of Islands - West Coast, wandered to Rotorua then Lake Taupo, past Tongariro (that's a walk I want to do), spent some time in Windy Wellington then caught the ferry, eyeing off the hills for DS opportunities as we departed for Picton. Landing at sunset and driving down that east coast I couldn't see the huge hills rearing up on our right in the dark and rain, but believe me the wind we got hit with was world record breaking stuff. Then about 10 days going thru Kaikoura (spectacular), Christchurch, Dunedin and right to the bottom, Queenstown and Milford sound, and up the west coast and over Arthurs pass. It's all so close, and so much incredible scenery packed in.

When I went over to Socal in April, the one good day we had in the first week I still felt jet lagged and flying at close to 300 didn't feel good! For you USA guys who fly that fast all the time you might be fine but I didn't like it! So I didn't push it, thinking save up for other days. But we never got another day as good! Still, better than planting the DSX due to brain fade.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Anyone's welcome to crash at my place, 1/2 hour away from Tekapo, and of course I have modelling facilities available if repairs needed. Also have a 7 seater 4WD.

Mt John in tekapo doesn't need 4WD, it's a sealed road to the top, but any other hills in the area probably would need 4WD. Most roads go through the valleys and only farm tracks go up the ridges.

Nick
Skycruiser is online now Find More Posts by Skycruiser