HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:07 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
1660x400x300
I was lucky to get some core-flute just 5min down the road. $20 a sheet.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,474 Posts
Andrew's NZ DS Fest Promotional quotes:

Tekapo: "The ridge is really impressive. To the northwest you see Lake
Tekapo, glacial blue, and a vast flat land to its south, and enormous Alps all behind, covered in cloud. Apparently the moist air off the west side hits them and drops all the moisture, so the air downwind is really dry. On the backside there’s a valley way, way below and the slope drops parabolically, so you can see all of it. Enormous space to fly in and no trees anywhere."

"Summary of Sugarloaf visit: these Christchurch chaps are so damn spoilt!! Look I was totally blown away. (again). It only took 13mins drive from Alex's place to the carpark! It's a really very high hill - the towers are at nearly 500m above the surrounding coastal fringe. It was a brisk steep 2 minute hike up the hill, with a cool southerly wind, and we stopped just over the top in a spot that's just behind the shear, out of the wind. "

"For some time Alex has been slightly annoying on the forum saying that their conditions here are very very good, and that others should come to visit and fly. Well, he is right. I’m here to tell you that the amount of wind they get here (regularly) and the number of exciting sites around is totally awesome. "

"We've been at Wainui for about an hour now. This is the most fabulous place. Seriously. Absolutely unbelievable here in both directions. The DS is just so clean and crisp and smooth. We've had four guys all DSing along the ridge at the same time. The wind is a moderate at the moment maybe 15 knots. If there was a lonely planet guide to DS spots this would be number one in the world."

"I think I've said it above in the short posts from the phone, but Wainui is an exceptional site. It works in both wind directions and the each side is huge and steep. There are no saddles or gaps or shapes that you'd expect to cause leakage into the backside. The view is just stunning."

"Well I thought today would just be a quiet lay day today and I wouldn’t need to write a report. But - DAMN - we had another brilliant session of GREAT frontside and DS!!! What a shame! It’s just TOO MUCH having to cope with FIVE CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF DSing!! Oh dear how sad, never mind! "

"Oh, and by the way … in case I forgot to say it … it’s pretty good here!"
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
So finally i got my box finished, just not quite sure yet how to lock it.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Velcro around the edges and luggage straps around the middle. However you lock it, security will open to inspect.

I made this box for my Windburner when I went to the US. I know its a lot lighter and smaller but it worked really well. The Velcro was all it needed but the straps were for peace of mind.

PS. I wonder if I can claim the damage on travel insurance?

pps. nice find on the coreflute. I paid $30 for an 2.4 x 1.2 m sheet.
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:41 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
Nice boxes fellas!
Hey I made mine the other day, and used some pine from bunnings for a frame round the opening. It didnt occur to me, but will I run into trouble with customs? I'll have to ask them if i cant find out.
Cheers
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:43 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
You mean quarantine. No. Dressed timber will be fine. They just inspect it and its OK as long as it isn't still green or has wormholes.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
Yep thats it, thanks Nick. I thought it'd be cool but worth asking.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,474 Posts
Nice boxes guys!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Can you leave batteries in the plane ? Or do they need to be kept separate?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,474 Posts
You can leave them in
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Not sure if it's absolutely necessary but I would make sure you disconnect the flight battery so security can see that in the X-ray and be less likely to check further.
LiPo are treated differently. There was some discussion early in the thread regarding total capacity allowed and packing requirements.
The only thing I got caught out on was they took the tape and plug spanner I had in my tx case which I carried on.

ps. The plug spanner was for my wing bolts.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,583 Posts
I've just come thru it again, coming home today. No probs at all with batteries, don't worry about it. In 6 voyages I've never been asked about the batteries. They're mainly worried about power planes that may have flammable fuel in the tank. One worthwhile thing to do is to label the box each side with "Competition Model Aircraft - Gliders - no engines or fuel". I didn't have the last bit on mine, but will in future. I got called back to security at Christchurch this morning coz they saw all the lead in the Xray and wanted to open the box, but once the guy realized it was just gliders, they didn't bother. He knows a lot more about dynamic soaring now though.

You can pretty much put any metal stuff, tools etc in the baggage. Obviously no large liquid things or major flammables, but normal containers of glues and very small bottles of solvents etc are fine. The carry-on baggage is the thing they're worried about. Anything that could be used as a weapon. So they won't even allow a drill bit. I put pretty much everythign including all the steel joiners and ballast rods in the suitcase, and they Xray them, and they're not worried. But I wouldn't try putting a radar gun or steel joiner in the carry-on ... I'm sure they'd have a lot of questions to ask, and would probably insist on sending it as checked baggage.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:04 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
583 Posts
I have been asked about batteries but I just said that they were sailplanes and had no motors and the questioning finished there.
When I came back into NZ the time before last they were more interested in the wooden box than the gliders. The box was ok after an inspection and threw I went. This year I had a corflute box and I did not even have to stop.

Jono
jonoashton is online now Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Have lipos been in checked baggage. All the documents say these should be in carry on but will this cause an issue?
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Hi Jono, I see you are from Wellington. Where about do you fly there? I used to live in Wainuiamata 28 years ago, I remember flying at the radio mast in Titahi bay, and down at the Lighthouse down the coast rd. Is that still possible today?