Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:38 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Sorry for double posting this ... it really belongs here. In case you missed it in the "NZ's Weldon" thread, I'm fessing up ... I've booked to go over to Christchurch in a fortnight, hoping for a good WNW and the chance to fly at the incredible Tekapo ridge. Leaving on the 3rd and staying till the 12th. When we were in the US Alex kept rabbitting on about how good his sites are and it planted the seed and I've been busting to go since. Now that Alex has checked out Tekapo and found it to be so good, and since Alex and his mates put all sorts of gentle pressure on, with offers of every kind of assistance, the temptation was too great. Any site that can get my old Ampreg Scratcho up to 269mph as he did a few weeks ago, must be something incredible.

Knut was asking about the size of glider box. The one I just made of coreflute is 176 x 31 x 31 cm (internal).

Transport with a glider box is complicated if you check out all the rules. From Brisbane, Qantas doesn't fly direct to CHC. Jetstar does, but it's expensive. Virgin and Air NZ are similar base prices, and in fact a lot of Air NZ services using their "Trans Tasman Alliance" are actually Virgin flights.

But if you're going on an NZ DS Safari you'll have at least 2 baggage items, which is where Air NZ becomes expensive.

So inevitably I went with Virgin. But ... most Virgin flights have a length limit of 1.8m. Flights using an A330 have a 3 metre limit. So if you want to take your Opus, D80 or K130 over there (all over 1.8 m lengths) you'll need to carefully select A330 flights both ways. My longest part is the Scratcho wing at 1.6m, so it made sense to make a shorter box to get better cheaper flights.

Make sure you book extra baggage online. Virgin's cheapest fare includes no checked baggage (same for Jetstar and Air NZ) so you pay extra, but the rates with Virgin are the best. Doing it with the booking, it's $25 for one bag, $80 for 2 bags, and $135 for 3 bags which is pretty good value. Each item has to be under 23kg or you'll get hit with a $80 overweight penalty per item, per flight.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
If you can, I would fly Qantas as they are pretty good. Dave Gareth and I are at the Manilla slope fest at the moment and they let us take our 1.7m (they will take bigger) boxes for an extra $45AUD for over weight (up to 32kg) and an extra bag for $35AUD. I only took a carry on bag and my box with 10 gliders and all my bits and pieces, transmitters etc

Jono
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Jetstar I think were 1.9m but with no additional cost per bag only on the total limit. Can't remember what my total cost was but the return flight was $65 and 40kg of baggage was $60.

If you look back through my posts in this thread I have detailed info on my flights.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Must be more expensive from Brisbane, or perhaps the season. I did heaps of research and also checked with a travel agent and the very lowest prices were Virgin at about $230 each way.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,102 Posts
Andrew is there a reason that one should book extra baggage on line?
I went through a travel agency but they haven't booked the extra box. Only said that I will have to pay $75 when I am boarding each way. My box is 165x18x35cm.
I paid for the 2 flights 594 with Air NZ, not including the box.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,568 Posts
Great Andrew, sounds like quite a turnout now! I have to fit my 2M wings into the jetstar 1.9 metre box.....could be interesting
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Knut, yes, I forgot to make that point ... very important to book your luggage online. With Virgin it's incredibly more expensive if you pay at the airport.

Re: Qantas, I would prefer to go Qantas if possible but they don't have any direct flights to Christchurch. The flights/ waits via Syd and Melb are really long, plus it's lots more expensive.

Jetstar has a per kg surcharge system.

Gee Knut that's a thin box at 18cm! They're not worried about the widths, just the length.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,665 Posts
Josh, If you make it wider then the wing can fit in on the diagonal.
On a quick calc I reckon you need a box about 1.9 x 0.9m.
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:42 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,568 Posts
Thanks Nick, thats what Im gonna do. I checked with them a wile ago, and I can have a 1.9M cube if I like, as long as its not over 32kg!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:53 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,665 Posts
In that case you can take the whole workshop!
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Last edited by batballs; Sep 21, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
432 Posts
Good luck on the trip ,go hard or don't come home
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,261 Posts
Getting to christchurch

One option we talked about at Manilla is any guys wanted to fly into wellington on the same days that we are going then we could fit them in. we are driving down from the north island and crossing the ferry, my patrol seats 7 and we are taking a covered trailer for the beer opps i mean the planes. We are looking at the 7th pm till the 16th I think, Johno even thought about taking his xtrail, so that could mean a total of 12 pilots. Just a thought.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
What's all this about "going hard or don't come home". And Tim saying "you'll do us proud" ... I hope you guys realize I'm just going over for the Spring Flower Festivals???!!!??
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:13 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Yep Daffodil season
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member