Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
I have 3 wings now. One weighs 1kg, one is 1.5kg and the other is like 2.5kg. I have to build another fuse for the heavy and light wings, but the light one should build out to just on or below 2kg. That one I flew at mount balck in less than ten knots that Batballs saw was more like 2.9! If you keep em moving they seem to fly in pretty light breeze. Hopefully when I get the details dialed I wont crash them so much anymore! The wing seem to be mega strong though and now the fuses are much better too- just add more carbon!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,020 Posts
Sounds perfect!

I will have lots of loan planes available if I get my butt into gear
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
I have 3 wings now. One weighs 1kg, one is 1.5kg and the other is like 2.5kg. I have to build another fuse for the heavy and light wings, but the light one should build out to just on or below 2kg. That one I flew at mount balck in less than ten knots that Batballs saw was more like 2.9! If you keep em moving they seem to fly in pretty light breeze. Hopefully when I get the details dialed I wont crash them so much anymore! The wing seem to be mega strong though and now the fuses are much better too- just add more carbon!
Funny thing is my heavy plane is just over 2kg but it will fly frontside in 30+knots and if it gets really big I will be happy holding the gun for a WR
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:14 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Its funny what you think is heavy is not heavy any more when you're talking ds planes- Im still getting my head around it! Only problem is they go so much faster and land so much harder!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
I know what you mean Josh I would love to take a heavy scorcher to the local field for club members (most with gental lady's) to comment on weight.

We had a glider fun fly called off weekend before last as it was too windy (guessing arround 15knots) I flew the omega and provided some entertainment (the only one willing to fly)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
I reckon it'd be worth joining a white hat club just to see their eyes pop out!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
Guys are always stunned when they pick up my heavy Scratcho or the Shockwave. They really are bricks. But after carrying the full weight DSX back from landing on Friday, the SW & DSX felt quite light!! And when Shane got his Caracho out later it felt like it was made of tissue paper.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Even better just rock up with the plane and say you want to learn how to fly it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Hey Andrew I forgot to say 7kg thats massive! The DSX is 2.5 metres right? Ive launched Roger's Shmicko at about that weight and size and it just doesnt feel like it should fly. Does the DSX have tip weight or just lots of ballast?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
It's the stock model with no tip ballast. There's a whole thread dedicated to the DSX when it was first made. You can fly it with one steel joiner (it would be nice to have a carbon one - a few guys have one but the standard option is steel) then you can go to 2 steel joiners, then you can put in steel wing ballast rods and finally you can put in the steel fuse ballast. You have to change the nose weights to reset the CG for the different ballast configurations. Oh and the Wizard Compacts do not have any different foils all versions were made from the same moulds. I checked.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Ahh ,so it has removable span ballast. Seems like it has a really wide flight envelope- Perfect!
they really thought ahead when they designed that plane hey.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,020 Posts
Was easy to launch the fully weighted DSX at Weldon compared to my 8kg K100 lol

I really like the ballast options that the DSX has though, I want to try incorporate that into future models of mine
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Ahh ,so it has removable span ballast. Seems like it has a really wide flight envelope- Perfect!
they really thought ahead when they designed that plane hey.
Sort off, But if it where Span ballast, It would be further ourboard.
I think thats why its still refered to as wing ballast.
It is all between the root and the flap servo, span would be out board of the flap servo?
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Mt Maunganui New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
784 Posts
Hey Alex!
Long time no flying. Its a looooong story and I wont go into details, too depressing!.
Hoping to be there, but I wont know for shure if i can make it till much closer to the time.

While I'm not in ChCh dec thru jan I can help fellow flyers with somewhere to pitch a tent or park a campervan in Mt Maunganui (one of the nth islands most popular holiday destinations). I have an outside bathroom/ shower and deck bbq etc etc. Its a very hard place to get accomodation around that time. Check the place out on the net for more details. Its 45 mins from Rotorua (very popular tourist destination)if that helps anyone

We have almost daily sloping and maybee some mild ds if conditions are right.
Ralph Walton is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Walton
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,020 Posts
Hey Ralph! Yes very long time! Wondered where you went. Hope all is well.

Mt Maunganui is a fantastic place (though I haven't been there haha the Mrs really wants to go) and if anyone was in the North Island, it would be a great place to go. Kind of like our version of Gold Coast in a small package lol would you agree Ralph?

Great for R&R
RCG Plus Member