HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Discussion
Need help choosing 3D plane for my engine

Hello everyone! This is the first thread I have ever started so be gentle on me. I have an OS 91 FX laying around and need a 3D plane to put it in. I am new to this style flying and this will be my first 3D plane. This engine was in a GP Big Stick 60 and I have flown it extensively (for me) over 100 flights on it before an unfortunate accident took it out. I have been looking at several planes mostly Yaks and Extras, but don't really know which one I should get. I need an ARF as I don't have any place to build currently. I have been looking at these two Seagull ARF's but have no info on them other than what Horizon lists.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...0-size-SEA4075
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...60-arf-SEA4000

I have read a few threads and watched some youtube videos on them and they seem to have good reviews overall. I am leaning towards the Edge on these two but am certainly open to suggestions on other planes. I appreciate all the help!

I also am planning on using Futaba S3010 Servos all around as that is what I have. They are not digital, but a few guys at my club fly them in 3D planes and do excellent.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
None of those planes are good for 3D. They are just way to heavy and will snap on you.
Unless you go with a profile about the only choice you have is to do a 3DHS electric to glow conversion.
Several guys have done that and there is athread on it.
Good luck
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Ok, thanks. I'm glad you told me that. I'll look into a 3dhs conversion.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
How about a U-Can-Do 3D 60 size?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMZ6&P=ML
Old May 18, 2012, 10:09 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
The UCANDO can do lots of acro's but it's not a good 3D ship.
3D flying by it's nature is your flying off the prop. And even though it's in a deep stall you don't want the plane to think that. Therfore it needs to be of the lightest wing loading.
Not prone to wing rock at high alpha angles of attack. And be able to flip in a monments notice.
Now there is nothing wrong with the UCANDO and that motor would make it a nice home for a fun fly airplane.
But if your wanting to do all the 3D moves then get this plane http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/57-Extra-...d_p_15127.html
And rebuild the motor box for a nitro.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
I'll study those threads and learn all I can about the conversion before I make that leap. I love the Extras and Edges, but the guys at the field warned me today that the tapered wing planes like these have a tendency to tip stall. (especially for a 3D newb like myself). I guess that sort of made me nervous about them, but they are what I would really love to buy. I am not really fond of the UCANDO fuselage anyway.

Why get an electric and convert it? Wouldn't it be easier to get one set up for gas and just install glow? I'm not being argumentative, please don't interpret it that way, I'm just curious. I've been told that electric airframes aren't built to withstand IC engines, but the gas airframe would be. Or are the gas ones built up too much making them heavy?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Whats the flying difference in an Extra and a Slick? I was just shopping 3dhs and I like them both, but wasn't sure if they had different tendencies or characteristics or not.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:16 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Scratch that last question on why not buy a gas and convert it. I just answered it myself. Duh The 3dhs gas arf doesn't get small enough for my 91fx. So I see now why you recommended the one you did. I have been reading threads on the extra vs slick and seems to me the slick is supposed to be more stable in high alpha maneuvers and both are rock solid in harriers and hovering, but they fly with completely different personalities. Correct me if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time today that I was. lol
Old May 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
They say the slick is a little better for 3D
Old May 21, 2012, 07:15 PM
St. Peters, MO
Joined Sep 2003
76 Posts
Reactor Bipe or the Reactor .46