HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,031 Posts
I want video. Like to see about what they mean "Hold on to your depends" with the 1115/1Y
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:42 AM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
Jolt is here

Jolt Arrived today. First impression is finish and detail is not at Jibe / Swist level. Inside of fuse is very light on resin, open loose weave poking up along the floor, flexible. Dull scuffed finish over all. This one appears to be straight so far. Servo covers provided are tossers, will make my own. No motor mount. If you are one that is picky about your planes build quality and finish, the extra $160.00 is well worth it for a Viper, Jibe II, Swist etc.

Am I happy with the plane, yea. Build will take extra work and care to make a nice plane and that is fine with me. The design looks familiar and should fly well.

I will take some pics tomorrow for those that are on the fence and not ready to take the plunge.
Jaguar22 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:42 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,528 Posts
Man I do appreciate an HONEST straight forward first impression...you just made up my mind for me on my next airframe and it will be the Swist...NO motor mount plate...that kills me on a plane that is over 400 dollars
Watchin the buiild
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,425 Posts
Just opened my Jolt!

Paint is splotchy (as it looked on another photo) but I don't mind.
I DO mind the carbon not being glued properly. The fibers of the weave pick up when you lightly rub your finger across them as if they never were wetted. Also the CF is a good 1/16" off the fiberglass near the front of the wing saddle. If this snaps I better get a new one..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
Jolt Pics

Pics here are of my plane. Honestly I expected more for the price. To be fair I did not expect Swist levels of quality, apples and oranges. I wanted a cheaper airframe and that is what I got. At $325 the price would be in line with the level of build quality compared to $430.

Do not misunderstand, there is nothing wrong with this plane. No structural issues or design flaws at all that I have discovered. Simply the plane I received does not impress me with build quality equal to price currently being asked for it.

Now time to build and go fast.............................

1112 1y
4S 2250
Dymond 60 servos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,425 Posts
here's a couple of pics from me. The toothpick is resting in the gap, not pushing it open!
I, however, do think that poor CF bonding is a structural issue..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:48 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
Just opened my Jolt!

Paint is splotchy (as it looked on another photo) but I don't mind.
I DO mind the carbon not being glued properly. The fibers of the weave pick up when you lightly rub your finger across them as if they never were wetted. Also the CF is a good 1/16" off the fiberglass near the front of the wing saddle. If this snaps I better get a new one..
If this were mine, I would certainly be calling them on it to at least document the fact that you had poor construction before it comes apart in the air. That is, if you want a free replacement.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
If this were mine, I would certainly be calling them on it to at least document the fact that you had poor construction before it comes apart in the air. That is, if you want a free replacement.

You make a good point. I need to examine mine in greater detail when I get home this evening.

I would not go with a full power setup in this airframe as delivered. That would not be a smart decision. Most of what I have viewed can be fixed of course, that will add more weight by adding more resin and cloth. As I said before, this would not be an issue if the price point on the airframe was lower to match the build quality. I am a fair minded person in that I believe in you should get what you pay for. You pay less you get less.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,031 Posts
I too was thinking of the weight penalty you get with extra resin and that may be what the manufacturer had in mind to keep it as light as possible. Then again, it could just be the cheap help at the plant!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:55 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
These are the first production run and have a few rough edges it seems. I will make the fixes as needed and enjoy the airframe.

What really has my attention is the airfoil and tail moment. In fact this plane is quite similar to the Swist in many respects but appears to be less edgy to fly and land hopefully with a lower stall speed. All good characteristics.

I am excited to get this one in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
I too was thinking of the weight penalty you get with extra resin and that may be what the manufacturer had in mind to keep it as light as possible. Then again, it could just be the cheap help at the plant!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar22 View Post
These are the first production run and have a few rough edges it seems. I will make the fixes as needed and enjoy the airframe.

What really has my attention is the airfoil and tail moment. In fact this plane is quite similar to the Swist in many respects but appears to be less edgy to fly and land hopefully with a lower stall speed. All good characteristics.

I am thinking it looks a lot more like the Plasma 2 then the Swist...Mainly in the wing and tail...
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:

I am thinking it looks a lot more like the Plasma 2 then the Swist...Mainly in the wing and tail......as far as tip stall with the Swist,I have found no issues there,she is a pleasure to launch,fly,and land.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:06 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
I have never flown a Plasma II. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I am thinking it looks a lot more like the Plasma 2 then the Swist...Mainly in the wing and tail......as far as tip stall with the Swist,I have found no issues there,she is a pleasure to launch,fly,and land.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
I have never flown a Plasma II. Thanks for sharing.
I was talking about flying the Swist,you had mentioned tip stall,i was just letting you know that i have not seen any issue (i did get it a bit slow first turn on approach the first flight on 5cell,after being used to the 3oz lighter 4cell,but it was very manageable).I mentioned the Plasma 2 cause that is what the Jolt reminds me of,the Swist wing is very different from the Jolt it looks like.the Swist has a continuous round LE,and gets thin at the tip with a pretty heavy up lift at the tip.This is the only good pic i have of the Swist that shows the shape of the wing,but it is hard to make out the tips.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
This is the Tip on the Swist...... just trying to help you out with info I also have never flown a Plasma.