Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
It is good to fly the plane on 4cell just to get used to it,and trim....But trust me,you want to focus on the 5 cell setup.You will see what i mean .
Doug how do you like the 1115/1Y compared to the 16/35/1.5RE? I assume that since the Kv is higher on the Neu you can't run it on 6s?
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77 View Post
Doug how do you like the 1115/1Y compared to the 16/35/1.5RE? I assume that since the Kv is higher on the Neu you can't run it on 6s?
I will tell you after i put the gearbox and Sawtooth prop on it The 1.5 RE was an amazing motor both DD and Big F5D folder....just wished i pulled that throttle back 1 second sooner that day
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,764 Posts
I'm wondering the difference in these two setups on 5S.....

I have seen both posted but not sure which gets more speed on these airframes.

1115/1Y 4.75x4.75

1115/1.5D 5.25x6.25
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Quote:
with my Swist yesterday...With Neu 1115/1Y,4.75X4.75,2700mah 65C TP 5cell....I could not break 200mph flat and level....
That's a lot of rpm on 5s! I'm not the smartest or most experienced guy, but doesn't the swist have a very large fuselage? Big fuselage means more drag and that means more thrust is needed. Maybe try 4s and a larger prop? With a 30mm spinner a 5.25 inch prop has 25% more area than a 4.75 inch prop. Thrust is proportional to prop area!

Anybody got any clue about battery sizes for a jolt? I'm assuming a 4s 2700 will fit easy - what about something around 4s 3300?
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
That's a lot of rpm on 5s! I'm not the smartest or most experienced guy, but doesn't the swist have a very large fuselage? Big fuselage means more drag and that means more thrust is needed. Maybe try 4s and a larger prop? With a 30mm spinner a 5.25 inch prop has 25% more area than a 4.75 inch prop. Thrust is proportional to prop area!

Anybody got any clue about battery sizes for a jolt? I'm assuming a 4s 2700 will fit easy - what about something around 4s 3300?
The fastest the Swist has gone,and can hold the throttle full on for the whole 1:30,was with the 2500Kv Mega,6S w/4.2X5.5 APC close to 50,000rpm....The Swist runs just fine on small props.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
wondering the difference in these two setups on 5S.....

1115/1Y 4.75x4.75

1115/1.5D 5.25x6.25
1115/1.5d is 3500kv. On 5s with a 5.25 inch prop?!?! I imagine you would be measuring amps by the hundreds! 1115/2.5d(2100kv) with that prop on 5s is 90a static per the viper thread.

We're getting away from Jolts guys! To get back on topic: mine is green instead of red(pink?). I have 65hb servos but I hate to have them stick out of the wings so much. I hate to spend $60 on a pair of ds09 servos too... I'll get some good info up here once I get started on mine.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:15 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
Johnny, listen to VooDoo he has a bit experiance on the Swist and different setups, not many get close to that,,all this matters to all new F5D airframes as they are about the same in flyingstyle and speed, I dont think the Swist is much dragier fuselage even if its a bit bigger, if so it is so small that it wont matter..

3500kv and 4.75 prop on 5s = BURN baby BURN..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Johnny, listen to VooDoo he has a bit experiance on the Swist and different setups, not many get close to that,,all this matters to all new F5D airframes as they are about the same in flyingstyle and speed, I dont think the Swist is much dragier fuselage even if its a bit bigger, if so it is so small that it wont matter..

3500kv and 4.75 prop on 5s = BURN baby BURN..

Sebbe
Sorry guys, I meant 2.5D.

Comparing 2800kv with 2100kv on 5S with different props.

Which seems better for the Jolt?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:34 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sorry guys, I meant 2.5D.

Comparing 2800kv with 2100kv on 5S with different props.
Given two choices with similar pitch speed I would always go with the larger diameter prop. It will make more thrust, better acceleration, and be easier to throw. krproton has lots of detailed data on the 1115/2.5d on 5s with 5.25x6.25 in the viper thread and measured his viper at just over 200mph level with it, seems proven enough to me!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
The fastest the Swist has gone,and can hold the throttle full on for the whole 1:30,was with the 2500Kv Mega,6S w/4.2X5.5 APC close to 50,000rpm....The Swist runs just fine on small props.
Doug do you know how many amps you were pulling with the above setup? It's probably not easy to find 6s packs that are small enough to fit yet large enough to keep up with the current draw.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77 View Post
Doug do you know how many amps you were pulling with the above setup? It's probably not easy to find 6s packs that are small enough to fit yet large enough to keep up with the current draw.
Nevermind I just saw the Castle log you posted in the Swist thread.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Got my jolt today. $47 for shipping is a bit excessive I think. SUSA has charged me around $35 or so before for planes, $47 is out of line in my opinion. I will definitely inquire about shipping charges before my next order!

As far as the plane goes, it looks great to me. I'm a mechanical engineer and have experience with composites and the workmanship to me looks functionally excellent. The fuselage around the wing opening has been wetted out with resin and a brush, presumably by SUSA in response to this thread. You can see where the brushing ended a few inches forward and aft of the fuselage opening. Excess resin was brushed on and made the bottom of the fuselage mirror-smooth epoxy. The bare layup can be seen and felt through the nose and it looks great. In my opinion the brushed on epoxy was not necessary and I wish it had not been done. The paint looks great, it is a light coat and not intended to be a solid color. Mine has no delamination like is pictured earlier in this thread. The elevator wiper will pop out a bit and lock the elevator, but if you're using that much throw you're doing something wrong. Mine came with a nice motor mount with normal holes drilled(19mm I think?), wing bolts, and servo covers. I wish control horns came with it!

The fuselage is big! A 5s 2700ish pack could fit if you can find one with the right height/width combination. The PP65 and Hyperion EX are both very close, too close to call from my ruler measurements. The wing is thin and the servo holes are tiny(24x34mm) - only 6mm deep at the aft end and 7.5mm at the front end! There is a nice recess around the openings for the included covers. The covers look nice and are raised up 4-5mm above the surface. A hs65 servo will just fit with the tabs cut off, to be seen if they will fit under the covers. No way to do a flat cover with any servo I've ever seen. For the big-prop guys, the wing leading edge is 169mm back from the edge of the nose.

Other than the tacky brushed-in epoxy in the fuselage and $47 shipping charge I'm very happy with the plane. Oh, and control horns! Even a strip of scrap to cut some from would have been OK.

Now for my questions: I'll probably cut the entire aft surface of the fuselage open to vent air, what have others done there? Can somebody drop a scrap of composite plate to make a few control horns from in the mail? I don't want to make plywood ones for a nice plane like this.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Biskit,i am not sure how anybody else feels,but i for one feel that the Jolt needs it's own thread with a nice title...For the price that one can purchase it for,and what one gets for there money is over the top in the F5D sport market....you know,something called " Jolt F5D from SUSA,build and flight report " ...and i for one feel you are the man for the job .Just thinking out loud here .....On a side note,if you need some carbon fiber plate for the control horns,just PM me your address,and i will get it out to you. Doug PS,if you go to the X-Plane thread,there is a new post from Dbox about a guy who is selling control horns pre-made and ready to go....just get 3 for the ailerons and use them all around,as the X-Plane uses a different horn for the elevator.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
I think I will do a new message for it, I've never done one of those! I sent you my address, a small piece of some sort of plate would be a big help. I won't get to do any significant building until next week anyway.

I made a 6s a123 pack and tested both motors.... the medusa looks perfect for 5.25x6.25 on 4s and both motors will do 4.75x4.75 or 5x5 easy on 5s. Decisions decisions!

I can say soldering a deans onto the 10g castle wire is a PITA! What bullets do most people use? I saw the castle bullets once and only remember they were very difficult to plug/unplug, is that normal? What about the hyperion bullets?

I'm planning on 65hb for elevator. Ailerons will be 65hb if they fit under the covers, otherwise I will probably splurge on some skinny servos.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:24 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
biskit, man she looks nice,,,, Just to bad the shipping costs to Sweden is HUGE ,,,, I guess SUSA is the only one selling these planes ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe