AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
That's terrible. Somehow, someone should have warned about the lack of sacrificial anodes.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 17, 2012, 10:56 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Someone's head needs to be lopped off considering the USN learned all about the use of aluminum & steel more than half a century ago when they had serious failures due to corrosion.

The comments that follow are the best part of the article. Austria???? ROFLMAO!!!!!

Quote:
Should have built these ships in New Orleans. the Navy could have saved thousands of jobs and keep the money IN THE USA, not send it to Austria.

But no, lets pick the cheapest bid, so it costs billions in the furture. And lets ship our jobs and money to everyone else.

Wonder why this country is screwed.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old May 18, 2012, 01:48 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,623 Posts
This same (the Austria/Australia) mistake cost Australia billions of dollars in wine exports to the USA when there was a scandal in Austria with them adding glycol to wine to make it sweeter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_di...l_wine_scandal.

Who decided that the cathodic protection system be deleted, was that mentioned in the article, every metal hulled ship needs some form of cathodic protection, whether aluminium or steel?

Even fibreglass and wood boats have anodes to protect metal in contact with seawater.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old May 18, 2012, 06:51 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
We had a Austal high speed ferry based here for over ten years. It did not have any reported corrosion problems, it did have some serious engine issues though.
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that some "informed", ie not exactly tech savvy, bean counter at the big five sided house,saw a way to cut say 25 mil for the cost overruns that these ships(oh and every other defense project this country does) in an effort to keep from having the project cancelled.Oh well, we'll pay for it in the end anyhow , so why not be up front with it!
Jonathan
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old May 18, 2012, 06:58 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,623 Posts
The silly thing is,do anodes really cost that much? An active system, maybe a bit more,but still?
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old May 18, 2012, 07:20 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Ever notice that the bean counters are almost always anonymous---?

They save virtually nothing in the long run, except their own sorry butts---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
This same (the Austria/Australia) mistake cost Australia billions of dollars in wine exports to the USA when there was a scandal in Austria with them adding glycol to wine to make it sweeter.
It's a whole lot easier to keep place names straight if you simply learn what the names mean!

But that would require education in Latin, Greek, French, etc. Sheesh, put dictionaries in the bathroom instead of People magazine!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
So - who said "Don't fit them"? The manufacturer or the ordering agency?
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 18, 2012, 10:05 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
LCS had had its fits and starts. Not unusual with a new program. Nobody seems to learn from the past though and avoid some of the pitfalls. I still want to cry every time "Pentagon Wars" comes on TV and I see what happened with the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old May 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's a whole lot easier to keep place names straight if you simply learn what the names mean!
But that would require education in Latin, Greek, French, etc. Sheesh, put dictionaries in the bathroom instead of People magazine! Andy
About right, Andy---. Hee hee---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,571 Posts
A similar MBA driven mindset in the "New Breed" of management in my company virtually destroyed a stellar international reputation in the medical research industry built over 70 years of customer service and was a major factor in my decision to retire early.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old May 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,063 Posts
Having this system onboard a ship like this is a no brainer. We even saw a " Dirty Jobs" episode about changing these out on barges.
So it begs the question, how much weight is saved by leaving them off?
How much money is saved by leaving them off?
Anyone there with that knowledge?
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old May 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
A 12" x 3" x 1.25" weld on zinc anode costs about $110, and weighs about 12 pounds. A 24" x 4" x 2" zinc anode costs about $400 and weighs 50 pounds. Probably takes about 1/2 hour for a shipfitter to cut off the old zinc and weld a new one in place. SWAG estimate is $9600 for 24 zincs, adding 1200 pounds; 12 hours of labor at $25 is $300 for labor cost - not including any other prep or hull work needed. Estimate is based on my time and experiences in the USCG - repairing or supervising the repair of USCG vessels and buildings.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old May 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,910 Posts
What really irks me is that the anonymous bean counter will probably put down on his resume how he saved the navy tens of thousands of dollars by "removing government waste" from the ship build process, get a raise, and go cause another disaster somewhere else.

Andy
Site Sponsor