Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Pete,
Is there any place we can keep up with and/or see your friend's work?
Haven't posted anything yet. So here's the first teasers.

I'm working on some Clergets, Lewis guns, Vickers etc. for micro use. I'll also try and make some bigger scale versions for bigger planes. Here's just couple WIP screenshots of what I've done. They will be available directly from Shapeways, once mtflyr has received his batch of items and we've both approved them. They will be 3d printed with the Shapeways "Frosted Ultra-Detail" material.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Is 3d printing anything like stereolithography? nice work.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Its' Here!!!

I had a big box delivered to my door in the middle of a tremendous downpour last Friday - in perfect shape. Inside was an even more perfect gift: Pete's beautiful Nieuport. I was floored and spent the next hour just admiring all the wonderful detailing Pete put into this bird. The images he posted don't do this masterpiece justice! The Le Rhone and Lewis gun were particularly impressive!

I programmed my DX8 per Pete's recommendations, and ran the Nieuport through its paces - again, perfect (after I reversed the elevator control). The spinning engine is particularly impressive.

All I need now is a break from the inundating rains, and I'll be off into the wild blue yonder.

Thanks, Pete...I don't know how to adequately express my appreciation, but I'll try showing by sending more pre-tissued paper models for you to turn into flying machine masterpieces.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks UNGN, I also know better now besides being the GuRu of e-stuff you really know your motors too.
Do you still do car racing stuff? Cool...

Excellent Toni thanks for posting the info. on you super cool designs and Shapeways.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 11, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
Pete,
Nice work, as always. Even though I haven't done any printed tissue in years I'm always happy to see it still being done, and so well.

Lupus78, nice work on Shapeways parts. I think it's an excellent idea to design scale pieces that can be purchased via Shapeways.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
It's Alive! Dawn Patrol

Yesterday, during a break from the rains (we set a single day record in Pensacola for rainfall - 14 inches), I just had to take the Nieuport outside..even though the wind was too high. My intent was to just do some taxi tests (y'all know that routine). Well, (and you know what's coming next) ... it did lift off nicely, but after about 15 feet at low altitude, I wisely yielded to the wind and aborted.

This morning I beat the sun (but not the wind) and excitedly sped off to the wet soccer fields. Since I knew from yesterday that Pete had set up a good flyer, I boldly launched into a 5MPH head wind - what a beautiful sight! After a fast downwind and stable turn into the wind (aided by the programmed rudder/aileron interface), the Nieuport slowed down to a crawl for an impressive fly-by. I didn't push the flight envelope, choosing instead to just admire that beautiful yellow Nieuport in the early morning sunrise.

After the first battery, I loaded a Hyperion 240 and the little Nieuport shot into the sky courtesy of that strong Mustang motor ... until..... until the prop unscrewed itself! I very obviously should have checked the propafter the first flight since Pete had reversed the prop shaft, resulting in reversed threads. On impact, the Lewis gun popped off as Pete intended, and the Nieuport was ready to take to the skies again after I secured the prop and gun. However, I decided to take it home to give it a complete check (which it passed with flying colors).

So Pete, it flies as great as it looks - excellent job all around!

Gene K
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Gene, sorry about the prop. That also happened to me once while on final so it was not an issue. It's why I aslo was going to use the Mosquito shaft on mine if I do the same to lenghten the shaft that way it will be the normal direction to put the prop on.

Pete
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Thanks UNGN, I also know better now besides being the GuRu of e-stuff you really know your motors too.
Do you still do car racing stuff? Cool...
I love motors and mechanical stuff. When ever I visit somewhere I usually spend a day or 2 in the technical museums trying to figure out how things worked.

It always amazes me how smart people were 100 - 200 years ago and if they had only had the internet, how much further along the world would be.

The world had practially every thing it needed in the 1890's to make an axial flow gas turbine engine by 1900-1905, but the design people and material people didn't know each other until the late 1930's early 40's. During WWII, the germans made turbine blades for their jet engines very similar to how folded card models are made, except in sheet metal. If the guy that thought up the card model idea (and the internet) was around in 1890, the wright bros might have switched to a gas turbine by 1910.

Gene, we need some video of the spinning engine!
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
... I haven't done any printed tissue in years ....
Thanks one more time, Gordon, for helping me get started many moons ago!

Gene K
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Gordon,
Your the Master...

UNGN thanks agin for all the motor info. etc.

Can't wait to see Toni's (Lupus 78) micro fake motors and other stuff should really help these birds come alive.

Pete
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
... we need some video of the spinning engine!
OK, here's a quickie:

NP 11 Features (3 min 40 sec)

Things I need to do:

1. Center the prop hub sticker - it looks wobbly in the video, but it's actually running true.

2. Apply tail and fuselage markings.

3. Reinforce the gun mount.

4. Go fly tomorrow morning.

Gene K
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Pete,

Do you know the weight of your Le Rhone?

Thanks,
Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:45 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Hey Kody,

Take a look on page 2 of this thread. I posted a picture of the two fake motors together they are 2grs. So it's 1+ gr or so not a big deal and as I said you need some weight up front in these birds anyway I'd rather have that detail weight than just dead weight.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 12, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Hey Pete,

Sorry that I missed that picture. My CAD model is at 2.76g right now, and that is hollowed out! I'm not sure if you needed dead weight or if the battery was positioned to make up for any tail heaviness.

Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Last edited by PiperCub49; Jun 12, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
OMG... Gene I couldn't stop laughing I just watched the video... You give me way too much credit. You must have a super battery in that as I don't remember it sounding that powerful... cool. That ending had me laughing...

Kody,

I have the brick and battery up as far as possible, given the fake LeRhone position and she trims out ok. What I meant was having a fake LeRhone or other motor and items up front in these short nosed WWI birds helps to get the CG. Using the PZ/P-51 set up also helps since the motor is 8mm (heavy) and it can put out enough power to have some speed. I can also fly pretty scale slow too.

I think you'll be okay with 3grs. Do you have anymore pictures of your CAD LeRhone and how would it be made? Sounds cool we need more of this 1:20-1:24 scale detail stuff.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:57 PM.