HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
795 Posts
Unbelievable! I can't build a wing in that amount of time! So many details, beautiful job. And I have to admit - it's easy to be addicted to the biplanes: I have three. The treatment of the prop was cool. I need to try that on my planes.
gklein is online now Find More Posts by gklein
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
Thanks gklein...

Yeah, this bird to this stage was done quick. It ususally take me a month.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Wow!.....looks so good....unbelievable.....I have only done a small amount of scratch building and just on the most basic level.....I have a lot of respect for those who can build such fine models.....you have amazing ability Pete.....

Andrew
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
Old May 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
Thanks Andrew. Not really much ability it's easy to do just takes time. And I've built about 40 RC planes from paper model plans to foam. Tons of help from all the folks I've talked to here at RC Groups and elsewhere.

Pete
Old May 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Yes I guess I lack the patience required....I have to learn to slow down on building...I am always in too much of a hurry to go out and fly.....Guess you have to be kind of like a cat waiting on a mouse to show itself....I am the same way with creating missions for flight simulators....I will work myself to the point of exhaustion trying to get a mission done quickly....
Last edited by sweeteye; May 28, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
BTW Andrew not sure where you are in Ohio but my girlfriend is up in Fremont this week visting her dad.

Also I'm saving my $ to get a good computer to run ROF I have the game but need better computer. I have Windows XP I can run First Eagles and I have the FE2. There are some cool add on planes like the NP's that I would love to add on and fly but my skills to do so suck and I can't seem to add anything. I have seen the add ons at Combat Aces.

I only have for the Allies the SPAD, Camel, and Se-5 would love to be able to add in some Nieuports. It has some cool German planes the Albatros, Dr-I and other Fokkers.

Pete
Old May 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
I have ROF but haven't flown in 2 years. Not happy with my joystick setup. Pm me when you are ready we'll learn it again together
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old May 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Thanks Blaz I can only tell you it took 19 days to get this far. Gene also has a ton of time on the builds as well

I pulled 20+

Pete
Shoot! Guess I can't offer to buy it off of you then
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old May 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
......Salem is in northeastern Ohio but more to the south right in the middle of the state....Fairly close to the Pennsylvania state line.....I am also still running Windows XP....Have windows 7 but never seem to install it........I have used Windows 7 on other computers I have had but just do not really like the way the C drive files are set up.....eventually I will install 7.....most likely when something replaces it............in the past most of the flight sims seemed to be made for XP but that is changing.....Guess I am lucky Rise of flight runs so well for me.....I have a computer called an Ultra, made here in Ohio I guess....Have an ATI Radeon 4800 series video card..... Have an Intel 2 quad CPU...2.50 GHz and 3 GB Ram....... I have Microsoft flight simulator X but I do have to keep the sliders back some or my frame rates choke up.... Only thing I do not like about rise of flight is that you have to buy nearly every plane.........I do not think that is right at all..... and you cannot mod your own....The last missions I created were for the old combat flight simulator 1...
the missions for cfs1 can be found here...

http://thefreeflightsite.com/WW1.htm
Last edited by sweeteye; May 28, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:07 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
I hate that drive to Fremont OH, PA is a long state I use to go up to Breezwood althe time to fly my hang glider up there but we lost the LZ needed to fly there owner was too worried about liability So we only fly there on east wind days and there are not to many east days when it's not raining plus the rise in the cost of gas.

Pete
Old May 29, 2012, 07:52 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
Got to fly it again yesterday. I got lucky because on the first flight the prop spun off as I was landing. I didn't see it but I heard the difference, I was just landing it in the grass. I realized what happened once I picked it up with no prop. I searched the grass and got lucky as I found the prop. I put it back on and had 3 more good flights before it got too windy.

Before painting I had to try on some temporary paper decals for sizing. I think she'll look cool once done. I did attach the LG wire thin foam covering. I hope to mask for painting tonight.

Gene will do his own decals for the tail and wings I may do the fuselage.

Pete
Old May 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I think she'll look cool once done.
Your sculpted pilot really gives it life (among other things)! And the landing gear is an engineers work of art.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,933 Posts
Thanks Gene...

Man I love this site I've learned most of my stuff from all the guys out there doing this crazy hobby.

I made some foam cylinders for my NP-11 fake LeRhone and using a tip Gene sent me from a larger scale builder who used paper cyliners wrapped in thread.

I used fishing line. You wrap two lines even then just remove one worked great and added strength with little weigh gain.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; May 29, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
That's what my Le Rhone looks like right now! Trying to get the fins to looks decent with the .3mm minimum dimension is actually pretty challenging.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old May 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
Pete, thanks for a great thread. Very nice work!
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus