HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I worked to install the fake LeRhone and made another Jello cup cowling. Got the LeRhone to spin free but I was hoping it would look better once painted, it didn't help much. Oh well... Gotta hope Toni comes through at some point with the Shapeways designed fake motors. That would be real cool to have detailed light weight fake motors in this scale.

Pete
Hey Pete,

I have access to CAD and I have a Shapeways and Ponoko account. I would like to try my hand at making a detailed LeRhone for 3D printing. I was wondering if this Toni fellow (I'm not exactly sure who he is) has any of his work up online for me to see.

Thanks,
Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 06:12 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Yes, Kody he does he's an artist From Finland. He's made micro and larger WWII American ETO pilot figures that are excellent! He's Lupus78 doing the awesome micro Hellcat build.

It would be great to have some do 1:20 scale WWI motors, Spandaus, Lewis and Vickers MG's for this size bird to fit the PZ Dr-I and the Albatros (although the Abatros is more 1:24 scale). There's a guy Randy also who advertized in Flying Models Magazine about doing larger ones.

Toni, Lupus 78 is going to give it a go when he gets some time. That would be super. I have a bunch of his Shapeways micro pilots for the PZ P-51 and my PZ sized P-47 Razorback.

I sculpted my own 1:20 & 1:24 WWI pilots since I could find none out there. There's also a guy on the Paper Models web site Bruce who made an excellent Fokker 1:24 laser cut motor.

My friend Jin also has a laser cutter and he made a few cooling jackets in 1:24 scale. He too can design but does not now have the time.

It would be great if you can do some 1:20 & 1:24 scale stuff for these WWI birds.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 26, 2012, 06:24 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Well, I may be able to test fly this bird for Gene tomorrow. I just need to mount the top wing struts and the top wing, wheels, tail skid and Lewis Gun. Lots of details to do though to finish, I'll add the wind screen after painting.

Mounted the brick, added the rudder and elevator control push rods and connections. Everything's working great including the ailerons...

Overall weight is right on target at 30 at this point I should be able to keep it under or at about 35 grs

Pete
Old May 26, 2012, 09:01 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Yes, Kody he does he's an artist From Finland. He's made micro and larger WWII American ETO pilot figures that are excellent! He's Lupus78 doing the awesome micro Hellcat build.

It would be great to have some do 1:20 scale WWI motors, Spandaus, Lewis and Vickers MG's for this size bird to fit the PZ Dr-I and the Albatros (although the Abatros is more 1:24 scale). There's a guy Randy also who advertized in Flying Models Magazine about doing larger ones.

Toni, Lupus 78 is going to give it a go when he gets some time. That would be super. I have a bunch of his Shapeways micro pilots for the PZ P-51 and my PZ sized P-47 Razorback.

I sculpted my own 1:20 & 1:24 WWI pilots since I could find none out there. There's also a guy on the Paper Models web site Bruce who made an excellent Fokker 1:24 laser cut motor.

My friend Jin also has a laser cutter and he made a few cooling jackets in 1:24 scale. He too can design but does not now have the time.

It would be great if you can do some 1:20 & 1:24 scale stuff for these WWI birds.

Pete
Thanks for clearing that up, Pete. I would really like to see what Toni comes up with. His Hellcat is a testament to what can be done when a CAD-sufficient artist puts his mind to something! Here is an example of that: http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/...=1318607847/20

I am looking for some dimensions on the Le Rhone right now. It's proving to be more challenging than I thought.

Kody
Old May 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Hey Kody,

For this build I made my fake LeRhone a tad smaller than 1:20 scale. It's OSD is 42-43mm each of the 9 cylinder diameters are 5mm and the center hole for the PZ P-51 emotor needs to be about 1mm or can be drilled to fit a micro bearing with so the PZ 1.5mm shaft can go through.

Pete
Old May 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Pete,

That's some great info! I'll get started. I just finished an "Intro to CAD" class, so I'm more of a student than anything, but I really want to see what I can do with my new skills.

Thank you so much!
Kody
Old May 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein View Post
... can you point me to a discussion of the wing baking technique...?
Gary,

I didn't post this excellent link earlier because it was down... but here's the way I built my wing jig: http://codemonkeycrew.com/Articles/A...5/Default.aspx . My only "mods" were to make it smaller, use a compromise airfoil, and make it so that I could put wooden spacer strips between the aluminum sheets to facilitate molding different thicknesses of foam.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Got it ready to test fly today. Weight came out ok at this point 34grs WO battery, paint and other details that should put it at 35-36 grs when finished which will be fine my others fly great at 35grs.

The fake LeRhone spins and looks good. I need to paint the prop, plane and pilot, add the wind screen, LG fairings and rigging as well as tail struts. The Lewis gun is held on with micro magnets so it can pop off.

The Jello cup cowling came out great and looks real good.

I think the cowling, the exposed LeRhone and Lewis gun are tricky to get right on the Nieuport-11 but this came out pretty good. I can't wait to test fly and get some paint and decals on it.

The battery fits behind the fake LeRhone using a bigger Hyperion 180 or 240 flat battery will fit flush and I may make a hatch also after I teat fly I may be able to move it deeper into the fuselage and with a hatch it won't be seen.

I want to get started on my Gene tissue covered version. Once I get this one finished and off to Gene.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; May 27, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Gary,

I didn't post this excellent link earlier because it was down... but here's the way I built my wing jig: http://codemonkeycrew.com/Articles/A...5/Default.aspx . My only "mods" were to make it smaller, use a compromise airfoil, and make it so that I could put wooden spacer strips between the aluminum sheets to facilitate molding different thicknesses of foam.

Gene K
Great link Gene. Thank you. I like the thermoformer in the article. I can see building a slightly smaller version of the machine. At least it gives me some ideas. Off to Home Depot!
gklein is online now Find More Posts by gklein
Last edited by gklein; May 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Everything's working great including the ailerons...
Really, really nice, Pete. Can't thank you enough!

Where does the battery go?

Gene K
Old May 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Hey Gene,

I edited the previous post and added a picture of a 160 cell battery and details.

Well the first test flight was great! I just needed to add a little right aileron and some down elevator. She flys like a dream. I did a few loops but I didn't get to fancy since I had only a light weight 160 cell in. With a flat Hyperion 180 or 240 it will spot on CG so I don't think any down elevator will be needed. It was getting dark so I didn't get a chance to fly it with one. It was so so cool to have her fly right off the get go and be so stable.

I mixed the aileron & rudder at 35% and set the ailerons to 50% she has plenty of turn authority. I'm very happy with it and will start paint and details.

The spinning LeRhone even made it sound cool sorta like a period plane ) at least in my mind) I flew it fo over 4 min. before landing.

Pete
Old May 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,171 Posts
Can't wait for the video!
How many hours do you figure you have put unto this lovely plane?
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old May 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Thanks Blaz I can only tell you it took 19 days to get this far. Gene also has a ton of time on the builds as well as he's done the tissue covered one that I'll build next.

I pulled an all nighter Friday at least 8 hs, Saturday & Sunday 20+ - so you can see time adds up when you're having fun I got to do the marathon of time only because my girlfriend went out of town. I still have lots to do to finish this plane.

Got the prop painted. Easy to do. I lightly sand,clean then a coat of white primer, Testors MM acrylic Wood, a dark brown Sharpie pen and coat to seal with Tamiya clear Yellow x-24.

Pete
Old May 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Well the first test flight was great!
ROG or hand launch? Aileron rolls?

How did the sprung-gear work?

Are you going to make the pilot's head turn when you build yours?

Any other innovations up your sleeve?

Gene K?
Old May 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Sorry, I didn't have the time (daylight) to go to where I could ROG. Trust me there's tons of power and that won't be a problem. I think the only reason I even had to trim the right aileron was because there was a slight difference in the wing alignment that I have now fixed. I intend to fly the heck out of it later if winds allow. And if I can get Jin's butt out of bed to do video

I thought a needed detail was to put the pilots trigger pull on the Lewis gun that way if it pops off & it will if bumped during a landing and CA that wire to the
cockpit. I used thin brass bead wire.

LG works great! lots of spring.

No head turning British pilot yet. I need to sculpt a new one at some point.

Later I'll also add the gun pull wire to the top wing as best I can tell it released the front of the gun so it could be pulled down. Lots of minor detail to do I also have to make the tissue Decals.

I'm not sure about aileron rolls, I didn't want to get to fancy on it'd first flight

Oh, one thing I'm trying (you may not like) is I lightly brown chalked the lines I want to show and hope when I air brush some will show through the light tan/brown paint color.

Pete