HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Got the redone wings & tail feathers very cool Gene put the CF rods in the LE's

Thanks Gene, lots of work to do tonight.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
822 Posts
Thanks Gene! I learned from you!

No I didn't form in washout but that's a great idea. I will try it on the next wing.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old May 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Tissue Covering A Fuselage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackerman View Post
mtflyr, How about demonstrating the tissue covered fuse please.
Trackerman,

I'm not Pete, but here's some info from my perspective to supplement what Pete will be posting.

Doing a tissue covered fuselage for these WWI birds is much simpler than the wings!!!

1. Print out and mount the tissue to a piece of Depron as previously described, and then cut out the tissue/foam with a sharp Xacto. Mount any inside tissue like the cockpit sidewalls at this point.

IMG 0454 (1 min 15 sec)

Tissue Pull I (1 min 45 sec)

2. Since the paper plans are designed for (thinner than Depron) paper (DUH), adjust any formers, firewalls, etc to account for the foam thickness by trimming the outlines down by however thick the fuselage foam is (2mm in the case of the Nieuport). Any mating edges on the fuselage should be beveled according to the joint required - for example, for a right angle (as where the fuselage sides meet the bottom), bevel each edge 45 degrees. I use a sanding stick with the foam at the edge of my cutting board which is at the edge of my work table (but if you're good, you could hold the Xacto knife at the desired angle while cutting the pieces out).

3. Then color the edges of the foam to match the adjacent tissue colors - for me, pastels work great (a little messy, but simple - rub on/mix colors and smooth with a clean finger).

4. Next step is to form/bend any surfaces, such as the curve in the upper fuselage. For curves, use a brass tube and roll it over the foam while holding it tissue-side down in the palm of your hand. For larger pieces, roll the Depron on a soft surface such as a piece of foam rubber. The inside surface will form creases, but the outside will remain smooth.

4a. If a fold is required, score the inside of the foam with a steel ruler held on edge at a 45 degree angle - this creates a nice crease which facilitates the bending.

5. To join pieces, I use UHU Por carefully applied to each edge, letting it dry for a minute or so, and then carefully pressing the pieces together. I overuse the word "carefully", but there may still be some excess UHU on the tissue surface that needs to be cleaned. Rubbing over the excess UHU with a finger will usually produce a ball of adhesive which is easily rolled off the tissue. Alternatively, you can use the perfect UHU Por thinner/cleaner, lighter fuel (Naptha), to clean off excess UHU. However be aware that although the Naptha doesn't affect the lasered tissue, it does dissolve the adhesive holding the tissue to the foam, so some re-gluing may be required (with, for example, a UHU glue stick).

6. And finally, any ragged edges can be lightly sanded and touched up with pastels, and you can further use the pastels with a brush to highlight and weather the model to any degree that pleases you.

Easier done than said - here's a video recap:

Making A Tissue Covered Depron Fuselage (4 min 5 sec)

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; May 25, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Thank you for posting this great information.....I am working on a Nieuport right at the moment and the pictures make a great reference.....I am building just a basic foam model but as I said that the pictures are perfect for reference of the planes shape....I am going to use one of the planes from my flight sim "Rise of Flight" for a reference for painting the plane.....Eventually I may come back to this thread and try the actual techniques being explained...
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
Old May 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,724 Posts
This is really awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your great technique!
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old May 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
I am working on a Nieuport ... just a basic foam model ...I am going to use one of the planes from my flight sim "Rise of Flight" ....
That's one great simulator - the screenshot in post #16 is from Rise of Flight.

I hope you'll post an in-progress thread on building your model!

Gene K
Old May 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Will certainly post a thread..perhaps tonight....plane is coming along very well thanks to this thread....might even be able to install the electronic components tomorrow.....I really enjoy Rise of Flight.. very realistic sim... have created some missions for it as well as WW1 for CFS 1 and Over Flanders Fields...
Here is a link to my Rise of Flight missions.....screenshots included...

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewto...?f=347&t=21812
Last edited by sweeteye; May 25, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jul 2007
155 Posts
Thank you Brilliant

GeneK,
thank you for the tutorial, absolutely brilliant. Really appreciate you guys sharing so much with the rest of the aeromodelling world.

Cheers and again thank you

Trackerman
Trackerman is offline Find More Posts by Trackerman
Old May 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
Will certainly post a thread..perhaps tonight....plane is coming along very well....
Excellent - I'll look for it.

Quote:
Here is a link to my Rise of Flight missions.....screenshots included...
I KNOW that you're killing Pete since he's budgeting for a new high power computer .... to run Rise of Flight!

Gene K
Old May 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
You know...I have a fairly decent PC but nothing special....also have a fairly decent video card but once again nothing too special....I can run ROF with the sliders wide open and the sim runs beautifully for me....I could be wrong (I am certainly not a PC expert)but I do not think it takes a state of the art PC to run it....Probably a lot has to do with the video card....and having at least moderate power from the PC....Of course a high power PC would be like icing on the cake..Well back to RC..hoping the wind dies down a bit here....Have a Night Vapor I like to fly in my driveway/parking lot after dark....Kind of looking like a storm is coming....Really need the rain...it is so dry .
Last edited by sweeteye; May 25, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
mtflyr a link to your thread really needs to be here in the Sticky:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84771
This is all great work that should never go away.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old May 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Gene is The Man... I'm just the guy putting it together but it's great Team work. Also we all learn from each other here. This is a great place to do so in all the Forums and it's a ton of fun too.

Thanks Gene for posting all the cool video how tos etc.

I worked to install the fake LeRhone and made another Jello cup cowling. Got the LeRhone to spin free but I was hoping it would look better once painted, it didn't help much. Oh well... Gotta hope Toni comes through at some point with the Shapeways designed fake motors. That would be real cool to have detailed light weight fake motors in this scale.

Mounted the PZ P-51 motor & gearbox with some down thrust. Tomorrow I'll mount the brick etc.

Pete

Pete
Old May 26, 2012, 02:37 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,724 Posts
It *does* look better painted, and it looks really well - maybe a somewhat darker shade would go well with the rest of the plane?
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old May 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackerman View Post
Really appreciate you guys sharing so much with the rest of the aeromodelling world.
Thanks. Like Pete said, we're all learning from each other in great forums like RCGroups, and in that regard would like to point to this 2004 mentor thread which got me started in tissue printing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...er#post2603907 .

In that thread, two icons, Gordon Johnson and Paul Bradley do a terrific job laying out the process (and more) that I "refined" to suit my needs. Well worth reading.

Gene K
Old May 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Since I'm using an AR6400 and I know Gene likes ailerons on his planes, I thought I'd just add them for his bird.

I did this for my NP-25 and mix with the rudder on my DX7 and they work great.

I use winding wire wrapped around a pin and then use CA teflon tubes with bead wire push rods. I use a dab of 5 min. epoxy at the servo and cleared a hole in the top wing bottom for the servo to fit into and glue on with UHU. I brush painted now around all gears, will mask it before airbrusing when ready to do so. It will be fairly hidden.

Only thing yet to do is add the aileron horns and they will be done.

Pete