Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Refined Wings

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the wings -- the graphics were excellent (altho a bit dark), but the wings lacked depth. Accordingly, I reprinted the wing tissue, and applied thin strips of tape to the underside of the tissue at the rib locations.

I then cut a piece of carbon rod and bent it at midpoint using a soldering iron to set the wing sweep. Using UHU Por, I glued the rod to the leading edge of the baked (formed) Depron wing blank after making a channel by running the rod on its side along the leading edge.

After mounting and smoothing the tissue to the Depron wings, I rolled a brass tube between the ribs to develop slight troughs on the top of the wings (Nieuport wing covering was fairly taut, judging by photos). The rolling was done over a large diameter mailing tube to maintain the wing curve.

Overall, I was pleased with the results, so did the tail group in the same manner to give a more representative 3D surface.

The attached pics show my initial effort on a test strip, refining/learning as I go. I've already sent Pete the new wings and tail group

Refined wings - Adding Surface features (2 min 27 sec)

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; May 24, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
809 Posts
Gorgeous! I love the development of new techniques. Yours brings real life to the plane.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old May 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein View Post
Gorgeous! I love the development of new techniques. Yours brings real life to the plane.
Yes, Pete is definitely the The Man when it comes to these paper-to-Depron builds. Reading his past threads is like opening a treasure chest!

Gene K
Old May 24, 2012, 07:07 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Okay Gene, excellent the pressures on me now.... Love the new wings at this point if you make another fuselage I can save the foam one I have and just do yours in the tissue covered foam as you've done all the hard work on this build.

If Toni can do the fake LeRhones etc. this will be pretty cool. Although I'll continue with my foam LeRhone builds almost ready to paint them.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; May 24, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:50 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,172 Posts
Pete,
You are killing me with all this craftsmanship on my favorite planes too.
Hope you'll at least attend my funeral.
Maybe do a micro flyover....
sheesh!
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old May 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jul 2007
155 Posts
Fuselage

Mtflyer
How about demonstrating the tissue covered fuse please. Really appreciate what you are doing for micro aero modeling.

Trackerman.
Trackerman is offline Find More Posts by Trackerman
Old May 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Yes, Pete is definitely the The Man when it comes to these paper-to-Depron builds. Reading his past threads is like opening a treasure chest!

Gene K
Gene, can you point me to a discussion of the wing baking technique, if it is written in one of the threads? I have used two different methods but I am still looking to improve.

Thanks,

Gary
Old May 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
can you point me to a discussion of the wing baking technique, if it is written in one of the threads?
Gary,

I'll have to do some searching to recapture some of the references I used, but for starters, check out a recent summary here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=wing+bake+jig ; see here for plans for sale http://www.discconnect.com/FoamFly/wing_jig.htm ; and see these videos

Depron Wing Baking Jig (4 min 3 sec)

Baking Jig (0 min 10 sec)

I made three over-engineered jigs last Christmas that ended up with me, Pete, and Jin (jingjingjing). Works great for me but I've seen simpler jigs...as a plain airfoil shaped piece of wood that is used with an Ace bandage to hold the foam to the wood as it's baked.

Gene K
Old May 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
This is one of the best How-To threads ever! I really appreciate, not only hte instruction, but the inspiration as well.

A couple of questions:

Some foam plans/kits recommend drawing the wing over a table edge to form the camber in to a wing. What is the advantage of heat forming the wing as opposed to the other method?

What type of tissue did you use? What was your source?
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old May 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Thanks guys but Gene is the man... on this build. I just got his excellent built to scale foam LG wheels for the build/s

I'll add a small diameter brass tube to slide the main wheel axle into. very and light weight too.

To fit the fake spinning LeRhone in the cowling I'm going to use the thin plastic Jellow cups seen in the pictures when cut right they are very close to the scale of this builds cowling and thin enough to have the fake LeRhone motors spin

Can't wait for the re-done wings to arrive.

Now I have to get going on these builds Gene put the pressure on me...

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; May 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Appreciate your comments, Ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRangel View Post
What is the advantage of heat forming the wing as opposed to the other method (drawing over a table edge)?
The jig permanently bakes the curve into the wing as opposed to compressing it by hand-forming it over a curved edge in which case the foam memory will over time result in some loss of the curve (get around this by reinforcing the foam with some strategically placed wing ribs).

Quote:
What type of tissue did you use? What was your source?
As I mentioned in post 11, I just use "regular" packing tissue as sold in any department store/drugstore. My latest batch was bought from CVS as a Christmas special for less than $2.00 for 25 sheet pack of 20"x20". Other tissue I've liked is that from K-Mart.

Gene
Old May 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
Sorry I missed that in post 11--I was distracted by the excellent videos and gorgeous pictures. I guess I just assmed it was Japanese tissue like the rubber power and some of the balsa micro builders use..
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old May 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
809 Posts
Thanks Gene for the videos on the wing forming! I'll try using video here for more than just maidens.

I have been working on a different forming technique - not perfect yet but getting some good results.

I quickly shape a balsa plank into an airfoil shape lay it in the bottom of a tall sided cooking pan, place the foam over it, lay a sheet of tinfoil over that and then pour in several pounds of sand and throw it in the oven. Twenty minutes at 200F and I have my airfoil shape. Worked well on some tapered wings I just formed.

I raise the balsa form slightly off the bottom of the pan and get a better form at the leading edge for tighter radii.

If anyone tries this they have to take into account the heat sink of the sand. Longer to form and do not take it directly from the oven and unload: let it cool down before removing the sand weight. I am currently looking for a taller container to increase the weight on the foam.

So here's my first try at a "technique video".

Sand forming of Depron (1 min 22 sec)
Old May 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
I have been working on a different forming technique - not perfect yet but getting some good results.
Very clever!! The results are more than just good - excellent, for sure.

Also, that's an "Entertaining" video - I'm still smiling about your "highly technical" sand pouring technique. Judging from that first video, you're on your way to becoming a video star - hope to see more.

Did you carve any washout into your wing form? Using the wing jig I have, I can introduce a little wash out by skewing the Depron in the jig (trailing edge further from the front of the form).

Gene K