HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Thanks Gene,

I've seen various period pictures with different gun sights on the NP's some had a big site as I put on my top wing. I don't think this bird had this sight but I liked it and added it.

I used thin brass bead wire wrapped around a tube CA'ed and CA'ed on the crosshairs.

I can't wait to see Toni's Shapeways stuff, of course I'll then build yet another NP

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Thanks Gene,
I can't wait to see Toni's Shapeways stuff, of course I'll then build yet another NP
As a little progress update, I've just upgraded my computer, so I've been busy installing software... And I'm about to continue with them.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Thanks Toni for the up date. I'm still excited about your designed micro items should be the best and really the only stuff right now out there for this scale.

I wish more was availble for these birds.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Good stuff... My friend Gene sent me some great thread thin elastic rigging material. I said you can get 100' for $12 enough to last a long time. So far this stuff is great. In the picture you can see the web address. Though I have not finished my rigging you can see the flex with the screwdriver.

I highly recommend this stuff for micro WWI rigging.

Pete
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
I found some of this stuff at my local craft store. It's simply amazing. $2.49 for about 32ft. and you save on shipping.

http://www.joann.com/stretch-magic-5...olors/prd8990/
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,172 Posts
Pete
when are you going to make these available as athe kit to the rest of us salivating souls?
Or better yet, auction off one you are less than thrilled with and make room on the shelf
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
I found some of this stuff at my local craft store. http://www.joann.com/stretch-magic-5...olors/prd8990/
Thanks for that tip. Does it come thinner than .5mm (which seems thick)?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Thanks Blaz,

As I said anyone can do this it's easy using enlarged paper model plans.

I will see if I can talk Jin into doing another kit to match his great Sopwith Triplane.
He's thinking on doing another plane. I'd love it if he'd do a Nieuport ( love how they look when flying)

PC49,

I'll check that stuff out, thanks.

Pete
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:53 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I will see if I can talk Jin into doing another kit to match his great Sopwith Triplane.
He's thinking on doing another plane

Pete

Yes PLEASE!

I love Jin's tripe. What a great kit. I was just flying it last night at dusk along with the FZ Dr1

A Neuiport would be great. Or for a real challenge a DH2.
Both of my attempts with the DH2 kit available on RCGROUPS were less than pleasing. It flew just enough to tease about how great a string bag could look
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Gene K
Gene,

You are right. .5mm is quite thick. For my application, which was a peanut scale biplane, I thought that it looked fine. If you do happen to stumble upon it at a craft store, you can see what you think about the gauge, as the cord is visible in the packaging.

Kody

NOTE--The link that I posted yesterday is for the CLEAR cord, not the black cord! My mistake!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Gene K
I got some stretchy bead wire from a DIY jewelry store on Ebay that's 0.25mm. Thats the thinnest I could find. All it says on the reel is 'Strong & Stretchy Crystal String' and 0.25. It's out there if you can find it!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
.25mm

.05mm!!!!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Pete,

I am getting back to work after taking a long vacation and have a favor to ask of you (or anyone else that can help). Would you be able to take a measurement of the PZ gearbox for me? I am trying to find out how large the indent needs to be in the back of the crankcase. I am thinking that a gap of 1mm will be enough. I am measuring from the center of the prop shaft to the outermost section of the brass gear. I get 10mm. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Kody
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,280 Posts
For anyone wanting more scale diameter rigging wire than the stretchy bead wire mentioned above, look into 4X and 5X fly fishing tippet material. However, it does NOT stretch - much - but it is very fine and very strong (much stronger than scale).

Get it online at any fishing.sporting goods outlet (I get mine at Cabelas.com), or any well stocked walk-in tackle store.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,941 Posts
Hey Kody,

I got 9mm from the Center of the shaft. 10mm should be fine.

I finished the rigging and only need to paint the pilot to be done with this bird. Note: I did not place the elevator horns on the elevator as I didn't want to have any problems with the elevator at some point I'll do a pull pull Nieuport.

Thanks 356. I'm now hooked on the stretchy stuff.

Pete