Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Pecking Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
What!
Yes, I was first, and then you jumped on after me, to wit your words on Jon's Camel thread: "Hey DB put me on that list too (to possibly get a Camel kit from Jon)".

For anyone who hasn't seen Jon's superb workmanship, check out his blog and this thread:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post21388307.

OK, back to being on-topic.... (that means you can't whine any more about the pecking order, Pete).

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Now, now gentleman, enough of the queue barging!

I'm afraid progress is fairly non existent with the Camel. I made the mistake of making my dummy motor before planning to make my dummy motor so who's the dummy now?

Pic shows the devestation after dissasembly!

I'm using a Plantraco GB03/4 geared setup. I need to sit down and work out how best to build the dummy around it as it does protrude quite far out of the 'firewall'.

I feel a bit guilty as I intended to make some Depron parts for you guys but I havent even got the moulds out yet. Its getting a bit busy with the imminent arrival of the P51 and Fw190 profile kits but it's still a poor excuse.

Guess I'll have to let the guilt build until I can take it no more!!!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
What!!!!!

Hey Kody,

How's your motor going?

Thanks,

Pete
Hey Pete,

I talked to Toni and George Kandylakis and they told me that I had some parts that would be too fragile for printing and handling. I also had some holes in my drawing that I had to fix. Once both of these things were handles, I went to export my file and found that it's not watertight, so I have to sort through the whole thing and try to find the disconnect in parts, which could be as small as a millionth of an inch. Fun... I'm still working on it.

Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Keep at it. Don't forget about the need to be able to slip the PZ P-51 motor gearbox into the back as far as possible that small brass spur gear sits low.

That's if this is the combination motor gearbox you're designing for.

Cool stuff.

Jon,

Is your's balsa and paper? Not bad for how very micro it must be.

Thanks,

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Keep at it. Don't forget about the need to be able to slip the PZ P-51 motor gearbox into the back as far as possible that small brass spur gear sits low.

That's if this is the combination motor gearbox you're designing for.

Cool stuff.

[...]

Thanks,

Pete
I have a lot to learn about purposeful design. Focus was lost during the building process and I began drawing an engine that was pretty to look at instead of functional. In other words, modifying my design for the PZ gearbox is something that still needs to be done.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Guess I'll have to let the guilt build until I can take it no more!!!
Now we're talkin'!

Gene K

(I can't imagine all the detail work you must be going through getting the P-51 and FW-190 kits into production. Quite an undertaking!)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Jon,

I agree with Gene but you've now pretty much done it!

I installed the top under wing servo for the ailerons.
I need some 15 strand blue .38 bead wire, bummer I'm out and it's hard to find they seem to have every other size except that.

Pete
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,348 Posts
Quote:
...............installed the top under wing servo for the ailerons. I need some 15 strand blue .38 bead wire, bummer I'm out and it's hard to find they seem to have every other size except that.............Pete
What did you use for the sheath/tubing?
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Jim,

I use tefflon CA applicator tubing my LHS sells it in 3' lengths it's pretty cheap.

The blue coated 7 strand .015"/.38mm bead wire works great as a push rod in that micro tefflon tubing.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
I wondered about what was being used for the micro's ailerons. I bought a Triton foam kit. The Triton has a T-tail and uses tube and a flexible pushrod of some sort. Truth is that while I wondered, I really haven't put any research in to it. Do you all make your own from tubing and wire? Are there commerical products out there? Pete gets teflon tubing from the FLHS, but where might the rest us obtain such tubing? Inquiring minds want to know.... :-)
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRangel View Post
Pete gets teflon tubing from the FLHS, but where might the rest us obtain such tubing? Inquiring minds want to know.... :-)
Ray,

Most RC shops I know sell the tubing, but there are lots of places on-line, for example, I got mine here: http://www.tailboom.com/teflon.php. Comes in a variety of sizes, and you can shrink it down by stretching it (instructions on that web page).

See this thread for more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817764.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
Thanks Speedy. That respnse sure was...uh...speedy...
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Well after a visit to Arlington National Cemetary and some time with family.

I worked on the NP and had the first test flights it flew great after I tweaked the wings a bit and got it trimed for flying

She looked great in the air but I still have lots to do to finish it up. I need to add the LG faired foam legs, paint the pilot, add the wind screen and paint the prop.

I let it get porky and she's 38grs but she flys great so I don't care.

Pete
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
After just a few flights and landings the plastic prop shaft extension tube cracked.

So I used a brass tube and JB Weld for the extension, much better

Added the LG faired foam legs around the thin wire LG and used thin CF rods for it's rigging and added a wire gun sight. I still need to rig the wings, paint the pilot and add additional details.

Pete
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
I used a brass tube and JB Weld for the [prop shaft] extension, much better
Sounds like the way to do it for me too, since I never could get the 1.5mm drill blanks threaded.

Quote:
... used thin CF rods for [LG] rigging and added a wire gun sight.
Nice workmanship on the LG braces - what diameter CF rod did you use?

As for the gunsight, I didn't realize it was anchored to the top wing. We've come a long way from that to the helmet mounted computerized sights of today. In that regard, here are some interesting words I picked off the The Aerodrome site concerning the gun:

QUOTE: The Nieuport 11 "Bébé" was equipped with a machine gun, (Lewis or Hotchkiss) with a round (drum) magazine, on upper wing. There was not a system as it was the case for Se5a allowing the pilot to reload the machine gun while keeping sitting into the cockpit . With Nieuport 11 it was necessary for the pilot to stand up, holding the stick between the knees, and change the drum. (that was a problem for the Hotchkiss with only 47 cartridges in a magazine) But no problem for firing -the trigger was operated by a cable connecting the machine gun to the pilot. UNQUOTE

You also did a masterful job on that gun!

Gene K