Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr
Kody,

I have the brick and battery up as far as possible, given the fake LeRhone position and she trims out ok. What I meant was having a fake LeRhone or other motor and items up front in these short nosed WWI birds helps to get the CG. Using the PZ/P-51 set up also helps since the motor is 8mm (heavy) and it can put out enough power to have some speed. I can also fly pretty scale slow too.

I think you'll be okay with 3grs. Do you have anymore pictures of your CAD LeRhone and how would it be made? Sounds cool we need more of this 1:20-1:24 scale detail stuff.

Pete
That's great news for me, Pete. I managed to get things down to 1.53g. Increasing weight by adding material is easy in the program. There is also access to the inside of the cylinder to add weights if need be, but it's probably not a great idea to add weight on a spinning engine.

The rundown of making the engine goes a bit like this: I collected a whole bunch of pictures of the engine and studied them intensely. In AutoCAD, I began making the separate parts of the engine, eyeballing almost everything because of the lack of detailed plans out there. Larger parts were hollowed out to save weight, money, and printing time. Each part was then assembled to make the engine pictured below. It is exported from AutoCAD's .dwg format to the .stl format that Shapeways can read. The file is uploaded onto a Shapeways account. From there, it's a credit card number and some shipping info and you have yourself a 1/20th [stand-way-off] scale Le Rhone.

Clearly, that's a broad-brush overview of making these parts. If you'd like any specific information, I'd be glad to give it.

After I get some feedback from George and Toni, I'll post it to my Shapeways store so that it will be available for purchase. Sans shipping, the cost is $10.17. Add $6.50 shipping to the U.S. and your total comes to $16.67. I don't think that I'll be selling these for profit, as the increase in price would turn modelers off of them. Essentially, I'm giving the design away.

Please let me know if I can add any more detail or fix any goof ups (pushrods will be going in soon).

Kody

P.S.--I'm not trying to take anything from Toni. He is an absolute PRO at what he does and my engine does not hold a candle to his work.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Last edited by PiperCub49; Jun 12, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
I have re-read this thread many times ... and, as advised, I looked up and read some of you other build threads.

I can only speak for myself ... but I think you have given the building community an incredible gift. I cannot tell you what I have learned from this thread and others that you have done. I can't wait to begin on my own projects.

Could I ask that you consider doing a similar thread covering the building of an a/c that has a round fuselage, and maybe a canopy, such as the F4-F Wild or maybe an F6-F Hellcat?

Thank you very much for your fine work and willingness to share.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Hey Kody,

That looks great. I think there's room for all here and the more and varied micro items available I think the better. I wish I had the skills you guys have. As my friends Gene,Jin, Paul and Toni know I'm a computer dinosaur these guys and guys who can do this cool stuff are what make this hobby so interesting and fun.

Be sure to check your design for what motor system you want to use with it. For the PZ P-51 motor & gearbox, you need to take into account the small spur grear and the main gear to be able to function. Tony cut away the back side in his design. Also will it be a free wheel design? I'm not sure which would use less energy. Given the shaft length it must be thin so there's enough shaft to clear the cowling and get a prop on. I had to flip the shaft on mine and do some work on it and the big gear to get the extra length needed. Gene's working on making a possible longer 1.5mm shaft. Again this is a combined effort. So any ideas are welcome. Good work.

Oddshot,

Thanks but this web site and the folks who do this hobby all are able to learn from each other. I think it's so cool to be able to talk to folks from around the world and share ideas. I learned from folks here.

It's funny but I've only ever built WWI or II war birds as I love to read about those who flew them. I get stuck in a certain theater of operations or time and get into it. As of yet I've only made one PTO plane that was a Micro P-38 I made for Gene. Now I'm really into the WWI birds and may be stuck here for a while.

I have not gotten into our Naval birds at least not yet. My friend Jin did an awesome F4U before the PZ one as well as an F-86. He's taking a break but may soon offer some micro kits just as with his Micro Sopwith Triplane kit.

Find a plane and plan you want to try and start a build thread folks will help as you go along if you need any.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
P.S.--I'm not trying to take anything from Toni.
Heh

It's not like I had time to model every single engine in the world. And I'm mostly doing these things for myself and friends of mine. So I'll help however I can. Just sent you a reply. I think it looks pretty good. Only a couple things I noticed that could be changed. Nice work!

Toni
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Last edited by Lupus78; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
Could I ask that you consider doing a similar thread covering the building of an a/c that has a round fuselage, and maybe a canopy, such as the F4-F Wild or maybe an F6-F Hellcat?
I think Pete has done quite a many WW2 birds from depron during the last ten years or so. Look up for his threads in RCGroups. That's where I'm currently looking for any possible ideas for the current build of mine. I'm using the same methods but a bit bigger scale and thicker 3mm depron for my Fokker D.XXI. I'm going to model some detail parts and a Mercury engine for this plane, as well as cockpit kit with pilot.
Last edited by Lupus78; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
I'm thinking it would be a bit stronger ... if it had a couple formers in the fuse. Your thoughts?
Pete's my mentor, and, as he said, he doesn't (usually) use formers ....but I like to use them ... sparingly , not so much for strength, but to set and retain cross-section shapes. See the following video.

Quote:
do you think that this building technique would be OK for a roundr fuselage, ....?
Absolutely - the video shows an example MiG-17 (which is awaiting HH MiG-15 guts after I finally get it and then "wear out" the airframe).

Formers (2 min 9 sec)

Quote:
What about some type of doublers for wing saddles?
Couldn't hurt, but I don't think they are needed considering the weight they would add.

Looking forward to your build thread!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus78 View Post
I'm using the same methods but a bit bigger scale and thicker 3mm depron for my Fokker D.XXI. I'm going to model some detail parts and a Mercury engine for this plane, as well as cockpit kit with pilot.
Leave enough room for a Helium sausage....

Gene K
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Thanks Gene.

I started building with balsa back in the 1960's. I got out of the hobby at the beginning of the foam revolution. The first foam plane I bought was a Sturdy Birdie ... and i was told by a million guys that it would never fly. And, actually, it never has. I still have it ... and hope to fly it once I get better with the Champ. Every stick built place I can think of was filled with formers and bulkheads of some type.

As soon as my orders start coming in (DON"T tell my wife), I'm starting that PT 19 I've been annoying people about. Being a rectangular box, with a curved top ... I'll be using the techniques found in this thread and your vid.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
I pulled a late nighter tonight and got some work done on my Nieuport-1.
It's starting to take shape.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 15, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Leave enough room for a Helium sausage....
Hope that won't be necessary!

As with the printed Clerget, the motor weight for the Fokker shouldn't be too high. And it's right up in the nose. I'll keep it as light as possible and leave the backside open. The major features for the cockpit I thought of making out of 1mm depron you generously sent me, combined with 1mm cf rods (for the tubular structure) and 3d printed detail parts (pilot, instruments etc). Shouldn't add much weight.

But I think I'll study if I could do the Mercury engine out of depron...

Pete: I have no idea why you would want my 3d printed engines. Your handmade engines are gorgeous!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:15 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Beautiful work here chaps. The tissued surfaces have such a fabulous texture and old world look and those rotary engines are just fabulous.

I'm really struggling with the Clerget on the Camel. I need to leave so much room for the pinion and sprocket that unfortunately I've downed tools in protest!!

But with threads like this it cant last long. Have to get the coffee on and do a Pete.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:49 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
It's staring to take shape.
A typical Pete understatement!

How did you build up the prop hub?

Attached is your model with some of the tissue decals - which I applied by placing the tissue in position, and then painting with two coats of Minwax.

Gene K
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Thanks Toni and Jon, I'm a hurting unit today... I'm going to bed at 8:00 tonight

Jon please finish your Camel that is such a Micro cool build... I wish I could do the things you've been able to do.

Gene,

Excellent job on the decals it really needed those to finish it up a little brown & black chalk now for some light weathering...

Thanks,

Pete
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
I'm really struggling with the Clerget on the Camel. I need to leave so much room for the pinion and sprocket that unfortunately I've downed tools in protest!!
Jon,

Are you using a stock prop shaft?

As Pete said, I'd certainly also appreciate your treating us to more progress on the Camel!

Gene K

P.S. Don't forget your words: "If I do manage to pull a full set of parts again I'll let you (Gene K) know (before Pete)!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
What!!!!!

Hey Kody,

How's your motor going?

Thanks,

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM.