HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Discussion
will extend wing span = More power for my plane ?

so i'm currently re-build my plane using an old undercamber wing from my 24 inch blu-baby.
the old plane have a profile fuse, so this plane will be a little heavier, i'm sitting here thinking what if i stretch my plane wing span to 30+ inches ( same chord, same airfoil, same power system. etc )

will the gliding be better since wing loading will be lower ?

p/s : i'm pretty sure i have to increase my vertical stab size too. am i right ?
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Last edited by StewieRC; May 18, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
830 Posts
i think yes to all. but wait for some of the smart guys to answer.
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old May 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i'm thinking the same thing too, a slightly longer wingspan = more lift therefor i can climb faster.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
I did the same thing.
The longer span added more weight and drag, so it didn't seem to climb much better because it took more power.
But it did glide better.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old May 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
well the entire purpose of this plane is too climb up really high shut down the power to glide and record video footage.
Look like i'll give this a try then, if the glide performance is increase by just a little bit, i'm one happy camper.

@butch777 is there anything i should know about, did you increase the size of your elevator or vertical stabilizer at all ?
Old May 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
In a word, no. What most rc pilots consider a climb has more to do with how much thrust your motor can produce than how much lift your wing creates.
Eclipse_7 is online now Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old May 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
The higher the aspect ratio of your wing, the more efficient it should be. So the effect should be a better glide. Pitch should not be a problem, but a longer wing will dampen your rudder inputs, a larger rudder would counteract that.
Eclipse_7 is online now Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old May 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
so stretching a 24 inch undercamber wing to 30 inch will only improve the glide, not the climbing part right ?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
so stretching a 24 inch undercamber wing to 30 inch will only improve the glide, not the climbing part right ?
Correct sir. It will more than likely allow slower flying as well. You are probably going to want to add power for what you are planning.
NFA Fabrication is offline Find More Posts by NFA Fabrication
Old May 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
....so this plane will be a little heavier,....
If you want the plane to climb better and fly for longer on the same powertrain then by far and away the best way to do it is make the plane lighter. Adding lightness will both improve the rate of climb AND slow down the rate of descant in the glide.

If the plane is significantly heavier and the powertrain is the same then it's performance in terms of climb and overall duration will almost certainly be worse.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i'm looking at around 1:1 thrust ratio if i stretch the wing out a little bit, i guess i will stretch it out, i'm currently using my power system on a 2s right now, waiting for 2 3s battery to get here from China ( 3s will give me an extra 70g of thrust, bring the thrust ratio to around 1:4 )
Old May 18, 2012, 01:43 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
In theory if you have a thrust/weight ratio greater than 1:1 then 'any' wing is only slowing your climb down. If you can climb vertical then all your lift is coming from the prop so a bigger wing is just adding weight and drag which will slow the climb down, not speed it up.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:58 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Thanks, now i know that longer wing will not help the on the plane climbing part ( mine 24 inch can climb at a 45 degrees angle on 3/4 throttle )

a longer wing will only help the gliding + weight carrying capacity right ?
Old May 18, 2012, 07:07 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
longer wing will only help the gliding + weight carrying capacity right ?
Yeah, providing nothing else changes.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Quote:
i'm looking at around 1:1 thrust ratio if i stretch the wing out a little bit, i guess i will stretch it out, i'm currently using my power system on a 2s right now, waiting for 2 3s battery to get here from China ( 3s will give me an extra 70g of thrust, bring the thrust ratio to around 1:4 )
And your ESC/motor combo will take 3s? If it originally used 2s, no guarantee it'll be OK with 3s. Check before you burn something.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy